cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM issues on ROG Maximus Hero VII

Pipodi
Level 7
Hi guys.

I have some strange issues regarding my RAM. I've done a benchmark of my rig (http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/6677676) and as you can see my RAM is under-performing a LOT. I tried reseating the RAM but the MOBO acts in a strange way. It only boots with this RAM configuration (https://ibb.co/jL23uw) but the benchmark is really poor. I tried seating the RAM in the black slots, but it goes with the 55 error code. I tried pressing the MemOK button, but no luck, I even enabled the XMP.

Some advice? I don't really know how to solve this. Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Pipodi
Level 7
Now I'm running on a single 8GB slot, placed in the rightmost black slot and I'm achieving this: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/6680471

If I place the RAMs in the first two slots next to the CPU, my pc won't boot/gives 55 code error. I tried to loose the cooler a bit, but same result.

Menthol
Level 14
If you are using a 2 stick kit they need to be placed in the RED slots for dual channel. They are under performing because they are running in single channel mode.
If they won't work in the 2 RED slots, try 1 stick in 1 RED slot, then try the same stick in the 2nd RED slot, then try the other stick in each slot to determine if you have a bad memory module or possibly slot but more likely it's a memory module or you need to remove CPU check for damaged socket pins and carefully re install the CPU and heatsink being careful to cross tighten the heatsink and not over tighten, then repeat above steps

Menthol wrote:
If you are using a 2 stick kit they need to be placed in the RED slots for dual channel. They are under performing because they are running in single channel mode.
If they won't work in the 2 RED slots, try 1 stick in 1 RED slot, then try the same stick in the 2nd RED slot, then try the other stick in each slot to determine if you have a bad memory module or possibly slot but more likely it's a memory module or you need to remove CPU check for damaged socket pins and carefully re install the CPU and heatsink being careful to cross tighten the heatsink and not over tighten, then repeat above steps

I've just tried everything you suggested.

I shut down my pc, unplugged everything except keyboard, mouse and HDMI monitor. I cleared the CMOS pressing the button, in order to have a "clean" environment. Then I put a RAM stick in the DIMM_B2 slot and I booted my pc. It went past the POST and booted into Win10. So I shut down the pc again, removed the RAM stick and placed it into the DIMM_A2 slot. Turned on the PC and it gave the 55 error code. I repeated the whole operation with the other RAM stick, but I had the same result.

So I decided to remove the heatsink and check the socket: all the pins are straight and evenly spaced. So I reseated the CPU and I tried the same operation written above, same results even without the heatsink (DIMM_B2 boots, DIMM_A2 don't), so I think we can exclude the heatsink/socket problem. After reseating the heatsink, I repeated again the whole operation above, still same results. At the end, I've put BOTH RAM sticks in the red slots and turned on the pc. It went in bootloop, not even showing the ROG logo. So I cleared the CMOS and it gave the 55 error code. I pressed the MemOK button, it rebooted but still 55 code error. I removed the DIMM_A2 RAM stick while the pc was still on and it completed the boot to Win10.

So, here's what I can't seem to understand:

This mobo was a replacement of my first mobo, still Maximus Hero VII, but it came with a bent socket pin from Amazon, it had the same RAM problem, but at that time I had a 4x4GB HyperX Fury Blue, that I changed with the actual 2x8GB HyperX Savage Red, thinking that would solve the issue, but, as you can see, this is not the case. But the thing that makes me mad is the fact that both RAM kits had problems with the DIMM_A1/A2 slots of both mobos. "Different" mobos, different RAM kits, same problem.

Is there some kind of setting that I need to enable in the BIOS, other than XMP, in order to get this done? This issue really drives me crazy, I can't figure out what causes it. Naturally I'm on the latest BIOS, I've updated few hours ago.

Menthol
Level 14
Pipodi,
Not looking good, it is possible that it is the CPU, the only way to know for sure now is try another board and or CPU.

Sorry about that

Menthol wrote:
Pipodi,
Not looking good, it is possible that it is the CPU, the only way to know for sure now is try another board and or CPU.

Sorry about that

Re-buying a new CPU means re-buying a new mobo, kinda rebuilding the pc from scratch, and I see that the 4770k is no longer avaible in any online reseller. Maybe a friend of mine has a spare CPU with the same socket. In any case, I could solve this when the issue came up the first time, but now , two, almost three years later, it's a bit too late.