cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage Black IV Random Reboots

BatJoe
Level 7
As per Raja's recommendation, I am starting this new thread to touch on the issue many are having with random reboots or startups with the new Rampage Black IV.

It would appear the issue at this moment based on user reports on other forums cannot be narrowed down yet to any specific system component or BIOS setting.

The problem if you are not aware of it is despite a system being fully stable in either Prime or other benchmark or general gaming the system will at random either reboot or based on some reports when the system is shut down it will magically reboot the system by itself. The reboot happens with no BSOD or other error message. The system simply shuts down for a few seconds and automatically reboots. I don't normally shut my system down completely, so I cannot confirm the system starting up by itself, but I can confirm random reboots when the system is on with no BSOD or other error message associated with the reboot.

I thought on my system I solved this with more tweaking of voltages, mainly VTT/VCCSA and CPU Vcore, and for a while my system stopped rebooting, until again it started happening over the last few days. Once again, completely at random, and even though I have not changed any system component or BIOS setting.

If anyone else is encountering this issue, please post about it on this thread with your system specs and BIOS settings. I will be updating this post with my current BIOS settings. If you know anyone on other forums you post on having this issue, either post on their behalf with their system specs and BIOS settings or tell them to register and post about it. If we can make Raja/ASUS Tech's jobs easier narrowing it down the quicker I'm sure it can be resolved.

My system specs:

Intel i7-3930K@4.5Ghz
Corsair Hydro H80i
ASUS Rampage IV Black
G.SKILL Trident X 16GB@1866MHz 8-9-9-24-2T
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Corsair AX750

It should be noted, I was using the same system components and same overclock on a Rampage Formula IV and all was well. Stable and no random reboots.
Intel i7-3930K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS Rampage IV Black // G.SKILL Trident X 16GB@1866MHz 8-9-9-24-2T // EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 840 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750 //
50 REPLIES 50

PuffY wrote:
I just want to say I have not had one issue at all with my gear, maybe because I am running an ivy-e cpu with memory that is on the qvl....jus sayin.

PuffY wrote:
I am not running raid at all just one ssd, maybe this is something with raid?

Raja@ASUS wrote:
That's why I want separate threads for this - similar symptoms do not mean similar issue. The reset is a manifestation of instability most likely - but each case may need different settings adjusted to solve it.

If the issue does not happen at all at stock on other people's systems we can rule out RAID as a problem. Your situation sounds like outright memory/CPU instability for it to happen within UEFI. Suggest you start your own thread as well.

I will do that if it helps you out. I would generally agree with you but before Windows was installed, I ran Memtest overnight and I did not get a single shutdown/restart. It started after Windows was installed and then I started getting them even when I was in the BIOS/Memtest.

LCRava wrote:
I will do that if it helps you out. I would generally agree with you but before Windows was installed, I ran Memtest overnight and I did not get a single shutdown/restart. It started after Windows was installed and then I started getting them even when I was in the BIOS/Memtest.

Unlike others here, I am not much of a Memtest fan - it's only a partial test of stability. Let's take your situation to another thread (assuming you have a motherboard right now).

PuffY
Level 7
I just want to say I have not had one issue at all with my gear, maybe because I am running an ivy-e cpu with memory that is on the qvl....jus sayin.

Raja
Level 13
Thread tidied. Please if you have an issue stick with your own thread. For those of you with a similar issue - please start your own thread as well. It' becomes difficult for us mods to advise every one of you in a thread that accrues multiple posts between conversation.

BatJoe
Level 7
Someone suggested the Black may be having problems with 8gb sticks. I am using 8GB sticks, as is LCRava. A few others posting about the problem on OC are also using 8GB sticks. It would be surprising considering the board is suppose to be able to support up to 64GB and 8GB would be needed for this. Downclocking my stock 1866 frequency does not resolve the random reboots.

The only thing that seemed to make the random reboots happen less often was adjusting my VTT/VCCSA voltage. And I do not wish to increase the VTT/VCCSA to be at 1.2v or above. Is it possible Raja that there is some random fluctuation going with these voltages that need to be looked at? For example, could the mobo be at random, for whatever reason spiking the voltages down, but like really down, despite an acceptable setting in the BIOS?

