cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme died in it's sleep.

bassetwrangler
Level 7
After six months of daily use, I shutdown normally last night but this morning my system would not start. Power supply is not being turned on. Start button, Reset button and BIOS LEDs are all lighted but pressing the case's power button or the motherboard's Start button does nothing (Debug LEDs are not lighted). Swapped power supplies with the same result. I’ve built more than 10 systems and I’m a software engineer with a high degree of technical knowledge.

I tried all the simple things (remove and replace battery, clear CMOS) with no success. Has anybody seen this problem or know of any other trouble shooting techniques?
30 REPLIES 30

Jollydet
Level 8
its a known issue with the Extreme 4 boards, they have cold solder joints on the ROG Chip between the last PCI-E slots, hence the mass posts of people needing hairdryers to start their boards. firstly i would try gently applying some heat to that area and lastly put some pressure on the ROG chip with your finger then try and boot it whilst pressing, if it boots that is your issue, i have fixed 3 Rampage extreme 4 boards by Resoldering the ROG chip back on as they were poorly soldered/pins aligned from factory, combined with crap solder and that area running quite warm due to the xx79 chipset linked to the vrm via heatpipe. however this requires some soldering knowledge and special tools, if you are out of warranty and your system still works using the above methods, take your board to an electrical repairer and have them resolder that chip or reflow if they are cheap, anyone who can work with SMC chips should be able to help you, hopefully this can save some older boards.

ASUS quality control on their high end boards is beyond a joke.