cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R4E, 3960X, random shutdown and unable to post for like half an hour.

GattscL
Level 7
Hi guys, i was looking trough the forum in the last few days, but was unable to find a solution for my problem.
These are my specs.

R4E
Intel I7-3960X 3.3 extreme edition.
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 32gb (8x4gb) (CMD16GX3M4A2400C9)
Zotak Geforce GTX Titan 6gb
Antec HCP-1000 Platinum

Now the problem...

Im not familiarized with OC, i've never done it and dont want to. I currently have all settings in default and for the use that i give to the PC and the games that i play, i dont need to OC.

Im currently having random shutdowns, always when im playing. I check for temps and dont seem to be the problem (MB=30°C, CPU=34°C and VGA=70°C).After the shutdown the system start up again but without post. Im not having any error code on the board screen and a red light on cpu_led/vttddr_co appears. If i shutdown the computer for like half an hour and turning on again, the system boots up just fine.

Any idea of whats can i do with this?, i just want the system to be stable.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

stephy32
Level 7
looks like something is getting too hot. Maybe the mosfet above the CPU? 30 minutes to cool off.
To rule this out, when the system shut down, unplug the PSU and press the power ON button to empty residual power. Connect the PSU back and try to power up. If it still takes 30 minutes before you can use the system again, something is not working.

It could also be the PSU turning off because the Titan is pulling to much juice. A full spec listing would help but if the PSU has multiple rails for the +12V PCI-E connector, make sure you use 2 separates cable on different rail.
Rampage IV Dark I7-4930K@ 4.5GHz XSPC Block chipset, CPU, Mosfet
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series F3-2400C11Q-32GZM
EVGA GTX 780TI SC SLI on XSPC Water block.
EGVA Supernova 1300W
XSPC AX360 kit. EK-DDC PUMP, 2X XT-120mm

stephy32 wrote:
looks like something is getting too hot. Maybe the mosfet above the CPU? 30 minutes to cool off.
To rule this out, when the system shut down, unplug the PSU and press the power ON button to empty residual power. Connect the PSU back and try to power up. If it still takes 30 minutes before you can use the system again, something is not working.

It could also be the PSU turning off because the Titan is pulling to much juice. A full spec listing would help but if the PSU has multiple rails for the +12V PCI-E connector, make sure you use 2 separates cable on different rail.

I dont think that is a temp problem. Last night was able to play with my friends for 5+ hours without problems at all. Today i enter a game and in 15 minutes i had a shutdown.

In windows it works just fine, but in games, after a random period of time it happens. When it happens its always the 3 same leds(1 red and 2 green) on the board and no error code at all, the board display is just off.

I've been reading this forums and others all day long without progress. One of the time when the system hung, i remove all 8 rams and try only 1 in each socket without success. I even try to reset the bios and nothing. Only works when i unplug the psu and wait between 15 to 30 minutes(dont work with PSU plugged)

Here are my full spec listing.

Rampage IV Extreme
i7-3960X 3.3 GHz Extreme Edition
Dominator Platinum 32GB (8X 4GB) 2400 MHz
Thermaltake EATX Urban S71 s/F
Antec HCP platinum 1000w
SSD Kingston Hyper X 3k 120gb
SSD Corsair Force-GT 480gb
HDD WD 2TB Sata3 IntelliPower 64mb Caviar Green
Zotak Geforce GTX Titan 6GB
Corsair *WaterCooling Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance

Im going to try the second cable for the titan and i'll give u feedback later today.

Thanks in advance.

Apollyon
Level 7
Out of curiosity are there any recorded errors in your windows system/application logs at the time when the computer shuts down? Have you tried running Prime 95 "Blended Tests" to test for system stability? Is the memory you have purchased on the QVL list for the motherboard you own?

If you can boot into Windows but then your machine shuts down with the temps you have noted it seems that you have some sort of memory error, and potentially a bad slot on your board. Just a hypothetical of course could be drivers as well, have you made sure to check that you have the newest versions?

GattscL
Level 7
@Stephy32:

Unplugging the psu it still take between 15 to 30 mins to boot up again. I connect a second cable on a different rail for the second connector of the titan and nothing.

@Apollyon:

It show a critical error on the log for power loss. Dont know if its related to the problem. About the memory's on the QVL, for what i see, there are not in the list.

I ran prime95 blended test, pass everything ok, then i try the second test (most heat) for about 30 mins and it shutdown. Remove all sticks of ram and only leave the A1 stick on the board, wait the half hour, boot up, run blended test for like 3+hours without problems, then i ran the second one again for 2+hours and no problem at all. The weird thing comes here. By mistake i press the restart button in windows instead of the power off to add more sticks and before post y press the power button to shut it down, and fails again. If u change something in the bios, sometimes boot and sometimes wont.

If i try to reset the bios, nothing happens, if i unplug the psu, nothing happens, not even removing the battery from the MB help to get rid of the CPU, PCH1.5 and VCORE lights. The only solution is to wait, sometimes a short time(10+ m) and sometimes a lot(40+ m). The other thing its that is more frequent at day, in the night i can play and use the PC for hours without problems, during the day, the shutdowns are more frequently.

Do a stress test for VGA, CPU and RAM, sometimes run forever and sometimes it shutdown very quickly.

Looking trough the forum i found this thread, with almost the exactly same error.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33006-New-RIVE-build-CPU-PCH1.5-VCORE-LEDs-DOA-MB

The only difference its that my system boot, but besides that, its the same.

Any ideas?, thanks in advance.

GattscL
Level 7
UPDATE:

well people, after trying everything i found the problem. For some reason, the PSU was giving the problem. The weird thing is that i try 2 other different PSU, working right now on different computers without problem, and i test my PSU on the 2 different systems without problem either. So, its there anything about a PSU being not compatible with x piece of hardware??? is that even possible????. Right now my PSU is working like a charm on other computer, but with my hardware its not. Im using now a CM 850w 80Plus Silver Silent Pro M2 from a friend, been testing it for 2+ days and still no problem.

Hope this help someone else.

😄