cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme with 3930k resets back when windows 7 loads

Dragriffin
Level 7
Hello,
I'm fairly new to the forum and to the world of overclocking. I built my first PC and everything seems to run smooth on it:
Here's what I have:

Mobo: Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: 3930k 3.2g
Mem: Corsair Dominator quad 16gb 2133
Graph: GeForce GTX 560
PSU: Corsair 850X Pro

Now on to my problem. Regardless of the type of everclocking I try to do in the bios, when windows 7 loads, it switches back to standard specs. For exemple, I try setting it as a first try to a multiplier of 38. OC Key shows that it it updated, windows loads, back to 32.
I followed the guide from ROG that Raja made, to no avail. There's absolutely no change. I didn't make any extra changes except what was suggest by Raja because it failed on the first run. Although, when I try the AI Suite II with the TurboV EV to level up to 4.250 Ghz, everything works...So I don't really unterstand what isn't working here...
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thank you
Drake
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Forgive me if this is a dumb question but are you saving the bios settings when you exit?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Forgive me if this is a dumb question but are you saving the bios settings when you exit?

If you mean by there that I'm pressing F10 (save and reset) by there, I think I am. Unless I missed something. And everything works fine down right to the moment where the windows logo appears and it goes back to 3200.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah...F10...sorry but you never know:)

How are you checking the overclock? with CPUz or something else....maybe the overclock is up and running but whatever you're using to check it is bugged in windows?

Are you checking it under load?

Also sometimes if an overclock fails the board repeatedly boots to safe defaults. You have to clear cmos....unplug the psu and take the battery out for a good while.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yeah...F10...sorry but you never know:)

How are you checking the overclock? with CPUz or something else....maybe the overclock is up and running but whatever you're using to check it is bugged in windows?

Are you checking it under load?

Also sometimes if an overclock fails the board repeatedly boots to safe defaults. You have to clear cmos....unplug the psu and take the battery out for a good while.

I'm using CPU Z and Also validating with the OC Key. Both of them confirm 3200. I'll try to clear CMOS as you said and come back to you on it.

Dragriffin wrote:
I'm using CPU Z and Also validating with the OC Key. Both of them confirm 3200. I'll try to clear CMOS as you said and come back to you on it.

Ok, so I tried resetting the CMOS, still nothing happens. I don't understand because I'm not doing any crazy tweaking, just the basics. Anything else I can try, maybe there's some overclocking protection within windows?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Post a screenshot of your BIOS screen - F12 will save the screen to a Fat formatted USB stick.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Post a screenshot of your BIOS screen - F12 will save the screen to a Fat formatted USB stick.

I'll post it tonight. Thanks.