cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage II Extreme - Restart Before POST During Cold Start

JbstormburstADV
Level 7
Hello, fellow citizens of ROG.

I just recently got myself a Rampage II Extreme with an Intel i7-920, and I decided to do soe rewiring since the previous person who set up the case was a bit messy. Anyways, so initially, after I first rewired, I couldn't get any video, but Windows was definitely booting since I heard the start-up sound. Additionally, after the first few times, I pressed in certain order the reset, toggle, and confirm buttons on the board, after which my computer had to boot three times before it got the POST to initiate BIOS (pretty sure, but I'm working on instinct since my LED Poster is trash).

So, after a few more predicaments, I decided to remove and reinsert the video cards, and when I did, after two restarts, I was booting with video. Now, I'm running at normal except for that restart issue, as well as an issue that forces me to boot cold if I decide to restart from BIOS or Windows which makes the restarts happen again, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'll take them.

Pro Laborem ad Astra,
JbstormburstADV
MB: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
CPU: Intel i7-920 'Bloomfield' @ 2.66 GHz
CPU Cooler: Stock
PSU: Ultra X3 100O W (modular)
GPU: XFX GeForce GTX 285 x2 (SLI-configured)
Chassis: Thermaltake Xaser VI
RAM: OCZ 3X1333LVL2G (2GB x 3, triple channel)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB 7200 RPM SATA 3 Gb/s
13 REPLIES 13

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
I'm not really sure what exactly your prob is, double-pump on POST?
If you remove power and restore power the mobo may do that.
I used to have the R2E, RMAd it due to a warm-boot failure issue that may have been specific to the PSU. Asus Rampage mobo's are finicky about PSUs.
Are you saying that if you try restart from Windows menu it just goes into a POST-loop?
Have you updated the BIOS?
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

My BIOS is currently at build 2101, so it's fully updated, and the only things I've been messing with in terms of options is boot priority. As for my PSU, I'm running a Ultra X3 at 1000 W, so I shouldn't have any issues with power, either.

To better desribe my problem, whenever I boot cold, the computer goes cold (no lights including motherboard), then restarts and repeats until the POST to initiate BIOS goes through, and if that happens, then I'm fine, as Windows has started every single time. This takes between one and three restarts.

The other part of the problem occurs when I restart due to changing smething in the BIOS or initiating a restart through Windows, forced or otherwise. Previously, my motherboard and fans would stay warm (active, lit, spinning) and then POST would initiate BIOS. Now, whenever I restart, the motherboard goes cold and I have to deal with the same problem as when I boot after shut down. If any help could be provided, I'll be grateful.

Also, I'll be updating my signature with my build's components, so if that is a help in any way, it'll be available.

Per Laborem ad Astra,
JbstormburstADV

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
I wish you could try a Corsair PSU. No offense but:
"Ultra" = junk
I have helped several ppl who had ultras, and some of them fixed their prob by switching to Corsair. That said, I'm just not sure...

Oh, hey, try a different kbd & mouse. I have seen the Kybd make a diff in boot/not boot. Seems (anything) USB can be an issue there too. Now that I am thinking about it, do you have any non-standard drives, like external, whether eSATA or USB, or are you leaving anything else USB plugged in? Are you using any IDE drives (HDD or other disk)? What is your HDD types set to in BIOS? Plz list ALL your drives. RAID? Boot to RAID?
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.

Let's see...

I'm using a Logitech G5 as a mouse, and I have their Unifying Receiver for the keyboard (Logitech K520). As for other USB devices, I have an IoMega hard drive (500 GB) and my HP Laserjet 1300n, but all of those were in before I decided to rewire and it all worked fine. As for internal drives, I don't use ay IDE (all SATA for me), and other than the hard drive listed, I have two DVD drives and a Blu-Ray drive, all of which were on my system before I got it.

Also, what do you mean HDD types in BIOS? If you mean anything else other than boot order, I didn't mess around with the standard settings.

Per Laborem ad Astra,
JbstormburstADV

JbstormburstADV wrote:
Let's see...

I'm using a Logitech G5 as a mouse, and I have their Unifying Receiver for the keyboard (Logitech K520). As for other USB devices, I have an IoMega hard drive (500 GB) and my HP Laserjet 1300n, but all of those were in before I decided to rewire and it all worked fine. As for internal drives, I don't use ay IDE (all SATA for me), and other than the hard drive listed, I have two DVD drives and a Blu-Ray drive, all of which were on my system before I got it.

Also, what do you mean HDD types in BIOS? If you mean anything else other than boot order, I didn't mess around with the standard settings.

Per Laborem ad Astra,
JbstormburstADV

The "standard" default setting is IDE for all SATA ports. However, I doubt it could cause your prob - if it were the other way 'round, with an IDE drive, now that would be a diff story. Don't change your boot drive to AHCI (or to IDE), it won't boot afterward, and may bork your drive OS/data.

So you say this didn't happen until you rewired it?

Try replacing the SATA cables (assuming you have more), or just swapping them around if you don't. Try reseating all your drive power cables, esp where any adapters are plugged in. You did plug in those 6-pin (or 8?) plugs into your 285, right? Try reseating your 20-24pin plug. Try different power plugs into your drives.

Hey, you didn't take the battery out when you did that did you?

Well, if anything, I figure it would be something involving either a POST error or a power issue with the motherboard since the problem occurs BEFORE BIOS boots. Say, does the Rampage II Extreme have a four-pin ATX connector in additon to the 24-pin ATX connector already there? I couldn't get it to even POST at one point, but then I realized I didn't plug in the power for the CPU, so I could be missing something like that, too.

This would be much easier if the LCD Poster was working...

Per Laborem ad Astra,
JbstormburstADV

The extra 4-pin was made for additional power for the CPU as CPUs became more power-hungry. Then they needed even more, so they added another 4-pin elsewhere. Later it was expanded yet another 4 pins.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
It is 20 an 24, not 24 and 28. It depends on the PSU, some have 20+4pin, others might have 24pin. If you plug them in wrong, the 4-pin will not be properly plugged in. The 20-pin usually has a little catch that holds the 4-pin in, and if it is wrong, it can hold the 4-pin out from making good contact.

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
What kind of CPU cooler do you have? Could you have bumped it, breaking the seal between the cooler and the CPU? Did you remember to plug that fan back in?