cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme RAM Guide

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
EDIT: IB-E has surfaced since I put together this guide. It will have slightly different RAM handling and posibilities, though the exact details on this are of course still emerging.

If you're headed down the IB-E road a good start would be to read Raja's preliminary guide here
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38018-Guide-Easy-Overclocking-with-Ivy-Bridge-E-%96-The-Lis...

What follows will be sometimes more and sometimes less applicable.

For SB-E it's more more than less....if you see what I mean
:confused:

INTRODUCTION

OK, so first things first: One thing you should know - X79 is picky with RAM! And the RIVE is a high end board that caters for a market that, it is assumed, wants and knows how to tweak RAM as part of fine tuning and is therefore even more difficult to please. This basically means that the RAM you buy for this platform and this board has to be suitable for it and that you should expect to have to make adjustments in setting it up.

Lets also be very clear from the start; that Intel rates the chipset to run at 1600 MHz so any frequency above this is considered OVERCLOCKING. XMP profiles are just this, overclocking profiles. Also you have to know that the Memory Controller (IMC) is now situated on the CPU so it also comes down to the “silicon lottery” if you get a CPU with an IMC that is able to handle quad channel at higher frequencies. Every time you step up frequencies 1866, 2133, 2400 etc. you are increasing the chances that a less capable IMC shows itself in some way; either meaning extra tweaking or, in the worst case, that the RAM does not work.

CHOOSING RAM

The RIVE is not a cheap date!! You should really be looking at a quality product tested to work on the board for the greatest chance of running your RAM. Buying “value” RAM (it used to be called cheap ;)), might well mean problems. Manufacturers BIN their RAM chips and as always you get what you pay for. Better quality chips are binned together to form the better quality and higher frequency kits.

An important point about BINNING! One kit of RAM is made up of chips that the manufacturer tests to work together. This kit is, as such, an entirely self contained self sufficient entity. A common assumption is that another kit of the same make and model will be identical and will work in harmony with the other. This is simply not true. Running multiple kits is not advised by any manufacturer (read the small print) and is definitely not advised on X79 in general, the RIVE included. Buy one kit of RAM of whatever size and frequency you want from the start! Don’t plan to upgrade by adding another kit at a later date. It is possible and other people do it....but you could say the same of dating Eva Mendes...are you that lucky? https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

How much RAM? Well, this is up to you but it is also dependent on your Operating System....your OS. Different OSes support different RAM quantities:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

What frequency RAM? Again this is up to you but I would suggest a sweet spot at the high end for the RIVE is 2133. Not the very top, but that step back leaves you more chance that your IMC can do it and the performance will still be right up there!

Sometimes you'll see funny numbers associated with RAM kits...just divide them by 8 for MHz:

10666 is 1333MHz
12800 is 1600Mhz
14900 is 1866Mhz
16000 is 2000Mhz
17000 is 2133Mhz
19200 is 2400MHz

Choosing a frequency is sometimes also complicated a bit by the timings of the RAM. There is a formula that can help you in deciding if one kit is faster than the other when the timings are taken into account.

(CAS/frequency) x 2000 gives you a number in nanoseconds for comparing speeds.

Say you see a 1600 kit at 7-8-7-20 and a 1866 kit at 9-10-9-28 which is faster?
Well 7/1600 x 2000 = 8.75 nanoseconds; 9/1866 x 2000 = 9.646 so the 1600 kit actually looks quicker.

If these numbers are close or the same choose the higher frequency it will be more efficient.

What kits work with your RIVE? The first and most obvious place to look for compatible RAM is the ASUS QVL. You can get this from the Motherboard’s downloads page on the ASUS website. “R4E-DRAM-QVL”:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Rampage_IV_Extreme/#download
This list should be relatively up to date and pretty extensive. However, ASUS don’t test every kit of RAM available against the board, even from the top vendors. So, if you have a favorite vendor you can check their website to see if they themselves have tested a kit with the RIVE and certified it compatible. For example:
Corsair Memory Configurator: http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore?id=12373
G.Skill RAM Configurator: http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator

The listing of these two companies is not random. They both produce some excellent kits that work great on X79 and the RIVE in particular. G.Skill Z series in particular being a good choice.

