cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme Bios Resetting After Power Loss, or by Turning off PSU..

Hellbound
Level 7
As the subject states, every time I lose power (power outage, or turning off PSU) the bios resets itself.. I get the message on boot to hit F1 to go into settings and I have to manually enter all overclock settings again..
With no power loss everything is normal.. Restart and shutting off are fine, all settings are kept, everything runs great.

Power loss also resets the time and date on the mobo bios clock.

I dont know what to do at this point..

Hardware:
Rampage IV Extreme
3930k @4.4ghz
16gb Corsair Dominator GT 2133
2x GTX 780Ti
Corsair AX1200 PSU..

The way I save is by hitting F10.. Is there something else I should be doing?
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Hellbound
Level 7
Is there a guide on doing this? I've never replaced a motherboard cmos battery. I see nothing in the manual..

Can I replace it while the pc is plugged in, powered on or off, etc.......

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You never touch the motherboard for anything with the power on or connected...so, of course power off.

Then simply remove battery...displce lever at side of battery..it will pop up...and replace.

This is probably the least technical task assosiated wirh the motherboard...but if you dont feel comfortsble doing it take board to PC shop

I know I haven't replied to this in a while.. But I did replace the battery and that did not solve the problem.. If I disconnect the power supply from the wall, it still loses all settings and prompts me to hit F1 to enter setup.

Mobo clock also gets reset

BOLTS4BREKFAST
Level 12
You got the polarity right on the battery when you replaced it? The positive side is on top. Negative on bottom. Just asking...
NZXT Phantom 820
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
NZXT HALE90v2 1200w PSU
Intel i7 3960X OC'd @ 4.7Ghz
Corsair H100i (Push/Pull)
MSI GAMING 4G GTX 980
16GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz
2 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
2 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD's (RAID-0)
SoundBlaster Z PCIe Sound Card
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround Sound
Sennheiser PC360 Headset
LG Blu-Ray Burner
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

BOLTS4BREKFAST wrote:
You got the polarity right on the battery when you replaced it? The positive side is on top. Negative on bottom. Just asking...

Yes, the positive is on top.

Hellbound wrote:
Yes, the positive is on top.

did you solve your your issue? I just experienced this, seems odd the battery would be out on a 2 year old board.

I have the same issue with my rampage v extreme. The board is less than 2 years old.

XIIIIX
Level 7
Hellbound wrote:
As the subject states, every time I lose power (power outage, or turning off PSU) the bios resets itself.. I get the message on boot to hit F1 to go into settings and I have to manually enter all overclock settings again..
With no power loss everything is normal.. Restart and shutting off are fine, all settings are kept, everything runs great.

Power loss also resets the time and date on the mobo bios clock.

I dont know what to do at this point..

Hardware:
Rampage IV Extreme
3930k @4.4ghz
16gb Corsair Dominator GT 2133
2x GTX 780Ti
Corsair AX1200 PSU..

The way I save is by hitting F10.. Is there something else I should be doing?

Does it happen when the PC is running, or in S3?
If so, it`s normal, as it thinks it`s recovering from a crash.

Check you`re Windows energy management.

If that`s all normal, and the battery is replaced and correct try it without OC.
My own system is running rock-solid @4,45 without problems. Taking it to 4.5 it seems to be solid, but at random, and only at low/no loads it reboots out of nowhere.
Crunch, memtest etc. works all fine, but idle :rolleyes:
Close and boot-up and restart somethimes give the same problem in this situation.
XII