As you can see Raja, the problem cannot be narrowed down to just SB-E users, as several IB-E users who the Black is apparently tailored for are also having issues.

I have a set of 4x4 G.Skill 1866mhz 8-9-9-24-2T that I am going to test with. They are QVL according to G.Skill for X79 and the Black specifically.
Intel i7-3930K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS Rampage IV Black // G.SKILL Trident X 16GB@1866MHz 8-9-9-24-2T // EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 840 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750 //

BatJoe wrote:

The only thing that seemed to make the random reboots happen less often was adjusting my VTT/VCCSA voltage. And I do not wish to increase the VTT/VCCSA to be at 1.2v or above. Is it possible Raja that there is some random fluctuation going with these voltages that need to be looked at? For example, could the mobo be at random, for whatever reason spiking the voltages down, but like really down, despite an acceptable setting in the BIOS?

As you can see Raja, the problem cannot be narrowed down to just SB-E users, as several IB-E users who the Black is apparently tailored for are also having issues.

I have a set of 4x4 G.Skill 1866mhz 8-9-9-24-2T that I am going to test with. They are QVL according to G.Skill for X79 and the Black specifically.

There are no "random voltage fluctuations" I know of - we test our boards and VRM solutions, so this is the least likely thing to be possible. Further the boards are overclocked way past what you guys are doing here during our R&D phase, at current levels where such things would manifest in a big way.

If VCCSA helps then the issue is more likely related to IO - DRAM second and third tier sub-timings may need relaxing (I'd need to see screenshots at various frequencies). That way you won't have to increase VCCSA as high because the IO won't be as severe over the bus for the IMC. Reduce the CPU clock to stock, while you chase this down otherwise you are shooting at multiple targets simultaneously. I would also do that when you test your other DRAM kit.

Raja@ASUS wrote:

If VCCSA helps then the issue is more likely related to IO - DRAM second and third tier sub-timings may need relaxing (I'd need to see screenshots at various frequencies). That way you won't have to increase VCCSA as high because the IO won't be as severe over the bus for the IMC. Reduce the CPU clock to stock, while you chase this down otherwise you are shooting at multiple targets simultaneously. I would also do that when you test your other DRAM kit.

Well, I'm just assuming VCCSA is helping. I may be wrong. Do you think that the Black could be having issues with certain memory and 8GB sticks? I have seen in the past often BIOS's are updated with memory compatibility updates and the list of QVL memory for this board is pretty light.

I will be trying some different RAM soon that is QVL according to G.Skill. It is also 4GB sticks rather than 8GB. I will see about getting screenshots of my second/third timings on my current memory and the Black.

My too, getting up ay night to shut the computer twice is a pain in the ass, where is Asus on this issue? are their head in the sand? everyone I know that has this board is having the same issues.

CPU intel i7 3970x Gskill 64 gig kit running @ 2400 XMP 4.9 wind 7

I have noticed that if I turn the PSU power off when I turn back on and restart it fail the O.C and take direct to BIOS, which didn't happen before with Rampage IV xtreme.

FX45Guy
Level 7
No issues on my end.
Board is totally rock solid, and I've made a ton of changes in the BIOS.

i7-4960X Overclocked to 4.6GHz @ 1.375V.
16GB (4x4GB) Quad Dominator Platinum @ 2400MHz C10
Two NVidia 780GTX in SLI
Corsair AX1200i PS
WD Black 2TB HDD (no Raid)

FX45Guy wrote:
No issues on my end.
Board is totally rock solid, and I've made a ton of changes in the BIOS.

i7-4960X Overclocked to 4.6GHz @ 1.375V.
16GB (4x4GB) Quad Dominator Platinum @ 2400MHz C10
Two NVidia 780GTX in SLI
Corsair AX1200i PS
WD Black 2TB HDD (no Raid)

You are using different RAM and also 4x4 sticks. It may just be me, but more people reporting problems are using G.SKILL and 2x8 sticks.

Can you also post what Digi Power settings you are using and your VTT/VCCSA voltages?