cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Black Edition + Storage HDD"s = Not Booting?

illusiV
Level 7
I was wondering, I have Windows Installed currently off of 1 Samsung SSD Evo 840 hard drive and everything is working fine. I try to install 4 SATA Storage HDD's, and when I try to boot up, the PC turns the fans for less than a second and goes off... I dont know if i need to do anything else as i thought it was just plug and play. Im not looking to do any particular raid setup or such, just need the other HDD's as storage. I also noticed an option called "Hot Plug Support" in the mother board bios options and didnt know if i had to enable it for the specified HDD's and then connect them.. Any help on this would be appreciated.

EDIT: Also running in the default ACHI (as it was when just the SSD was connected), also the HDDs are connected straight to the mobos sata ports and not 3rd party.
-Powersupply: Corsair AX860w, CPUID Link: http://valid.canardpc.com/kt8i8m
-Other 4 HDD's were taken from another PC, working perfectly fine 100% healthy with just files on it and no OS
20 REPLIES 20

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK here is what I would do as it is not a caddy that is causing this issue.

Try with one hard drive only, and if you boot with that single drive then add another drive. Make sure that you add the drives to the Intel SATA ports please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Connect the HDDs to the Intel SATA 3Gb/s ports.

Ok they would perform better than the asmedia sata 6gb ports? I could enable ahci w the intel satas...ty

Praz
Level 13
Hello

No they would not. Current hard drives do not utilize the bandwidth provided by SATA 3Gb/s so the extra bandwidth of 6Gb/s is not needed.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey Swordfish...yeah, what praz has said already. the latency penalty on the AS media ports is not worth it. You are best off connecting to the Intel SATAIII ports. As far as I know 6GBs HDDs are a bit of a marketing tool...they don't use that bandwidth at all in real life..only close for a burst as they empty the cache or some such...

Have you set the correct boot order in the bios?
Rampage IV Extreme BE, Intel 4960X, G-Skills Ripjaws Z F3- 2133C10Q2-64GZM, 2 ADATA SX900 512 GB SSD RAID 0, 4 Kingston Hyper X 120 GB SSD RAID 0, Pioneer BDR 2207, Segate 500GB HD, WD Velociraptor 600 GB (2), HD XSPC Cooling Push Pull c/w Heatkiller 3 CPU Block, Asus GTX690 (2), Asus VG278H, Asus VS208N, Xonar Phobus, Corsair 1200AX, Win 7 Ultimate UEFI

Thanks to you both for the insight

Praz
Level 13
You're welcome. 🙂

Goggle_Eye
Level 7
I see the rivbe has 2 intel sata III ports and the rest asmedia sata III

wondering the same thing installing 1 SSD and 4 x Velocity Raptors.

Counting down from the top first 4 Sata Ports are black. 3 GB connectors Sata 3 Intel x79 Serial ATA used for Platter drives and or optic drives.

The next two (5 & 6 counting down from the top) are Grey Intel x 79 Serial AtA 6.0 GB Ports. These ports should be used for SSD C: Drive?

The next 4 Ports Grey (very bottom two grey sata blocks) (7, 8, 9 and 10) ASMEDIA Serial ATA 6 GB Ports. Are the last two ports 9 & 10 ports read only? Not that would want to use Asmedia Port?

Installed the C: Drive SSD to the number 5 Grey Port Intel x 79 Serial AtA 6 GB Port.

The 4 x Velocity Raptors installed to the top black Ports Intel X79 3 Gb Ports.

Not Techy Tech think this is correct please correct me if wrong.
CaseLabs Magnum 8
Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition
I7 4930K 4.5GHz
Noctua NH D14
G-Skill Z Series 2133 MHz 16 Gb
2x GTX 780 S.C.
PSU Corsair AX 1500 I
2 x Samsung 850 Pro 2 Tbs Each
2 x Intel 730 Series 480 GBs Each
Sound On Board

derek_barker
Level 7
whats causing the issue is the micro coding on the drives. i had the same issue 3 days after i got everything installed . 1 boot hddd and two storage all worked fine on second day then i shut down, reboot next morning i get od e code. either is a chip on the board thats funkey or just the micro code on the drive that the board doesn't like. i rma'd twice 2 outta 3 work now thats including the whole time with cd drive.. did all tblsho mothods but nothing worked. like i said the board either doesn't like the micro coding on the drive or it's a ship on the board thats messed.
asus said to me it was a ship but did not give details when specifically asked for. get new drive or swap with a friend see if that works or rma. if they say you need to pay for a ship label say and complain that you paid prime price and that you should have to pay for a ship label and argue it and they will cover it
rampage iv black edition, corsair ax1500i, corei7 4960X 4.00ghz w/ h105, corsair dominator platinum 2133 xmp @ 2.133 ghz, sapphire r9 295x2, 900d flagship.