cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID not working on B350 Prime plus

Thomaxius
Level 7
OK. So I got a new AM4 mobo on friday, and I can't get my RAID0 array to work.

Specs:
Asus B350 Prime plus
2x 2tb hard drives RAID0
1x 1tb
1x 256gb SSD

The raid was configured in my old system, and re-creating it is not an option (contains 4tb of data).

What happens is, Windows or windows installation doesn't detect any drives when RAID is on. It doesn't matter what slot I have the drives on, it never detects any of them. I've tried disabling the (some 3-letter combination is the name, CBS?), enabling it or using it on legacy mode with no results - windows always goes BSOD with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

If I go to raidxpert2 or the other configuration utility that comes after POST, it says all drives are 'legacy', as in they need to be initialized if one wishes to use them on RAID. Well, I tried initializing it (the SSD) and it shows up as a raid array in BIOS, but windows installation doesn't recognize it in any form.

I also tried installing the RAID drivers that are in the support section, but windows says they are not supported, even though they're WIN 10 64-bit and I have the exact OS. Also, I don't see any AMD raid or ACHI drivers in the device manager, except for some basic windows drivers.

I have now re-installed windows on ACHI mode, if that helps anything.

quick summary of other things I've tried:
- Removing the CMOS battery and resetting the BIOS settings that way
- Updating BIOS
- Booting with only the SSD

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Exact same problem here:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3395597/setting-raid-ryzen-asus-crosshair-hero.html

EDIT2: And here:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/782604-raid-on-ryzen/
14,224 Views
7 REPLIES 7

Thomaxius
Level 7
OK progress here.
- I turned raid on in the BIOS
- I turned the compatibly-boot thing on (the 3-letter combination, CBS or something)
- Went to install windows, had the b350 raid drives on my USB
- Clicked on the 'load drivers' (or whatever) -button:
I loaded the driver in the PT_RAID\RAID_bottom\WT64A*-folder. At this point no drives were detected.
I loaded the driver in*PT_RAID\RAID_driver\WT64A -folder. Now it detects all drives, but incorrectly shows my old RAID0.
I loaded the driver in*RAID_Configuration -folder.
Installed windows on my SSD
Remember to do it in that order! It didn't work before cause I think I loaded the driver first, and then the bottom one.

So now I have succesfully installed windows on raid mode.. but I don't know how I'm going to solve my existing raid0 not being detected. Maybe I'll have re-assemble my old system and backup my raid to a new 4tb drive..

Thomaxius wrote:
OK progress here.
- I turned raid on in the BIOS
- I turned the compatibly-boot thing on (the 3-letter combination, CBS or something)
- Went to install windows, had the b350 raid drives on my USB
- Clicked on the 'load drivers' (or whatever) -button:
I loaded the driver in the PT_RAID\RAID_bottom\WT64A*-folder. At this point no drives were detected.
I loaded the driver in*PT_RAID\RAID_driver\WT64A -folder. Now it detects all drives, but incorrectly shows my old RAID0.
I loaded the driver in*RAID_Configuration -folder.
Installed windows on my SSD
Remember to do it in that order! It didn't work before cause I think I loaded the driver first, and then the bottom one.

So now I have succesfully installed windows on raid mode.. but I don't know how I'm going to solve my existing raid0 not being detected. Maybe I'll have re-assemble my old system and backup my raid to a new 4tb drive..



?

There is a major misconception in believing you can just initialize your raid0 on a new controller and access the data on it.

You can't migrate a raid0 to a different controller and retain the data on it.
You need to use the old motherboard (with the controller where the raid0 was created on) and backup the data from the raid0 to another location / disk.

Then you need to recreate the raid0 in your new machine again to make it usable in your new system.
The data on the raid0 array will be lost, but you have your backup and can copy everything back.

Fragmence wrote:
?

There is a major misconception in believing you can just initialize your raid0 on a new controller and access the data on it.

You can't migrate a raid0 to a different controller and retain the data on it.
You need to use the old motherboard (with the controller where the raid0 was created on) and backup the data from the raid0 to another location / disk.

Then you need to recreate the raid0 in your new machine again to make it usable in your new system.
The data on the raid0 array will be lost, but you have your backup and can copy everything back.

Rrrrrrrrright, that explains a lot. I didn't think it was this way cause I had previously switched motheboards during my AM3+ days, and it worked fine. But that probably had the same controller.

Off topic but any idea how effective recovering from raid0 would be? I know the saying that raid0 doesn't allow restoring anything if it's lost, but data recovery software can do magic on a lot of things. But I'm wondering how much it could recover, if I wiped the drives now and then ran some data recovery software.

Thomaxius wrote:
Rrrrrrrrright, that explains a lot. I didn't think it was this way cause I had previously switched motheboards during my AM3+ days, and it worked fine. But that probably had the same controller.

Off topic but any idea how effective recovering from raid0 would be? I know the saying that raid0 doesn't allow restoring anything if it's lost, but data recovery software can do magic on a lot of things. But I'm wondering how much it could recover, if I wiped the drives now and then ran some data recovery software.


