cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[R3E Black Edition] Unofficial Support Thread

RagingCain
Level 7
Just wondering why we were not receiving any support for the motherboard, so I started this thread.

The thread is for both:
ASUS Rampage III Extreme Black Edition + ASUS Thunderbolt

We have reported plenty of issues, we would love some info from others, and obviously responses with ASUS.
73 REPLIES 73

RagingCain
Level 7
Just a bump to see if there is any news.

I have a feeling something with Bios / Bclk is unstable.

I have 200 set in BIOS, its been running for a week. Leave computer off for two days, getting constant overclock has failed when starting it up today. I know I was stable, but I morbidly wanted to add voltage just to to see what it will take.

TurboV thinks its 301, everything else sees 133 MHz, BIOS says 200 MHz with all the correct frequencies and voltages, F10 save and boot, getting this constantly.

And only 6 threads, instead of 12. Really want some activity from ASUS HQ, like yesterday.

Edit:
Asus T3 Support as issued me an advanced RMA, stating that it is 90% likely just my board...

RagingCain wrote:
Asus T3 Support as issued me an advanced RMA, stating that is 90% likely just my board...

Most likely the best course of action at this time. If things are good with the replacement board you'll be all set. If not the board will be taken out of the equation and you can concentrate on other aspects of the configuration.

Praz wrote:
Most likely the best course of action at this time. If things are good with the replacement board you'll be all set. If not the board will be taken out of the equation and you can concentrate on other aspects of the configuration.

True, but with the exception of random component death, everything was functional on the old system. CPU / Memory is workable on the other board / computer. I even went a head and replaced my memory to match the QVL of this motherboard more closely. Issues persisted.

If it wasn't for excessive tweaking at essentially stock, I was still unstable.

Here is a another issue I have while playing around with the memory today. I am not crazy, BIOS is not "setting" settings all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OfnHVQz38I

Retired
Not applicable
Raging,

Not that I'm going to be of much help, but wanted to let you know that I'm running @ 4.2 ghz on a i980x with 24gb of corsair vengeance with no problems at all with the 404 bios. Ram is at 1685mhz @ 1.5v, I'm not the biggest oc'er so I chose to go with
something modest for now. Like I said, not sure if that's any help to you.. my big issue got solved with the latest thunderbolt drivers, works great now.

RagingCain
Level 7
Its worth a try going back to stock, I mainly installed the beta/modded BIOS due to originally have 24GB and memory issues and wanted to see if adjusting tRL +2 would solve the issue. (Those settings are only available in that BIOS.)

Would you be willing to overclock your memory more just to test out somethings? I.e. Try getting it above 1700 MHz and describe what booting is like?

RagingCain
Level 7
It was worth a try, but no success, took me 2 hours to get the memory to post, it required me to activate QPI LLC. I thought I was stuck with an unbootable motherboard.

Once it was bootable I tried 3x4GB, 6x4GB, nothing worked well. Soon as I got above 1680ish, it would just not post.

Retired
Not applicable
Bottom-line is ... when is there going to be an update to BIOS 0404?

I have had problems with multiple USB 2.0 external drives messing up the boot order and bumping Drive C: off the list ... the BIOS simply doesn't want to save certain configurations ... doesn't happen with multiple USB 3.0 external drives but is certainly a problem with USB 2.0 drives ...

So ... when do we see a BIOS update for this 'top of the line' (and apparently unsupported) ASUS Mobo?

Darren Powell
Sydney Australia

Eagle_Hill
Level 8
The fifth massive issue is the fact that the ASUS Thunderbolt addon card has a driver that constantly crashes in Windows 7 (x64) and we have posted numerous times in the forums about losing audio, music players crashing, videos crashing, and video games crashing.

Like RagingCain, I have had the same problems with my build. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work.

KidKB
Level 7
I cannot get this board to recognize 24GB of Hyper X BE memory, I'm simply trying to get it at the advertised 1600mhz. It shows two DIMM slots completely empty, although all six slots are full. I swapped the "suspect" sticks around to different random slots and still get a corresponding DIMM channel showing blank so I don't believe it has anything to do with the RAM itself. This on completely stock BIOS settings, not trying to OC or anything.