cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme BSODS -- Bad Memory/mobo?

broduderson
Level 7
Hi, I recently built this rig a few months ago and ever since day 1 I've been dealing with bluescreens that all point to memory errors. I've ran memtest+ v4.20 several times and didn't receive any errors. I emailed g.skill to ask them what to do and they said to run memtest again with only one stick in at a time. Ran memtest on every ram stick for 3 passes at the minimum and still no errors. I recently re-installed windows 7 ultimate x64 to see if there was something funny with the installation and I still get blue screens. I should mention the thing that doesn't make sense to me is that it only bluescreens in about an hour once turning the system on for the day. Once it bluescreens the computer will be perfectly fine. I'm not overclocking anything, everything has been set to 'safe defaults' numerous times. My next step is to RMA the board to see if that's the problem but I would like to see what you guys think I should do before trying that. Also, I have followed g.skills pdf on setting up xmp profile and I still received bluescreens. I also have plugged in the extra power connector for the ram and still receive bluescreens.

Here are my components:

• Asus RIVE mobo
  • G.Skill F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD 64GB
  • Intel 3930k cpu water cooled by corsair H100
  • Samsung 830 256GB SSD
  • Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5 x2 SLI
  • Corsair AX1200 PSU

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. You guys are my only hope.
52 REPLIES 52

lenehan
Level 10
Welcome to ROG

Go into the bios and try the following see if help. Cheers:)

1. Set your RAM to XMP profile.
2. Set your VCCSA 1.2
3. Set VTT 1.2
4. Go to Digi + set VCCSA LLC to Regular
5. Set DRAM Current capabilitty to 120%
6. Set DRAM Voltage control to Optimised.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

When you say VCCSA you mean CPU VCCSA Voltage and VTT - VTT CPU Voltage? Then DRAM Current capability and DRAM Voltage control for AB and CD, correct? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to hardware just dont' want to fry anything yet 😛

broduderson wrote:
When you say VCCSA you mean CPU VCCSA Voltage and VTT - VTT CPU Voltage? Then DRAM Current capability and DRAM Voltage control for AB and CD, correct? Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to hardware just dont' want to fry anything yet 😛

Yes. CPU VCCSA and CPU VTT. The DRAM Current Capability and DRAM Voltage Control set for AB and CD both.

No noob here in ROG, we are all one family the ROG family. Cheers.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

lenehan wrote:
Yes. CPU VCCSA and CPU VTT. The DRAM Current Capability and DRAM Voltage Control set for AB and CD both.

No noob here in ROG, we are all one family the ROG family. Cheers.

Alright, set the settings you said and it still blue screened this morning after about 10 minutes or so.

Zka17 wrote:
And please, be sure that you have connected all the powers... with that amount of RAM, you do need to connect the EZ_Pulg...

Yup, the EZ_Plug for extra power to ram has been connected since day 1. (I try to read the manuals :P)

Nodens wrote:
Stop Errors (BSODs) can happen for a variety of reasons. If you can upload the minidump somewhere I can analyze it for you and tell you what's wrong. It could be a faulty driver.

Sure no problem. For some reason it's not saving all the minidumps it seems but here are three of the dump files:
http://sdrv.ms/RnfjuS

Zka17
Level 16
And please, be sure that you have connected all the powers... with that amount of RAM, you do need to connect the EZ_Pulg...

Nodens
Level 16
Stop Errors (BSODs) can happen for a variety of reasons. If you can upload the minidump somewhere I can analyze it for you and tell you what's wrong. It could be a faulty driver.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens
Level 16
Well indeed all the dumps point to memory errors.

First dump is a corrupted read of the system page pool. This usually points to bad drivers. The crash is in a process owned by Microsoft Live One Care (MsMpEng.exe).

DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL (c5)
Arguments:
Arg1: fffff810030226b0, memory referenced
Arg2: 0000000000000002, IRQL
Arg3: 0000000000000000, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: fffff80002fc7a4e, address which referenced memory

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: MsMpEng.exe

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 3

SYMBOL_NAME: nt!ExDeferredFreePool+192

FOLLOWUP_NAME: Pool_corruption

IMAGE_NAME: Pool_Corruption

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

MODULE_NAME: Pool_Corruption

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0xC5_2_nt!ExDeferredFreePool+192

BUCKET_ID: X64_0xC5_2_nt!ExDeferredFreePool+192

Followup: Pool_corruption

2nd one is an instruction that referenced memory that couldn't be read on process dw20.exe (MS Office error reporting):

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: fffff800033cb661, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck
Arg3: fffff8800dfd3e10, Address of the context record for the exception that cau
sed the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced me
mory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s.

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x3B

PROCESS_NAME: dw20.exe

CURRENT_IRQL: 0

SYMBOL_NAME: nt!MmCreateSection+2f1

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nt

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4fa390f3

STACK_COMMAND: .cxr 0xfffff8800dfd3e10 ; kb

IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x3B_nt!MmCreateSection+2f1

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x3B_nt!MmCreateSection+2f1

And the third one is the same but on a different process (monitor.exe which is a system process).

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
An exception happened while executing a system service routine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: fffff9600030e273, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck
Arg3: fffff88010c119c0, Address of the context record for the exception that cau
sed the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%08lx referenced me
mory at 0x%08lx. The memory could not be %s.

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: CODE_CORRUPTION

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x3B

PROCESS_NAME: Monitor.exe

CURRENT_IRQL: 0

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 0000000000000000 to fffff9600030e273

MODULE_NAME: memory_corruption

IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption

FOLLOWUP_NAME: memory_corruption

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

MEMORY_CORRUPTOR: STRIDE

STACK_COMMAND: .cxr 0xfffff88010c119c0 ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_MEMORY_CORRUPTION_STRIDE

BUCKET_ID: X64_MEMORY_CORRUPTION_STRIDE

All 3 point to memory corruption. It doesn't happen on any driver but it could be that somekind of driver is corrupting the system pool. most likely though there's something wrong with the RAM or IMC on the CPU...
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
All 3 point to memory corruption. It doesn't happen on any driver but it could be that somekind of driver is corrupting the system pool. most likely though there's something wrong with the RAM or IMC on the CPU...

Is there a way to find out if there is something corrupting the system pool and what? I'd really rather not RMA anything unless I know for sure that there is a problem with it and I'm not sure if I can even RMA the cpu now (it's been 2-3 months).

broduderson wrote:
Is there a way to find out if there is something corrupting the system pool and what? I'd really rather not RMA anything unless I know for sure that there is a problem with it and I'm not sure if I can even RMA the cpu now (it's been 2-3 months).

The only way to do that is with a kernel debugger but that is not something I can guide you through. You can troubleshoot though by uninstalling anything that may use a driver (although some things use drivers that most people can't tell eg Realtemp/Coretemp load their drivers while they're running, Daemon Tools loads a driver (SPTD) permanently, etc etc.)

RealBench Developer.