Recovery of raid0 arrays is indeed possible ... like if you don't "have access" to the old motherboard anymore for whatever reasons.
The thing is. It involves risky trial & error methods...

I will tell you straight away, the two SAFEST methods would be:

1) use the old motherboard... where the raid0 was created
2) if you don't have any of the old motherboards where this raid0 worked on, buy a cheap of the same model on ebay or rent from a friend who has the same...
Even in this second method i believe you would have to recreate the array ... it will erase the partition table and you will have to 'repair' the partition table only with the usual suspect variety of tools: EaseUS, Testdisk... etc.

The cleanest way to try to access a clean partition table array with data on it would be a linux distribution which was specially designed with Recovery in mind:
https://opensource.com/life/15/2/five-specialized-linux-distributions-computer-repair

So... and the last resort would be to rebuild the array on your new controller, which GENERALLY... does only write a new partition table.
And then you would have to run a Recovery tool as well to read out the file system ... sector scan for file headers....

If the data is very important to you, I really would consider getting a board with the same type of controller to get your data saved...

Yeah and for general procedure of RAID0 recovery I can only send you to google... There's a lot of tutorials and howtos ... even for the special case of RAID0 recovery. But that's a lot of content. Depending on what tools you want to use. So just read yourself into some stuff if you want to try recovering.

Cheers

Use decent software to do the backup.
I searched a lot about data recovery yesterday and got some information. There are two tools which I came across, but I have some issues running the first one. The first tool is called TestDisk. It doesn't have a GUI, and it works on command lines. I didn’t find any videos or tutorials which can guide me exactly how to run this application. It will be great if someone can share. Meanwhile, I tried the demo of Pandora data recovery software. I'm not affiliated with them but you can find out more here http://www.pandorarecovery.com/ It completed the scan and showed me plenty of deleted files including the ones which I want to restore. Likewise, other tools are paid too. I still have the feeling if I can run TestDisk one last time before I recover data from Pandora Recovery. So, someone has the working knowledge of it?

Did you ever get this resolved? it took me 4 days to get it to work. i have 4 drives also. it seems to put all the drive in the raid. i only want my 2 -1tb drives in the raid. it puts all of them in. im to the point where im thinking of adding a separate raid card in just for the two that i want in the array. i had windows 10 break and the only way to get it back on, was to break the array on all the drives and put it back together. i lost about 2 tb worth of data cause of this.


Thomaxius wrote:
Rrrrrrrrright, that explains a lot. I didn't think it was this way cause I had previously switched motheboards during my AM3+ days, and it worked fine. But that probably had the same controller.

Off topic but any idea how effective recovering from raid0 would be? I know the saying that raid0 doesn't allow restoring anything if it's lost, but data recovery software can do magic on a lot of things. But I'm wondering how much it could recover, if I wiped the drives now and then ran some data recovery software.

cybersabalero
Level 7
Thomaxius wrote:
OK. So I got a new AM4 mobo on friday, and I can't get my RAID0 array to work.

Specs:
Asus B350 Prime plus
2x 2tb hard drives RAID0
1x 1tb
1x 256gb SSD

The raid was configured in my old system, and re-creating it is not an option (contains 4tb of data).

What happens is, Windows or windows installation doesn't detect any drives when RAID is on. It doesn't matter what slot I have the drives on, it never detects any of them. I've tried disabling the (some 3-letter combination is the name, CBS?), enabling it or using it on legacy mode with no results - windows always goes BSOD with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

If I go to raidxpert2 or the other configuration utility that comes after POST, it says all drives are 'legacy', as in they need to be initialized if one wishes to use them on RAID. Well, I tried initializing it (the SSD) and it shows up as a raid array in BIOS, but windows installation doesn't recognize it in any form.

I also tried installing the RAID drivers that are in the support section, but windows says they are not supported, even though they're WIN 10 64-bit and I have the exact OS. Also, I don't see any AMD raid or ACHI drivers in the device manager, except for some basic windows drivers.

I have now re-installed windows on ACHI mode, if that helps anything.

quick summary of other things I've tried:
- Removing the CMOS battery and resetting the BIOS settings that way
- Updating BIOS
- Booting with only the SSD

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Exact same problem here:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3395597/setting-raid-ryzen-asus-crosshair-hero.html

EDIT2: And here:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/782604-raid-on-ryzen/



Well, I have several problems to do my RAID 0 with two HDD Barracuda. First of all, I create the RAID in the BIOS, . Second, after rebooting, I entered on RAID menu bly clicking CRTL+R. Selecting the two drives and selecting a RAID 0. This doing well. Can create coprrectly the RAID and out with "continue to boot". When I tried to install windows 10, I flollowed the procedure to load driver. Windows recognized the raid and do the partiotioning well, but never start to install. The install program frezze. I need to know the correct settings in the bios about CSM and a NVMe (availble o disable), cause I put a lot of combination of sttings with no success. Thanks.