cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R4BE not working with Windows 8.1 please help.

fenton419
Level 7
Dear all,

I am having issues with my new R4BE, I have copied and pasted my email to Asus but if someone here can help, I'll be just as grateful!!

-----------------------

I'm going to start this issue again, just so you can have all of the details.

I have tried to install Windows 7 and 8 from fresh.

When I try to install the OS onto my system in anything other than RAID, I.e. IDE, compatibility mode or ACHI the system does not see any drives, nor does it allow me to install any of the drives by using the drivers supplied on the Motherboard Support Disc. I have also downloaded the updated drivers and tried those at windows setup, which also fail to load.

When I tried to install Windows from my installation USB flash disc, I was unable to see any of my SSD's.

If I use my original Windows Disc's, either Windows 7 or 8 I can see the SSD's if they are in RAID 0 mode, which is fine as this is the setup I want.

Using this method I have managed to get Windows 7 onto the PC now after a lot of upgrading and modelling.

I have also now managed to install my copy of Windows 8; however, when I attempt to install the 8.1 update from the Windows store the PC crashes and upon reboot the RAID has lost one drive.

At this point I then power off the machine and wait a few seconds before turning the power on again. The RAID drives have reappeared as a single and I boot into Windows 8 where I am greeted with the message that Windows was unable to install the 8.1 update.

This seems to be a common issue with Rampage 4 black edition owners who are running RAID 0, with multiple people having issues on the ROG forums. It also seems to be an issue with the Rampage 4 extreme.

My system is set to boot, and has Windows installed under 'LegacyOp' and not UEFI.

Every time I have tried UEFI the system completely crashes.

My system specs for you again are listed below.

I have all C states disabled,
I have the Turbo function of the CPU disabled
I have no over locking what so ever.

CPU Intel i7 4930k
RAM Kingston HyperX Beast 64GB
SSD Samsung 840 500GB (x2 in RAID 0)
GPU HIS Radeon 6950 (x2 in X-Fire)

I would appreciate any help you could give me so that I can actually use the system I have paid a lot of money to have!!

Thanks,

Shane
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That 64GB of RAM is it a single 64GB kit?...on the QVL for the board...have you run Memtest86+ on it is it set up XMP or left at F5 defaults?

The disks...did you break the raid in the Intel utility before trying to use the disks singly....or secure erase?

Hi Arne,

The RAM I have used is 2 x 32GB sets (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A771ZOQ/ref=noref/276-0263186-3115963?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computer...) from Kingston.

Before I purchased the set I did speak with Kingston who advised me that the 32GB set was the exact same as the 64GB set. Unfortunately Amazon did not have the 64GB in stock.

The RAM is certified for XMP 2400MHz, however I have not enabled any XMP settings as I wanted to make sure the system worked first. The RAM is running at a base 1333MHz.

Each time I tried something new I broke the RAID set from within the X79 BIOS (Ctrl-I) rebooted, then created a new one.

As an update, I have now managed to get Windows 8.1 installed, howver I had to do it in a rather backwards way, by installing it onto a single HDD of 500GB, backing it up with Paragon and restoring it to the RAID set by resizing the partitions. I then manually ran the Windows Experience Index so that Windows realised it was running on a SSD system and not HDD.

I have not done a secure erase through the Asus BIOS as I could not find my SSD's listed on their compatibility page.

My issue now, is that every time I try to uncompress a file, be it a zip or rar etc. the system crashes.

When it reboots, again, one of the RAID drives have disappeared.

If I cold reboot the drive reappears and works as if there was no problem, until I try uncompressing something again.

The SSD's are Samsung 840 500GB (not 840 pro). I have updated the firmware for the drives yesterday (6th May) but am still having the same issues.

I have ran memtest86 with no errors.

I have also tried all of the hardware in my previous motherboard again (Rampage 3 extreme) and everything works 100%.

I have also had a reply from Asus, who's only response is to return the board for another.

I doubt this will fix the issue. I have spoken to several local PC shops who have since tried the same with their own kit and are having the exact same problem.

I would find it unlikely that they would have the same batch of boards, as I purchased my board off Amazon in the south of England, but I live in the very North of Scotland.!!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm well my first thought would be the RAM...simply because I see soooo many problems here on the forum from running two kits. I wonder if it would be worth your while to separate the two kits by serial numbers and to just use one of them for now...The OS problems would seem to point that way too as a possibility...RAM problems often corrupt OS installs etc.

I hope Kingston did not mean to say that running two 32GB kits was the same as a 64GB one! Maybe they meant that the 32GB would do as well as the 64GB performance wise. Kits are binned to work as a kit...not with other kits unfortunately even same make and model...

To run 64GB at 2400 with two separate kits might well be problematic...Your best bet for doing it might well be to set up manually not using XMP and to tweak some voltages (see second post in this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide&p=187479&viewfull=1#post... for some tweaks maybe...just leave CPU current capability on auto or maybe a bit higher than stock 150% 160%....)

But I really would take one kit out and maybe even test the remaining kit with Memtest86+ to make sure it is good...you don't want a rogue stick in there causing problems.

Hi again,

I did what you said and everything passed fine with no problems, however I still got he same problems.

Randomly, I decided to try putting my drives into the Sata 2 ports instead of the Sata 3's, and guess what, everything is working perfectly!!

There must be some sort of compatibility issues with running my Samsung 840's in the Sata 3 ports on the R4BE. I do think this is unusual as it is the same x79 setup as my previous Rampage 3 Extreme which ran the drives fine.

I'll keep the drives in here for now and monitor the situation for the next couple of months just to make sure everything is working good before I start doing any overclocking etc. and email Asus with the findings above... you never know maybe they will find a solution for me that will let me use the Sata 3 ports!!

Thanks for your suggestions; I may come back if I have any more issues.

Shane

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm OK that's strange...You been using the Intel SATA3 ports and not the AS media red ones I presume. Are the 840s up to date with firmware? Rampage 3 was X58 not X79 different chipset so...to move from one to the other you would have to break raid, secure erase and clean install I guess...

Hi all,

Yes it was a new raid setup and all firmwares are up to date.

As a further update, the system has now been running for a while with no problems what so ever on the data 2 ports.

Until I see any updates for the raid, SSD's or sata drivers I'm going to keep the system running here.

Thanks for all your help.

Shane