cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme bios help

dbpavey
Level 8
Short story-

Basically every time my computer loses electricity, I have to reset the CMOS to get back into my Bios . *And always my pet lock profile is reset to default so I reload my OC profile.

Tonight, the computer was off but I swapped out a surge protector. *Now every time I boot the bios screen flashes a few times and then I get a black screen that says “AMERICAN MEGATRENDS” with a triangle in the top left corner. *

I rapidly press F2 and delete to get into the bios but I can’t.

I formatted a USB stick and loaded the latest .CAP onto it. *I also renamed it R4E. *When I put it in the top USB port and press the bios button it flashes twice and then stops flashing. *I let it sit there for 5 minutes but no luck. *I have a feeling it is not flashing the bios.

Any advice? *Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would replace the CMOS battery.

And follow this for formatting the USB drive....for R4E.CAP
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78620-X79-DELUXE-Bricked-after-USB-BIOS-Flashback&p=549397...

Try other BIOS chip if all else fails

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I would replace the CMOS battery.

And follow this for formatting the USB drive....for R4E.CAP
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78620-X79-DELUXE-Bricked-after-USB-BIOS-Flashback&p=549397...

Try other BIOS chip if all else fails

Thank you for your response!
I took my CMOS battery out this morning to bring with me to the store to make sure i bought the correct one. When I got to the store and looked at my battery, it still had the peel off film on the back of it. I cant remember the last time I replaced this battery... I cant believe I did that. I guess the Mobo will work without that battery ?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That battery powers CMOS AFAIK so if it's missing or dodgy the board wont post properly etc...BIOS settings wont stick...that sort of thing. Cold boot nightmare time.

The film on the back wont matter..the contact is on face and edge I think...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
That battery powers CMOS AFAIK so if it's missing or dodgy the board wont post properly etc...BIOS settings wont stick...that sort of thing. Cold boot nightmare time.

The film on the back wont matter..the contact is on face and edge I think...

Good to know!