cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage III Extreme will not recognize Kingston SSD via SATA6G or SATA ports

skrewbydoo
Level 7
Hello all,

I am stumped. I just bought a Kingston HyperX 3K 240gb SSD (SH103S3) and am trying to install it as my primary drive. I have attempted to connect it via the SATA6G ports and the SATA ports but have not gotten the BIOS to recognize it. Windows disk management does not see it either. I disconnected all drives but the CDROM, even. and had no luck with that either.

I have used the external kit that came with it to connect it via USB to confirm it is functional and have initialized it within Windows disk management. Any suggestions?

MB: Rampage III Extreme BIOS rev 1502
15 REPLIES 15

cx-ray
Level 12
I faintly remember some sort of drive initialization bug related to the CD drive being connected to the first SATA port. Perhaps, you can try moving it to another port?

cx-ray wrote:
I faintly remember some sort of drive initialization bug related to the CD drive being connected to the first SATA port. Perhaps, you can try moving it to another port?

I have tried connecting the SSD in the SATA6G ports and a number of the SATA ports. I have also tried it with all drives but the CDROM removed. The CDROM I've connected to the SATA2 and SATA3 and SATA4 ports, all with the same results: The BIOS recognizes the CDROM in the appropriate SATA slot but the SSD is not recognized.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Remove all drives from your system and try and install OS directly to the drive using a USB OS device.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Remove all drives from your system and try and install OS directly to the drive using a USB OS device.

I'm not sure how this will help with the recognition of the SSD in the BIOS. Unfortunately I don't have any other means to install the OS other than via the internal DVD/CDROM.

If I have to, I suppose I can go out and buy a USB External CDROM.

Are SSD's typically this fussy? Or should they be recognized by the BIOS as a HDD just as normal SATA HDD's normally are?

Also, I have tried the SATA and SATA6G configured for IDE with no luck as well as AHCI with the same result. I don't know what other settings I can attempt to experiment with. 😞

HiVizMan wrote:

I'm not sure how this will help with the recognition of the SSD in the BIOS. Unfortunately I don't have any other means to install the OS other than via the internal DVD/CDROM.

If I have to, I suppose I can go out and buy a USB External CDROM.

Are SSD's typically this fussy? Or should they be recognized by the BIOS as a HDD just as normal SATA HDD's normally are?

Also, I have tried the SATA and SATA6G configured for IDE with no luck as well as AHCI with the same result. I don't know what other settings I can attempt to experiment with. 😞

HiVizMan
Level 40
If you have a USB stick, you can create an OS install using Microsoft USB tool. You do not need a DVD drive to install the OS.

The only drive that is then connected to the motherboard is the OS drive. There have been instances where DVD drives and SSD have not played very nice together when installing OS.

Your SATA mode will need to be set at AHCI.

Sure fire way to take out variables that may casuse the problem is in BIOS to select F5 and enter, this restores your defaults. Now with only the SSD connected your system will not place the 100MB partition on other disks as has been known to happen.

F10 and enter to save and boot.

Then F8 to select your USB drive to install OS

Do not format the SSD let the OS install do all that for you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

How big a USB stick is required for what you propose?

I had formatted the SSD vis Windows Disk Management when I was verifying its functionality via the External USB setup I previously mentioned. Should I reconnect it that way and remove that formatted partition first?

Should I see the SSD recognized in the BIOS settings with the CDROM disconnected? And if not, how will Windows see the SSD to install the OS if the BIOS can't see it?

HiVizMan
Level 40
A 4GB USB stick is good for Win7 and Win8,

Place the SSD in the Intel SATA port, that is very important.

Then just do what I suggested.

Of course you will need to have your USB stick connected when you do the F8 selection.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Once you are in OS install mode. Delete the partition under the advanced install option.
Then select next. Not new just next.

The install will do it all.

skrewbydoo
Level 7
Do I need to make an ISO copy of my Windows 7 Installation DVD?