A quick note on Corsair Vengeance RAM: I personally would stay away from this RAM. The forum is full of threads where the problems turn out to be with these kits. Corsair is a good manufacturer and I have nothing against their higher end kits, in fact I have no problem in recommending them. But they have dropped the ball on this line on X79…they just don’t work on many X79 boards; or in harmony with the CPU’s IMC.

SETTING UP YOUR RAM

OK, so you've done a bit of research and bought yourself a kit that is rated to work and you like the color of 😉 (You haven’t picked a kit for the color, that might or might not work!!:rolleyes:) What now?

Now you have to fit it to the board….simple right? Well, yes and no. There are a whole load of problems that can be caused at this stage. The RIVE does not have latches at both ends. Only the top ends have lever locks. Believe it or not but it is perfectly possible to fit your RAM and close the locks at one end and have the RAM badly seated. This has been the solution to a great many problem threads. Double check that the RAM stick has seated with a nice “click” at both ends and give it a gentle wiggle to make sure it’s seated properly. Other things you can do at this stage.. blow out the ram slot with a lens blower or can of compressed air if you are having issues.

Placement:

If you want to run triple channel A1 B1 D1 works fine.

Right, it’s in and seated properly and when you get to the BIOS it is all showing up as it should. Next step is to set XMP in AI Overclock Tuner, choose a profile if you have more than one, save and exit BIOS and boot into the OS.(Great visual guide here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27272-A-Beginner-s-Guide-To-Setting-Up-RAM-Speed&country=&s... ) Done! Well, I hope so…but if you’re reading this maybe it didn't go so well.
56 REPLIES 56

Hi,

I have purchased 16gb(2X8gb) corsair vengeance kit(CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R). I want to know whether it will work on rampage iv extreme, I've checked the QVL but my kit is not listed in fact none is listed with 8gb sticks. if I plan to add another kit with same specs, will it work?

49771Hello. Having trouble installing ram. I ordered my system with 32gb. I went to add 16 gb more of quality ram (16GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz RipjawsX Series for Intel/AMD ) and when I try to restart the computer it turns on for a few seconds and then turns off. The screen never goes to anything other than black. The ram I currently have is DDR3 PC12800/1600Ghz 4pcof 8gb each.

Please help. Any suggestions?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi harshil111

A definitive yes or no is impossible to give but Vengeance has a bad track record on X79.

Having said that it is not really whether the board will run it but the CPU. The memory controller is on the CPU these days and the strength of this IMC is the key thing.

There are a number of things you can do to increase the probability of success running RAM on X79...In this order: buy lower frequency... buy single binned kits... buy from the QVL... buy smaller size modules.

The most important of these will be frequency and since the RAM you have is low frequency I should think it will work. But the other things don't exactly work in it's favor and adding a second kit later is definitely looking for trouble. I would not try that. Certainly not without an easy refund policy from the seller.

Hi Arne,

I read at quite a few forums that ram kits consist of individual sticks packed together such that all the sticks the ram sticks with same specs are the same, therefore if you combine two dual channel kits it becomes a quad channel kit. Is it so? And by the way if you ask me about the processor it's an i7 3930k.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'm afraid that is categorically not true. The chips on the sticks that make up one RAM kit are binned to work together. RAM of the same make/model that comes off the line even an hour later but in a different kit may well not work with another kit.

Two dual channel kits do not make a quad channel kit...they remain two kits and the XMP profile might not work for both etc. One quad channel kit can make two dual channel kits easier since those sticks have been tested as working together.

The processor model makes no difference per se. It is a lottery as to whether the actual processor that you get in the box has a strong IMC or a weak one.

