cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage Black IV Random Reboots

BatJoe
Level 7
As per Raja's recommendation, I am starting this new thread to touch on the issue many are having with random reboots or startups with the new Rampage Black IV.

It would appear the issue at this moment based on user reports on other forums cannot be narrowed down yet to any specific system component or BIOS setting.

The problem if you are not aware of it is despite a system being fully stable in either Prime or other benchmark or general gaming the system will at random either reboot or based on some reports when the system is shut down it will magically reboot the system by itself. The reboot happens with no BSOD or other error message. The system simply shuts down for a few seconds and automatically reboots. I don't normally shut my system down completely, so I cannot confirm the system starting up by itself, but I can confirm random reboots when the system is on with no BSOD or other error message associated with the reboot.

I thought on my system I solved this with more tweaking of voltages, mainly VTT/VCCSA and CPU Vcore, and for a while my system stopped rebooting, until again it started happening over the last few days. Once again, completely at random, and even though I have not changed any system component or BIOS setting.

If anyone else is encountering this issue, please post about it on this thread with your system specs and BIOS settings. I will be updating this post with my current BIOS settings. If you know anyone on other forums you post on having this issue, either post on their behalf with their system specs and BIOS settings or tell them to register and post about it. If we can make Raja/ASUS Tech's jobs easier narrowing it down the quicker I'm sure it can be resolved.

My system specs:

Intel i7-3930K@4.5Ghz
Corsair Hydro H80i
ASUS Rampage IV Black
G.SKILL Trident X 16GB@1866MHz 8-9-9-24-2T
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Corsair AX750

It should be noted, I was using the same system components and same overclock on a Rampage Formula IV and all was well. Stable and no random reboots.
Intel i7-3930K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS Rampage IV Black // G.SKILL Trident X 16GB@1866MHz 8-9-9-24-2T // EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 840 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750 //
50 REPLIES 50

PuffY
Level 7
The motherboards QVL for memory. There are only a few sets on the list rated at the boards max speed of 2800. Its a crap shot if you shop off of that list, there is no guarantee the memory you chose will work correctly. That's why there is a QVL so you know what has been tested and guaranteed to work in your board.

Raja
Level 13
Might be the subtimings are tight, but you can adjust that easily enough with the latency boundary setting.

BatJoe
Level 7
@Raja:

Find below my screenshots of DRAM Timings:

Primary timings are at stock 8-9-9-24 1.6V @ 1866mhz.

You mentioned Latency Boundary. What is the difference between Nearer, Further, Furthest? How can I know what my board is defaulting too?
Intel i7-3930K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS Rampage IV Black // G.SKILL Trident X 16GB@1866MHz 8-9-9-24-2T // EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 840 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750 //

Raja
Level 13
For simplicity sake in the third timings set everything from tRRDR to tRRSR to 6. You will still need to adjust VCCSA perhaps, but that should ease the IO at DDR3-1866.

All one has to do in the memory timing section to see the diff between auto and manual is to note the values, change the setting, reBOOT and then see what the altered values are. Latency boundary simply moves the third timing set out further for people that want to do the bare minimum when clockin g a system.

The advice I've given you above negates the need to use latency boundary. you can then pull in each value til you find the one that your IMC and DRAM kit is struggling with at your imposed VCCSA cap of 1.20V.

You can also test DRAM and VCCSA voltage requirements between tweak mode 1 & 2 if you wish.

-Raja

zimzoid
Level 10
Hey how did you go with solving your issue? Seemed to have fixed it here for the moment by doing a fresh windows 8.1 install (which i didn't do when i installed the mobo thought i could get away without doing it since my old gigabyteUD7 has the same chip-set) and adjusting the memory voltage and so far no reboots, was only happening to me in DX11 games like BF4 and Assassins Creed Black Flag
4930k/Corsair H110i GT: Rampage IV Black ED motherboard: Gskill 4x4GB 2133MHZ 10 11 11 30 1T: CM V1200w Platinum psu: 2x EVGA GTX980Ti SC ACX++: SoundBlaster Zx: Logitech Z906 5.1-channel speaker system: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD: 1tb WD Black HD/512GB WD Black HD: Asus Swift 144HZ 3D 2560x1440 Display: QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 2560x1440 matte PLS display: Corsair Vengence K70 mechanical keyboard: Corsair M45 mouse: Thermaltake Core V71 full tower Case: Windows 10 64bit

Raja
Level 13
That means the OC isn't stable and is failing training. This is down to how you've setup UEFI to cater for that overclock.

Where people get caught out is that they get confused by the fact the system is perfectly stable after it POSTs. The only reason it is stable is because it passed the memory tests that are run during the POST memory check. The mechanisms employed for memory training are subject to drift if a system is pushed hard. In some cases the end-user can dial things out by adjusting DRAM timings and any associated voltages.

In other words, you need to tune that system or accept the fact it is not 100% stable from AC power cycle.

NEOAethyr
Level 7
From my experience, abiet it's been a while since I've messed with it...
I had reboots and hardlocks (not any more, I only had the issue when messing around trying to push for that next step up).

A hardlock is the vcore being far to low.
A reboot is from the vcore being just a tad to low, meaning it's able to recover it's self and the way it does so is a reboot.
If it's to low it won't beable to do that and it'll hardlock instead.

I recommend clocking one thing at a time, so you know where the prob is.
Try stock voltage and cpu speed.

WillyK
Level 10
I've had my fair share of 100% Prime stable setups, occasionally failing just the "training" phase in the BIOS...

My approach has been to setup manually "CPU VCORE Boot Up Voltage" in the "DIGI+ Power Control" to some higher VCore (e.g. 1.4V) so it can pass the so called "training". May not work for you if your rig is really unstable, but it may be worthwhile trying this option out. Good luck 🙂

a better PSU ?

This what I found out:

I unplug my Nvidia GTX 690 and no random reboot for 7 days, my pc is powered down not unplugged .

Anyone any thoughts? to why the the video card is causing a random reboot?