cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme: hotplug eSATA with port multiplier devices?

Howie
Level 9
I use quite a few external eSATA drives but most important is a Mediasonic ProRAID HFR2-SU3S2 external RAID enclosure (for storage and backup,) which apparently uses a port multiplier feature. I've been having an issue with connecting it to my RIVE as follows:

I CAN see and use the ProRAID device in Windows IF it had been attached at bootup.
I CAN hotswap single eSATA drives fine within Windows. That implies hotswap works ok.
I CANNOT hotswap the ProRAID device once Windows is running. I can safely eject it (if it was connected at boot) but then cannot reattach within Windows. And if system Sleeps while it's attached, it is missing when coming back from Sleep.

Mediasonic support has not provided a reason, and perhaps it's something to do with port multiplier devices not being hotswap compatible with RIVE's Asmedia eSATA chip? Mediasonic had suggested adding a PCI card with a SIL3132 chip as a solution.

Just wondering if anyone here might have had some experience with this type of issue. THANKS.
MB: Rampage IV Extreme · CPU: i7 3960X · Cooler: Maingear EPIC 180 (liquid)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 8x4GB PN: CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9
Disks: 2x 512GB Samsung 830 RAID0 (Intel 6G ports), 1x Samsung 830 512GB (Asmedia 6G port)
WD 2002FAEX 2TB and HGST
HDN724040ALE640 4TB (Intel 3G ports)
LG WH12LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD Burner (Intel 3G port)
PSU: Seasonic XP1000 · GPU: Visiontek Radeon HD 6970
OS
: Windows 7 Pro UEFI installation · Chassis: Maingear SHIFT
2 REPLIES 2

shimeng
Level 7
Does it re-attach if you go into Device Manager -> Action -> Scan for hardware changes?

Also, are you using the Asmedia 106x SATA Controller driver? I had huge problems with it installed with my R4F - Windows kept reporting integrity problems with my RAID enclosure (2-bay Stardom RAID) but when I attached it to my R3E, it was working fine.

Unfortunately CHKDSK "rectified" the disk by wiping out half it's contents and even then most of the files appeared to be corrupt. When I reverted to the standard Windows AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller driver the problem went away immediately, which led me to believe the Asmedia driver is dodgy.

No, it does not get detected with a "Scan for hardware changes" in Device Manager. 😞

The ProRAID enclosure manufacturer suggested getting an add-on eSATA card. I purchased and installed one they specifically referenced, (for its SIL3132 chip,) a SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2E. The ProRAID enclosure does work correctly with this card, (can hotswap, etc.) BUT the sequential data transfer speeds are awful (half!) compared to when connected (from bootup) to the RIVE onboard Asmedia eSATA ports.

Sequential Read/Write speed:
Asmedia eSATA: 250/221 MB/s
Syba PCI card: 126/127 MB/s

I REALLY wish I could get it to work properly with the RIVE Asmedia eSATA ports ! (Or achieve comparable I/O speeds with the add on Syba card.)
MB: Rampage IV Extreme · CPU: i7 3960X · Cooler: Maingear EPIC 180 (liquid)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 8x4GB PN: CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9
Disks: 2x 512GB Samsung 830 RAID0 (Intel 6G ports), 1x Samsung 830 512GB (Asmedia 6G port)
WD 2002FAEX 2TB and HGST
HDN724040ALE640 4TB (Intel 3G ports)
LG WH12LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD Burner (Intel 3G port)
PSU: Seasonic XP1000 · GPU: Visiontek Radeon HD 6970
OS
: Windows 7 Pro UEFI installation · Chassis: Maingear SHIFT