cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme - Audio not working

slimpickins28
Level 7
I normally never have to post, as I try many things on my own first. Here is the breakdown of my new sys...
32gig ram
11 HDs
win 8 pro
blah blah blah...
haf 932 case

New / fresh installation. Installed the newest Realtek driver from asus website. Bios settings are audio enable, '97 front panel (it is) and digital out as HDMI. I can't get ANY sound out of speakers. Have two sets, one in front audio plug (green) and other as center set (orange/yellow) plug. They are working fine..plugged into phone and when compute restarts, they click (that ground click when power is cycled....)

I've read other forums about people's having issues with static and stuff and having to RMA their board, however I don't get any of that. I really think its a driver issue. I have tried the only other driver listed on asus website as well...no joy.

Under Realek HD manager in control panel, the proper speakers are selected, and checked. HOWEVER, this is where something doesn't seem right. On the picture the front panel plugs show up bright...but the Analog "back panel" shows up as dimmed. I think that may be why its not playing any sound....but not sure how to change it.

Under Sound in control panel, the speakers are checked as default device, showing as (Speakers,Realtek High Definition Audio, Default Device).

Just wanted some guidance on what to try.

Steps I've done:
updated bios
played with bios settings
updated driver
uninstalled / reinstalled driver

Thanks ahead of time guys and gals!
79 REPLIES 79

FireRx
Level 11
Interesting. Thank M. OReilly, I'll make a mental note of that during construction.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

I'm starting to give up on this motherboard.. My first one never worked at all, second one worked for about 1,5 months, and the third one has been going strong until this day but today I had to disable my Creative Titanium HD PCI-Express audio card as I have moved to a dual-boot of Mac OS X Mountain Lion ("Hackintosh") and Windows 8 UEFI installation..

As my Creative Titanium HD card is not supported under OS X and there is no way to hack it I decided to just move everything to the on-board audio as that should be much easier, but no.. It's not working under Windows 8, nor is it working under OS X. It's only outputting static noise and nothing else what so ever... The optical output works though, so I might grab a Asus Xonar Essence One and connect by optical, but that's a irritating an expensive solution for something that should have worked from the start..

I just can't be bothered with another replacement, I haven't had this much issues with a motherboard in my entire lifetime and it makes me really re-consider whether it's worth it to pay extra for these Asus motherboards anymore.. I have always supported Asus due their steady releases of new BIOS updates but this is getting rather silly.

Krighton
Level 7
Motherboards aren't designed to be used with MAC OSX. No one actually uses high end PC components for a subpar, useless operating system.

It's like trying to use a can opener to open a pop top can. It's useless. The can is already , ready to be opened. (Windows and PCs)

TechRaven
Level 9
I unfortunately seem to have the same issue. Audio shows digital only, it clicks on boot-up and driver install, but no amount of fidling seems to cause it to recognize. I've tried Windows 7/8. Various BIOS versions. Unplugging/Re-seating Cables.

The exact same night it started my GTX 780 started to be being identified as a DEV_100F instead of a DEV_1004 around the exact same time (which is not a valid nVidia Card). Not sure if just coincidence or something on the MB failing, at first I thought it was the Video Card now i'm starting to suspect otherwise.

I suppose my best bet is to get an RMA going and swap out the motherboard? Sigh 😞

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Resurrecting this thread too today.....another RIVE same problem!!! Audio had died from a bit of OCing.

For a premium OCing board this is a bit much. This one the PCIe lane has died too and an SSD has been taken out.

😞

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Resurrecting this thread too today.....another RIVE same problem!!! Audio had died from a bit of OCing.

For a premium OCing board this is a bit much. This one the PCIe lane has died too and an SSD has been taken out.

:([/QUOTE

Arnie,
This is the same bpard that was replaced the last time? or a different one altogether?:eek:
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

Nodens
Level 16
Arne, maybe have that PSU of yours checked..
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
Arne, maybe have that PSU of yours checked..

I am....by a techie with all the right gear....will let you know...

tatmMRKIV
Level 10
I have had this issue for a while now. I even RMA'd my mobo and they sent back my same one with same problems.. bought it over a year ago now so I am SOL, I rma'd when I had a month left unfortunately...
My only audio is through my Nvidia HDMI

Thats probably why I went with ASRock for my dad's z87 build
RIVE C1 3930K @ 4.8 3 ASUS GTX 680 DC2T 250gbSamsung 840 TLC SSD dimastech hardv2.5
H100 w/ 4 push pull Bgear b-blaster 120 16gb 2x f3-2400c9d-8GTXD 9-11-11-31 1t 2475mhz 2tb seagate Antec 1200watt continuous PSU Minuteman 750va commercial UPS LG super multi drive Memorex bluray Samsung Syncmaster T27B750 46" Sharp aquos. killer 2100, soon to be installled: DT sniper dc2 waterblocks, etc

I've been using Auzentech X-Fi Hometheater HD Audio Card since it first came out-always have used a discreet sound card, never onboard. I would be scared to try on board now.
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"