cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage III Extreme BIOS update fail

AlexM
Level 7
Hi all,

This has been my first time updating the BIOS on my ASUS Rampage III Extreme, and it did not go well.

I followed the instructions on this link: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?8819-BIOS-update-for-RAMPAGE-III-EXTREME

Everything went well, and at the end of the update I let the system reboot itself. After that, i was booted back in to a screen which either told me to enter 'SETUP' or "USE DEFAULT VALUES'. I pressed F2 to enter "default values" only to be taken to a black screen with a flashing cursor like this --> _

After 10 minutes of waiting with nothing happening, I pressed the power button and got booted back to windows, only to be put back on an older restore point, as i could see old files that i had deleted and an older desktop layout that i used to have. I think this probably corrupted the updated BIOS or something--> should i have just waited for that black screen with the flashing cursor to go away???

Like I said, I am new to this so it is quite a shock to be in this position (thank goodness no important files where lost- i don't store them on this machine 🙂 )

I appreciate any help.

Alex.
6 REPLIES 6

HiVizMan
Level 40
A BIOS update will have nothing to do with your OS, and your OS is the only thing that will bring about a system restore to an older restore point. When you were given the option between F1 or F2 that would have indicated your BIOS flash was successful.

If you followed each of the steps I listed in that thread then your system would have updated the BIOS and the BIOS only. 🙂

Why your OS failed or why your OS asked you to do a system restore I am not able to guess sorry.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hmmm, that's strange ... Thanks for your help anyway 🙂

I'll try now to use the instructions on the RIVE BIOS FlashBack thread and see how it all goes this time.

Thanks again for your time!

(EDIT: Just understood what RIVE actually meant, so i guess I'm not going to use the tutorial..)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Why do you need to do a bios flashback? Did your bios flash fail, there is no evidence that you have provided to suggest this.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Please forgive my novice computer skills- I still thought there was a connection with Windows 7 reverting back to some older configuration to the BIOS Update (seemingly) failing.

I just checked through the EZ-Flash utility and the BIOS updated to the latest version (1502)

I will contact Microsoft to see why Windows acted up

HiVizMan
Level 40
No problem at all my friend. I just did not want you to attempt another BIOS flash when it is not needed. 🙂

FYI, the problem was solve by configuring SATA in the BIOS as [RAID]. Before, it was set to [IDE]..

Thanks for pointing me on the right track though!