cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[R3E Black Edition] Unofficial Support Thread

RagingCain
Level 7
Just wondering why we were not receiving any support for the motherboard, so I started this thread.

The thread is for both:
ASUS Rampage III Extreme Black Edition + ASUS Thunderbolt

We have reported plenty of issues, we would love some info from others, and obviously responses with ASUS.
73 REPLIES 73

Raja
Level 13
By the way, can you turn off memory recheck at DDR3-1600 and see if you still get a lot of reboots. If you don't, check task manager and see if all the DIMMs are mapped.

-Raja

Those screenshots I posted earlier are all utilizing 24GB, and Memory Check is Disabled. MemCheck was the only way I could get the screenshot up above posting 2000 MHz, when I first came to you with troubles.

It would reboot 3 or 4 times (similar to post loop) before it finally "caught" itself, and started up like nothing was wrong. I mentioned it to you I didn't like that due to my water pumps having to go on and off in rapid succession.

RagingCain wrote:
Those screenshots I posted earlier are all utilizing 24GB, and Memory Check is Disabled. MemCheck was the only way I could get the screenshot up above posting 2000 MHz, when I first came to you with troubles.

It would reboot 3 or 4 times (similar to post loop) before it finally "caught" itself, and started up like nothing was wrong. I mentioned it to you I didn't like that due to my water pumps having to go on and off in rapid succession.

Are we talking abut the same boards here? The screenshot above at DDR3-2000 is from the EVGA board right (there is no mainboard tab open)?.

That's what I asked you for earlier, you said you were running DDR3-2000 on that board with 24GB, so reading what you have posted now, it was never completely stable on that board either. And this screenshot is actually on the BE.

Memory recheck on the ASUS board will carry on rebooting until all the memory is mapped, that's just how it works (nothing we can do about that, the memory isn't stable so the board has to keep retrying until it can readback from all lines).

So on the BE, with DDR3-1600 and memory recheck disabled, how many times do you have to reboot?

-Raja

No that image is with this motherboard "Black Edition", it says it in the OCCT, and my old memory the 24GB of Patriot Viper Extreme running at 2000 MHz. Since I could never stabilize the memory 24/7, I decided to buy the Kingston memory as it matched the QVL close enough (I contacted Kingston before buying it), essentially its the same chips as the QVL just different heatsinks. I then got the exact same booting issues with overclock or not, and zero stability.

With Memory Recheck disabled (@ 1600 MHz), I don't have any boot looping. That only occurred at higher frequencies (both with my Kingston and with my Patriot Viper Extreme.)

What happens now is if I turn off my computer, and then cold boot some time later (for instance in the morning), the computer does NOT post. It just repeats 00, E3, 02, 69, until I power it down, and boot it back up. All of this is with Memory Recheck disabled. When it boots up, it just powers up, like nothing is wrong, tells me my overclock has failed, I press F1 to enter BIOS, then I hit F10 to immediately save and exit, and it reboots like there was no issue. No more boot looping.

Now for above 1600 MHz, I have to use Memory Recheck, otherwise it just immediately fails to post, it happens right after about 1630 MHz. It just won't post, despite being a tiny OC increase. I need Memory Recheck, and it will cycle on and off, and when I get to the 3rd ON, it posts normally. Memory Recheck doesn't work any higher than about 1695 MHz, and thus nothing over 1700 MHz will post on this memory.

RagingCain wrote:
No that image is with this motherboard "Black Edition", it says it in the OCCT, and my old memory the 24GB of Patriot Viper Extreme running at 2000 MHz. Since I could never stabilize the memory 24/7, I decided to buy the Kingston memory as it matched the QVL close enough (I contacted Kingston before buying it), essentially its the same chips as the QVL just different heatsinks. I then got the exact same booting issues with overclock or not, and zero stability.

With Memory Recheck disabled (@ 1600 MHz), I don't have any boot looping. That only occurred at higher frequencies (both with my Kingston and with my Patriot Viper Extreme.)

What happens now is if I turn off my computer, and then cold boot some time later (for instance in the morning), the computer does NOT post. It just repeats 00, E3, 02, 69, until I power it down, and boot it back up. All of this is with Memory Recheck disabled. When it boots up, it just powers up, like nothing is wrong, tells me my overclock has failed, I press F1 to enter BIOS, then I hit F10 to immediately save and exit, and it reboots like there was no issue. No more boot looping.

Now for above 1600 MHz, I have to use Memory Recheck, otherwise it just immediately fails to post, it happens right after about 1630 MHz. It just won't post, despite being a tiny OC increase. I need Memory Recheck, and it will cycle on and off, and when I get to the 3rd ON, it posts normally.

Okay, that gives me what I need finally. Shame you did not try the OCP disable on that older kit as it looks like it probably clocked better than the kit you have now.

The memory recheck is what it is, if there is any instability the reboots will persist.

I will ask HQ to have a look at the DDR3-1600 reboot requirements and see what they say. Good or bad news I will tell you here.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Okay, that gives me what I need finally. Shame you did not try the OCP disable on that older kit as it looks like it probably clocked better than the kit you have now.

The memory recheck is what it is, if there is any instability the reboots will persist.

I will ask HQ to have a look at the DDR3-1600 reboot requirements and see what they say. Good or bad news I will tell you here.

-Raja

Thanks a lot Raja. I know, I wish I had more time with it, but I desperately needed a stable system for both work and programming.

I asked earlier but it got overshadowed by everything, I saw Crosshair V Formula has some newer versions of AI Suite II, we should be able to use them correct?

Raja
Level 13
AI Suite is board AND hardware specific, so use the version for your board.

If the system is that important to you, it makes me wonder how you succumb to changing out a working board so easily (this is not a diatribe). Just trying to tell you never to break down a working good system in search of something better if you can help it. Hope me saying this helps you out somewhere down the road.

-Raja

I was between semester breaks, and was switching out a pair of 580s for a pair of 590s, and a new case. And of course a gorgeous motherboard released at the same time seemed like a perfect match. Unfortunately one 590 was DOA, and since it was a "pair" purchase, I had to return both. The 580s had already been sold to help fund the 590 purchase. And my mechanical drives arrived one after the other DOA from NewEgg. That took 3 or 4 weeks to deal with getting a usable hard drive. My SSD is only a boot drive, and not much room for Photoshop CS5 and Visual Studio.

Time and time went on, then my case took an additional week of construction, and I quickly found myself computer less, and less time to even work on one, let alone put together a water cooled loop.

The real sad part of the story is that my G60Vx laptop, had left one week before, as my parents laptop had died, and since I was looking at a nice beefy desktop companion, I figured I would get something lightweight and nimble to replace it. I never did, especially with the cash flow I spent on the computer.

NOW, I have a G74SX, although a cheaper one from BestBuy. I have been doing almost all my programming from there, even a bit of light gaming. Its rather impressive.

I am not easily swayed into buying new gear, but I just got the upgrade bug, and a massive one at that. I won't be upgrading or changing anything, save maybe water cooling the motherboard, for another 3 or 4 years. So it maybe worth it the long run. When there is a Rampage VII Extreme, I will probably be looking at a board then 😉

I am still very happy with everything except the bugs/issues I have had.

Like I said, I never thought I would have 4.400 GHz stable under 1.400v.

Raja
Level 13
What PSU are you using?

-Raja

I am using an Antec HCP 1200W.