I am in the process of building a high-end, workstation/gaming build, and since I am not doing an upgrade I am going to go ahead and build it with an ivy-e cpu. While I assume that ASUS will release some new LGA 2011 boards after ivy-e launches, I really want to go ROG rampage due to the features and OCing capability. The RIVE is the most recommended of the ROG LGA 2011 boards, and so I intend to purchase it... as long as I can get an answer to the following questions:

1. ) As this thread suggests, RAM compatibility is a common complaint with regard to the RIVE. I have a specific RAM set in mind: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 (CMD64GX3M8A2133C9). So, I would like to know whether it will be compatible. It is not on the QVL, but I regularly see build logs in which this RAM is paired with a RIVE (in fact, the Maximum PC September Dream Build 2013 features this RAM and a RIVE). I find it both strange and concerning that neither the corsair ram configurator nor the ASUS QVL list this RAM -- or any dominator platinum 32gb quad kits -- despite so many users and proposed rigs specifying this combination. The aforementioned RAM kit is not cheap (800$), and while I am happy to spend this (even if it is overkill), I am not looking to piss away that kind of money on incompatible RAM. Is this RAM compatible (or is any dominator platinum 32gb quad kit) and if so, why the hell isn't it listed by either ASUS or Corsair?

2.) The other question I have is perhaps misplaced on this thread, but I'll ask anyway. The RIVE is an old board relatively speaking, having been released in 2011. Does this mean that the technology on the board is outdated, or that it will have limitations due to having legacy components? I read that ASUS is releasing a new x79 deluxe with the release of ivy-e, so would I be better off going with a non-rog board that is newer, or is the RIVE so ahead of its time that it still takes the cake as far as x79 boards go?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I have wanted to get an ROG board since I heard that they existed.

Many thanks,

Carson Riess (ASUS patron and wanna-be extreme OC'er enthusiast)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, the RAM is listed as X79 compatible despite being called "dual channel". I presume since the RIVE may well be in for that refresh....neither ASUS or Corsair can be bothered to qualify anything else. The "RVE" will probably have the updated list....I presume they have tested it but as always this is going to come down to the quality of the IMC on the CPU itself. The general idea is that IB-E will have a more robust IMC and should run a 64GB kit at this frequency better than SB-E say. But you should expect to have to do some tweaking setting this amount of RAM up after all the Intel spec has only raised IB-E guarantee from 1600 to 1866.

When it comes down to it though, if it says a frequency and OC next to it though...you are basically on your own.

Make sure you have a PSU with a floppy connector for the extra power you are going to need to run 8 high density sticks (floppy connector on the RIVE at least)

The second question...I personally would wait to see if there is a X79 refresh but the RIVE is a stellar board and for OCing it is the dog's whatsits. Something slightly better might come out but it wont leave the RIVE looking like week old lettuce...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Well, the RAM is listed as X79 compatible despite being called "dual channel". I presume since the RIVE may well be in for that refresh....neither ASUS or Corsair can be bothered to qualify anything else. The "RVE" will probably have the updated list....I presume they have tested it but as always this is going to come down to the quality of the IMC on the CPU itself. The general idea is that IB-E will have a more robust IMC and should run a 64GB kit at this frequency better than SB-E say. But you should expect to have to do some tweaking setting this amount of RAM up after all the Intel spec has only raised IB-E guarantee from 1600 to 1866.

When it comes down to it though, if it says a frequency and OC next to it though...you are basically on your own.

Make sure you have a PSU with a floppy connector for the extra power you are going to need to run 8 high density sticks (floppy connector on the RIVE at least)

The second question...I personally would wait to see if there is a X79 refresh but the RIVE is a stellar board and for OCing it is the dog's whatsits. Something slightly better might come out but it wont leave the RIVE looking like week old lettuce...

Thanks so much for the reply! I suppose it may be safer to go with a 1866Mhz set instead then.

Im not sure I understand what you mean when you say to make sure the PSU has a floppy connector... I have an AX1200i -- will this do?

I'm going to take your advice and wait and see regarding an x79 refresh, but I lack patience! 🙂 BTW, I got a a kick out of your phraseology, "it won't leave the RIVE looking like weak old lettuce" 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
🙂 I think for 64GB 1866 is probably a good call anyway but if you're waiting you will have time to check out the reviews on the IB-E IMC maybe it can run 64GB no sweat compared to its fickle SB-E cousin and you can go with the 2133.

The PSU you have has a floppy connector so you are good to go....at least with the RIVE....the extra power connector for the RAM....EZPlug as it's called, is a floppy connector.....in case you're as patient as me and go out tomorrow and buy a RIVE 😉

HiVizMan
Level 40
There is a floppy connector, and you need it for the extra DDR power when you have 64GB of ram.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.