cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme & i7 4930K Issue

Ozy311
Level 7
I just purchased a RIVE and i7 4930 ivy bridge E. The system will not boot. No memory, no video card, two different power supplies. If I press power, the system momentarily powers up, then shuts off. It then proceeds to power up and power over and over until I press and hold the power button. It doesn't get far enough to visually post, or beep complain about no video card or memory, nothing. It just loops, powering down then back up.

I assumed it was because the board wasn't updated to support Ivy Bridge-E cpus yet. So I successfully downloaded the 4403 bios, renamed it to R4E.CAP and dropped it on a USB stick. I'm guessing the bios flashed fine via the ROG connect because it flashed for quite a while then stopped. I pulled power, reattached, cleared bios settings and hit power. The system still continued to loop cycle. I pulled the memory, detached every peripheral from the ports. I even tried reseating the CPU. No luck. I really hope this is something simple. I don't want to have to RMA the board and/or CPU.

:mad:
30 REPLIES 30

HiVizMan wrote:
Myk I asked the dude if he had the EPS connected....

Cheers for looking at the video I can not during the day.

The manual says you need either the 4 PIN or the 8PIN EPS connected, but not both. So I tried with power in each and both way before the video. That video is with the 8 pin attached. Am I missing something here? I have built thousands of computers. This isn't my first time around the block. I am a senior systems engineer for eBay. I was hoping it was something related to IVB-E and an oversight on my part.

Ozy311 wrote:
The manual says you need either the 4 PIN or the 8PIN EPS connected, but not both. So I tried with power in each and both way before the video. That video is with the 8 pin attached. Am I missing something here? I have built thousands of computers. This isn't my first time around the block. I am a senior systems engineer for eBay. I was hoping it was something related to IVB-E and an oversight on my part.

I think I recall this being a confusing entry in the manual as well.
With these boards it does not hurt to have every supplementary power plug connected, and in my opinion only helps with the redundancy.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Ozy311 wrote:

Mate use both please, and like I said I should have explained better. The manual says two different things in different places by the way. Which is a pity as it is best practice to use both if your PSU can accommodate.

And while you may have built thousands of systems I just want to remind you that we are all human and all of us make mistakes and have face palm moment, hell I know I do. 🙂

So relax and just understand that people are trying to help you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Mate use both please, and like I said I should have explained better. The manual says two different things in different places by the way. Which is a pity as it is best practice to use both if your PSU can accommodate.

And while you may have built thousands of systems I just want to remind you that we are all human and all of us make mistakes and have face palm moment, hell I know I do. 🙂

So relax and just understand that people are trying to help you.

What I'm trying to tell you is that I've been TRYING to tell you that I have already tried every power combination you are recommending before I even made my first post. I tried 4 + 8, 8 only, 4 only. It all results in the same thing. I tried all of these combinations with different power supplies too. I'm getting frustrated because no one is actually READING what I said I already tried.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Guess he had no clue what EPS is and hey no worries, i'm just kicking back drooling over hardware for my next build lol so happy to help 😉

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah my bad I should have explained better, the problem is we slip into a habit of taking stuff for granted.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Indeed, that is so very true mate 🙂

Raghar
Level 7
A stupid little question: Where is memory?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Even to the guys who build thousands on computers over the years, doesn't mean occasionally they don't forget something, or miss something...food for thought.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Even to the guys who build thousands on computers over the years, doesn't mean occasionally they don't forget something, or miss something...food for thought.
. Which is why I'm posting.... I say that to give context that I'm not some noob asking super basic stuff here.

I pulled the memory, the gpu, everything to see if I get any POST beeps. I did at one point try power to EVERY connector. The 4 and 8 pin on the side, plus the 6 pin PCIE and floppy 4 pin EZplugs next to the slots. The system should at least stay ON and give error beeps

Also, stop talking about me in the 3rd person.. Lol