cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raid fails when BIOS is reset

eman_jr
Level 7
Hi all,

I have the Maximus Vii Formula motherboard paired up with 1 SATA III SDD and 4x 1TB HDDs running RAID10. I have my SDD as the OS Drive and the HDDs as the DATA drive where I have my Program Files redirected to. The problem I'm having is that anytime I reset the BIOS using the botton at the back, the SATA mode switches back to AHCI and boots to Windows not allowing me to get into BIOS right away after resetting.

I restart the computer and get in BIOS then sets the SATA mode back to RAID but by that time the RAID is already corrupt and it shows a status as failed.

Does anyone have a way around it or any ideas?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Does that motherboard have DirectKey support?

If so, push the DirectKey button - I believe the default is always "direct to BIOS."

Z

EDIT: Push DirectKey button, while power is off - should power on and boot straight to BIOS.

eman_jr
Level 7
In my understanding the Directkey is used when you are in Windows and you want to get the BIOS, you press it and it reboots the computer straight into BIOS. That doesn't help with my issue because it will be too late.

Here is what happened.

I selected one of the OC presets in the BIOS to OC thinking its safer than manually changing stuff to OC the board. The board shuts down, comes up and gets stuff in a reboot loop and at this point I couldn't get into BIOS because it automatically restarts. So I used the clear CMOS button on the board to reset the BIOS settings and this seems to disable power to the usb devices connected until it starts loading windows. Therefore hitting the Del key repeatedly does nothing because the keyboard has not power at start after pressing the clear CMOS button.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
I use the DirectKey to boot straight to BIOS when my machine is off, since it takes forever using delete with my hardware RAID setup. I was unsure only whether your board supports it.

Z