rampage 3 black edition will not post after bios update to 602 from 404

specs
evga 580 x2
24gb patriot viper sector 7
i7 970
1200 silverstone strider gold
120gb vertex 3 SSD
2tb western digital caviar black HDD

After I flashed the bios and restarted I get a debug code of 85 which means "OEM DXE initialization code" according to manual.
I tried clearing cmos with the button on the back of mobo, using the jumper and removing the cmos battery (even went out and bought a new one to see if that was the problem).Also, tried the bios switch and attempted to flash the bios back to 404 using a jump drive. So far no dice. Is there any hope to get it to post or even to restore the factory bios setting, so that I can just reload 404 and have my comp work?
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
Remove all your components, including your CPU, remove all the power lead from the PSU.

So that you have a bare motherboard not even a stick of ram or hdd connected.

Take the battery out.
Reset
Clear CMOS using the jumper
Let you board stand overnight.

Put the bare minimum of bits back into your motherboard.

CPU, 1 stick ram no HDD and one graphic card.

Reboot should all work now.

If still problematic repeat but this time do a power up with the LN2 mode enabled.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I will try that today. Tnx for the info and just to verify when you say reset you mean press the reset button also after everything is out? that is what I am going to do...if it is something else plz say. Thanks.

- Rampage III Black Edition - i7 990X

I noticed that one of my secondary hard drives was no longer available but otherwise the PC still functioning correctly. I shutdown, disconnect SATA cable from problem drive and reboot. First I get no post screen with debug code 87, I then power completely down instead of restart and this time it boots just fine.

Now I power down again, reconnect problem drive with intent of trying to recover data off the drive before removing it completely. PC boots fine again, and drive shows in explorer briefly before disappearing again... no suprise there. I power down again, disconnect failing drive cable but now I get no post screen with debug code 85.

I strip down board, reset bios, and reseat everything but drive cables and still code 85.

I have not yet tried a minimum hardware boot as suggested(will do later after work). Is there a better description of the error other than "OEM DXE initialization" ? ?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes reset after all is out.
then clear CMOS with the jumpers
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

MAD
Level 7
Hi, I have the same problem. I put a failed disk and systems hangs, and also shows Smart error. So, Unplug the failed drive, but appears code 87 and a couple of seconds later in the bios I get no image. I have image but for 30 seconds maybe, and then nothing. And the same code 87. Any way to solve it? I try disconnecting all the drives, reset bios, change for the second bios and the same. All was working fine before connecting this failed drive.