cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme Issues with Hauppauge HVR-1800 TV Tuners

Necrosan
Level 12
Hi,

I recently obtained 2 of these tuners and much to my dismay the RIVE doesn't seem to support them right and apparently it's something to do with the BIOS.

Issue 1 is I can't do anything that requires a large amount of bandwidth with the card or the card will lock up. The only way to fix this at the moment is to disable the 3D comb filter which impacts the quality pretty significantly.

Issue 2 is my second tuner never is seen by the operating system when I install it. Both cards are exactly the same (Hauppauge HVR-1800 Model 78631 Rev. C1E9) and function fine on their own besides having to disable the 3D comb filter.

I have been working with a driver developer at Hauppauge and he says all of these symptoms point to some sort of issue with the BIOS. He says they have encountered this before with other motherboards and the only apparent fix resides in a BIOS update.

For reference here is the layout of my cards:

Slot 1: GTX 580
Slot 2: Hauppauge HVR-1800
Slot 3: GTX 580
Slot 4: Hauppauge HVR-1800

I am on BIOS 4102

Cards Hardware info is:

Vendor ID: 14F1
Device ID: 8880
Subsystem ID: 78090070

The card works 'semi-fine' (disabled 3D comb filter) in both slot 2 and slot 4 but only individually - second tuner never shows up in any operating system. (Tested Ubuntu Linux & Windows 8 Pro)

Please provide me with an updated BIOS so I can use my new tuners fine.

I am happy to debug any test BIOS version, and I can also put you in touch with the Hauppauge driver developer I've been working with.

So, HiVizMan, Raja, Shamino: anyone up above at ASUS can give me some guidance?

Thanks
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

6 REPLIES 6

Necrosan
Level 12
After testing a bit more it seems like slot 4 is not recognizing either tuner, individually or as a pair in slot 2 & 4.

I just pulled my PCIe wireless card out of slot 4 so I know it's fine. (And I even put it back in just a minute ago to check if maybe I broke the slot - card worked 100% fine. This was also with a tuner in slot 2.)

Every symptom here is screaming BIOS incompatibility/issue to me.

Nodens
Level 16
Just in case those cards are not native PCIe and use a PCIe bridge, try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942959

Enable both at the same time for testing (600 value).
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
Just in case those cards are not native PCIe and use a PCIe bridge, try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942959

Enable both at the same time for testing (600 value).

Nice little tweak, never knew about this, but unfortunately it did nothing.
Exact same situation with all 3 possible settings. 😕

For what it's worth I don't get any device couldn't start messages - the board just acts like there is no card at all in slot 4 when I put either TV tuner there.

Here is a pic of hwinfo64 showing the bus expanded - notice nothing under slot 4 (which should have the exact same info as slot 2):

Necrosan
Level 12
Been digging around Google a bit, here are people experiencing similar issues with other motherboards:

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?23685-HVR-2200-disappears...

My one 'working' card never disappears - the card in the 4th slot just never is shown in hwinfo/device manager, so my problem is a bit different. (Swapping cards position is same scenario - no card in slot 4.)

Going to play with some BIOS options for now seeing as I (think I) am SOL until ASUS does something.

Necrosan
Level 12
Figured it out - these cards only work correctly in PCIE 1.0 mode.
Moved GPU 2 to the black x16 slot, stuck the tuners in slots 3 & 4 and set PCIE 1.0 in system agent.
Bam, both tuners work perfect now.

Hopefully this thread proves useful to someone else experiencing issues with Hauppauge products in the future.

Nodens
Level 16
Wish I could rep you for posting back the solution but I have you on "spread some more" heh.

So it seems the issue is on the cards..may want to notify them of this. It could be fixable via firmware update.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.