cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme - Windows not Booting - Error AE - Legacy Boot Event

dbit
Level 7
So it's been a while since I've been here. I'd imagine like a lot of people, I built my system, tweaked it until I found some conservative settings that worked good for everyday use, and kind of let it be.

Today I booted up to a black screen and flashing black cursor. I can get into the BIOS just fine. I opened the machine up and reseated my sata and power cables, but no dice. I noticed the code on my readout was AE, which when I looked up mentioned 'Legacy Boot Error'. I also noticed when I went into the BIOS flashback settings, that I only had 2 options, Force Boot BIOS 2, and Copy BIOS 1 to BIOS 2. When I looked up in the manual it showed I should have the Force 1 and copy 2 to 1 as well, but these don't appear.

Based on these symptoms can anybody offer suggestions for next steps? This happened suddenly and without incident, as I'm sure many failures do.

Any and all information is much appreciated!
5 REPLIES 5

Nate152
Hi dbit

Is your ssd/hdd showing up in boot option 1? If it is code AE usually means it's looking for an operating system.

Please list all your hardware and what windows version you're using.

dbit
Level 7
I'm not at home right now to give a super detailed breakdown, but the OS drive is a crucial m.4 256 SSD, and it does show up in my boot options, however when the machine boots I only see it scan the two DVD drives. I've removed all media and ports. Does seeing the m4 listed in the boot options mean that the board is in fact connecting to the drive?

The Windows is vr 7 home professional. I can give you more detailed specs when I get in if it's helpful!

Nate152
Try disconnecting all drives except the cruciail M4 with the OS on it.

On the boot tab enable CSM.

Any luck booting ?

dbit
Level 7
Sorry, I had to head out of town. Right before I left I accidentally hit another option on the boot page, something like boot error override or some such and it booted right up. I just got back and haven't had time to go look at what it was or see if it boots consistently, but I'll report back!*

Nate152