cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R4E: Tired of cold boot failures

Betelgeuse
Level 7
I'm just sick of the system constantly not being able to power up after being off for a few hours. The config consists of an R4E, i7 3960X, 32GB RAM DDR3-1600 (same thing with 16GB only), 2x GTX 580, Silverstone ST1500 PSU, blah blah blah... Almost every day after I get back from work and try to power the system up I get the stupid "Overclocking failed" message when nothing is overclocked, never was. I have tried all the different BIOSes (up to the latest beta) and all the other fixes suggested all over different boards. Nothing has resolved the issue permanently. It is extremely frustrating when the system doesn't boot up properly, yet sometimes boots without an issue. I am also very disappointed that Asus has not been able to fix this problem, or am I missing something?
13,437 Views
26 REPLIES 26

mdzcpa
Level 12
What code are you getting on the LED when the cold boot fails?

mdzcpa wrote:
What code are you getting on the LED when the cold boot fails?


I think it varies. Today it was 6B.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Did you try the very latest BIOS. ver 1101 ??
They've been adressing cold boot issues in their updates.


Some system specs beyond blah blah blah might be helpful.
Are you running Optimzed defaults?
Using XMP?
Rampage tweak Mode?

mdzcpa wrote:
Did you try the very latest BIOS. ver 1101 ??
They've been adressing cold boot issues in their updates.


Some system specs beyond blah blah blah might be helpful.
Are you running Optimzed defaults?
Using XMP?
Rampage tweak Mode?


I haven't tried 1101 yet, will give it a shot.

Like I said in the original post, I tried just about every option in all kinds of combinations, including the settings you suggested.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If the new BIOS update does not help the problem please try this.

Set RC WARM boot fast under Memory Timings to Enabled, then you don’t retrain Memory at reboots each time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
If the new BIOS update does not help the problem please try this.

Set RC WARM boot fast under Memory Timings to Enabled, then you don’t retrain Memory at reboots each time.


I wish I could, but that setting is not there. The last setting under Timing Control is MCH Recheck, there is not RC Warm boot fast.

BTW, still not cold booting with 1101.

Betelgeuse wrote:
I wish I could, but that setting is not there. The last setting under Timing Control is MCH Recheck, there is not RC Warm boot fast.

BTW, still not cold booting with 1101.


I can't find this setting either 😞

Update with 1101:

The issue persists, today the system started to boot came up with "Overclocking failed". Went into BIOS (as I usually do with these cold boot failures) selected "Save and exit" without changing anyting and system shutdown, usually it reboots. Then it powered back on with the same error, went into the BIOS again did the same thing then the system hang for a while with a mouse cursor and a gray screen before finally booting up. Very annoying. Strangely, every time it fails to cold boot and I enter the BIOS the BIOS is very sluggish with slow redraws between screens. This does not occur with normal boots or when entering the BIOS for other purposes.

Betelgeuse wrote:
Update with 1101:

Strangely, every time it fails to cold boot and I enter the BIOS the BIOS is very sluggish with slow redraws between screens. This does not occur with normal boots or when entering the BIOS for other purposes.


Do you have this sluggishness with both BIOS? And do you have many other USB devices plugged into your IN/OUT ports other than keyboard and mouse?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.