cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R4E - SSD shown up as SCSI

overdriven12
Level 8
Hi

I have a big problem my Samsung 830 SSD is shown up as an SCSI Device so the SSD is not recognized by the following Software:

SSDLife
Samsung SSD Magician
CrystalDiskInfo

I contacted the Samsung support and they said that there a some other people who have this issue.

What i did:

I reinstalled windows 7 (64bit) completely new and installed the drivers from the asus site

i figured out that one of the Intel drivers makes that issue.

There a 3 Intel drivers for the Rampage 4 Extreme:

Intel Management Engine
Intel Rapid Storage
and the Chipset driver

In the Bios its all on default incl. AHCI mode ON

My SSD is on the first RED SATA 6GB/s Port (I also tryed to switch the ports)

Here is a Picture:
Red -> connected to SATA6_1 Port
Yellow -> connected to SATA2 Port
Green -> connected to SATA6_E1 Port

My System:

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Intel Core i7-3960X standart clocked
Corsair H80 Watercooling
32GB Kingston Hyper Genesis X DDR-3 RAM
2x Nvidia GTX 570 SLi
Enermax Revolution 85+ 950 Watts PSU
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1

EDIT:

I tested the SATA 6GB/s Ports which controlled by the ASMedia driver with my SSD and the issue is gone.

But now the SSD is ~ 30% slower than before.

what can i do to fix that?!
Please help!
44 REPLIES 44

LiveOrDie wrote:
This is because the C600 Raid drivers are new they need time to improve your old board probably was crap to when it was 1st released.

Nope my old board performed pretty damn good out the box but with that said, it is more than likely the drivers that are causing the bottleneck.

I’ll just have to wait for a more mature diver set to be released.

P.S.
I was messing with some of my SSD settings and found that disabling Write-back Cashe increased my 4k writes by a considerable amount, Strange. Well, this has nothing to do with the OP so I will open another thread.
CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K
MEM: 96GB DDR5 6600MHz Corsair Dominator Titanium
MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX4090
STORAGE: 2X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO RAID0
OS DRIVE: 1X 2TB Samsung 990PRO
SCRATCH DRIVE: 1X 2TB Samsung 980Pro
PSU: 1500W Corsair HX1500i
COOLING: Custom Hardline 3 RAD Loop with 15 Corsair QL and 3X Corsair Commander XTs
WATERBLOCKS: GPU: Alphacool Custom Block | CPU: EK-Quantum Velocity² D-RGB

aberdeen
Level 7
UserX wrote:
Hmm, that is strange I am definitely getting a performance decrease on this board for some reason.

As of today I lost the ability to pass the trim command to ssd's on the 4 SATA2 ports along with unable to format a 2 TB drive.
This confirms my suspicion that the C600 chip caught the P67 disease back in early 2011. Another Intel "pawn off" of defective enterprise crap to the non-important clientele.

Intel should of stuck a Z68 on the board with the 2011. X79 is a POS.
"In a world of compromise, some don't."

aberdeen wrote:
As of today I lost the ability to pass the trim command to ssd's on the 4 SATA2 ports along with unable to format a 2 TB drive.
This confirms my suspicion that the C600 chip caught the P67 disease back in early 2011. Another Intel "pawn off" of defective enterprise crap to the non-important clientele.

Intel should of stuck a Z68 on the board with the 2011. X79 is a POS.

You really need to do some research before you speak. (And with such a poor attitude, why not sell your hw and move on if you hate it so much? No need for such negativity..)

And I sincerely doubt your drives "magically" lost TRIM support. How are you verifying this?
With the disappearing 2TB drive, are you certain the drive is not at fault? Are the RSTe drivers installed & updated? BIOS configured correctly?

If so, it sounds like it's time for an RMA for your board.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Necrosan wrote:
You really need to do some research before you speak. (And with such a poor attitude, why not sell your hw and move on if you hate it so much? No need for such negativity..)

And I sincerely doubt your drives "magically" lost TRIM support. How are you verifying this?
With the disappearing 2TB drive, are you certain the drive is not at fault? Are the RSTe drivers installed & updated? BIOS configured correctly?

If so, it sounds like it's time for an RMA for your board.

As an engineer, I use diagnostic test methods. You need to do comprehend what you are responding to.
The ports in question is the 4 SATA2 (3GB) ports, NOT the SATA3 (6GB) ports.
It has nothing to do with any Bios settings or Driver issues.
It has to do with demanding writes and reads to a drive such as a forced trim command or format not being able to complete in full.
"In a world of compromise, some don't."

Removed the post
CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K
MEM: 96GB DDR5 6600MHz Corsair Dominator Titanium
MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX4090
STORAGE: 2X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO RAID0
OS DRIVE: 1X 2TB Samsung 990PRO
SCRATCH DRIVE: 1X 2TB Samsung 980Pro
PSU: 1500W Corsair HX1500i
COOLING: Custom Hardline 3 RAD Loop with 15 Corsair QL and 3X Corsair Commander XTs
WATERBLOCKS: GPU: Alphacool Custom Block | CPU: EK-Quantum Velocity² D-RGB