cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID 5 configuration on Crosshair V Formula Z for Linux (Ubuntu)

tonysonney
Level 7
Hello,
I am trying to build a PC. The main configurations are

Motherboard Criosshair V Formula Z
CPU FX9590
SSD 5x 120GB Sandisk SSD Connected on Sata port 1-5

I have set
Port1-4 RAID
Port5-6 RAID
Board SATA RAID ROM Legacy ROM

Within the AMD ROM Utility have set the RAID array to use RAID mode 5 with all the SSDS totaling 507.99GB. When I restart,
BIOS detects it as one drive 'Logical Drive 1'

Problem

- The more I read, I get the feeling the mobo does not have actual hardware raid controller but fake firmware raid. Can somebody please
confirm whether it is a Hardware or firmware raid? Depending on the raid support, I can narrow down my effort to setup the appropriate raid.

- When I try to install ubuntu on the RAID. Ubuntu detects the storage a s 5 drives of 120GB sda-sde, as if the BIOS RAID configuration never
existed. I would have expected the RAID controller to present the memory as 1 single chunk of 507GB. Can somebody please help? Am I
missing any configuration?

Many Thanks,
Tony
13 REPLIES 13

tonysonney wrote:
Hi Dr. Zchivago,
Did you manage to get the RAID working using latest Ubuntu 14.04.4?
Many Thanks,
Tony

I've been slammed by school and work this week and weekend, and I haven't had the chance to try it. I hope to have a chance to do it this week.

Z

tonysonney
Level 7
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS was released last week. But the installer is not stable. Ubiquity crash due to permission errors.
So I guess will have to stick with 14.04.4 till 16.04 becomes stable.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
It's weird - I know I did this before, except my setup is 1 TB HDD and not SSDs.

I haven't been able to get it to work yet, though; I would suggest we are probably missing something very simple.

Z

Are you also stuck at the reboot where the BIOS cant detect the RAID partition?