cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[R3E Black Edition] Unofficial Support Thread

RagingCain
Level 7
Just wondering why we were not receiving any support for the motherboard, so I started this thread.

The thread is for both:
ASUS Rampage III Extreme Black Edition + ASUS Thunderbolt

We have reported plenty of issues, we would love some info from others, and obviously responses with ASUS.
73 REPLIES 73

Raja
Level 13
RagingCain wrote:
Just wondering why we are not receiving any support for the motherboard.

[ASUS Rampage III Extreme Black Edition] + [ASUS Thunderbolt]

We have reported plenty of issues, we would love some info.

Hi,

Can you provide me with a list of issues please?

The basic BIOS of the R3E BE uses the same code and fixes that have already been rolled out for the R3E model. That's why there have been fewer total BIOS releases from the Black Edition - because most of the issues had already been addressed on the standard board.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Hi,

Can you provide me with a list of issues please?

The basic BIOS of the R3E BE uses the same code and fixes that have already been rolled out for the R3E model. That's why there have been fewer total BIOS releases from the Black Edition - because most of the issues had already been addressed on the standard board.

-Raja

Okay their are quite a few of them, and I will do my best, once again, to post them all.

There are five main bugs I have discovered personally, and two feature requests which should not have had to been made:

One is the Bclck has random spikings between 3 MHz - 10 MHz, while at full load and sometimes while idle. At first I thought it was the multiplier fluctuating up and down by 0.5x but using PC Probe II / ASUS Suite II, I narrowed it down to Bclk fluctuation.

Example Image:

Image Link: http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4392/strangebclckspike10mhz.png

This isn't much of a problem at stock or even with a slight overclock, but if you are going for a higher overclock:

i7 980x Example:
4.123 GHz (a modest overclock)
133 MHz Bclk x 31 Multiplier

When you begin to stability test, or even just run applications, you can run into situations where the spike makes you unstable even at a modest load.

So:
133 MHz spikes to 143 MHz but the Multiplier doesn't change so its 31, which now makes your CPU core frequency hit 4.433 GHz. Which requires a substantial bit more of CPU vCore voltage to stabilize. The above image illustrates it best, and there have been numerous tweaks and tested BIOS settings to get rid of this, and none of the current settings in BIOS will fix it.

The next big bug/issue, is this board did not like to post with 24GB+ of RAM at speeds greater than 1600~1615 MHz. It will post, but it would post with DIMMS showing as blank or empty. When enabling the "RAM Not Found" option in BIOS, it will eventually post with the correct voltages, manually adjusted timings, and the correct speed... after the 5th or 6th reboot. Thats just weird. There is no issue at 1600 MHz. I understand it can also go down to RAM compatibility, but I experienced the exact same issue with Kingston HyperX T1 line, which is supported by this motherboard. 24GB @ 1600 MHz, not a single hiccup when booting up, began ocing it over 1623 MHz, and the computer would begin seeing 12 GB or 16GB of RAM, and random DIMM slots would seem unpopulated. I would also add, that when I did manage to get all 24GB of memory recognized in all six slots, and at the correct speed, and timings, I was never able to stabilize with Prime95 or IBT. The memory was carried over from my EVGA E770 Classified board, where it had past Memtest86+ at rated speed, for over 12 hours, and Prime95 stable @ 2000 MHz for 24 hours (all using the same CPU / IMC.) This lead me to conclude that perhaps there is some instability in fully populated DIMM slots running at rated speeds above IMC. Have no issue running 3 slots at any speed.

Issue number three involves the use of a RevoDrive X2. Utilizing a RevoDrive X2 as a boot drive, I am unable to use ICH10R chipsets ability to RAID. If I enable RAID in BIOS for the SATA ports, it disables my ability to boot from the RevoDrive X2. I had no issue on my EVGA E770 Classified booting with both RAID enabled and the RevoDriveX2 as my boot drive. There was also no issue on my GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 platform for booting with this configuration, although I never tried it on my Crosshair IV Extreme, so I don't know if this is an ASUS motherboard limitation, or an actual bug.

The fourth main issue, is if using a few hard drives and switching the HDD Order, not the Boot Up Order, but the HDD Ordering for Boot Up (which is a separate menu), you can get to the point where you discover a memory leak, and are unable to make anymore changes, and the BIOS will not save the correct boot order any more. It looks like instead of making changes to a list of (for example) 7 hard disk drives installed into your system, it appends to the end of the list.

For example, if you had the following boot order:
HDD0
HDD1
HDD4
HDD5
HDD6
HDD2
HDD3

And wanted to change to Number 4 is first:
HDD4
HDD0
HDD1
HDD5
HDD6
HDD2
HDD3

What it appears to do in memory is this (create a new list and set the boot point a new):
HDD0
HDD1
HDD4
HDD5
HDD6
HDD2
HDD3
Start Point points to here now: HDD4
HDD0
HDD1
HDD5
HDD6
HDD2
HDD3

Everything above the new Start Point is invisible to the USER, but its still being stored in BIOS memory. Unfortunately once you have triggered the glitch to appear, i.e. can no longer save your boot order, you have to clear CMOS. You can't reload profiles (it saves the glitch to the profile) so they have to be deleted. The reason I know it saves the Previous list, is if you continue to use +/- option, you will traverse your old list and watch the old list re-appear if you continue to use move up and move down options.

Currently the only way to avoid the glitch is to change HDD boot order as little as humanly possible.

The fifth massive issue is the fact that the ASUS Thunderbolt addon card has a driver that constantly crashes in Windows 7 (x64) and we have posted numerous times in the forums about losing audio, music players crashing, videos crashing, and video games crashing. I even posted a dump of the entire driver crashing and my Windows log with an AIDA read out which you can find in this ASUS Support thread:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110517103025753&board_id=1&model=Rampage+III+Black+Edition&...

The Thunderbolt is currently useless except as just a Network Interface Controller.

Lastly are two feature requests which we should not have had to ask:
We have no ability to utilize RAID on the Marvel 9182 controller, which is bizzare since this controller actually has the ability to utilize real SATA6Gb/s speeds.

We don't have access to the NB/SB/VRM temperatures in ASUS Suite, PC-Probe II, HW Monitor, Open HW Monitor, or a few other applications. Someone said you can see it in AIDA64, but I have learned in the past that sometimes these applications guess which temperature is which. Since we can't see these temps in BIOS, there is no way to correlate which temperature any of these programs are actually seeing is correct. This is very silly for this high end of board, or any benching x58 board period.

Raja
Level 13
Ok let's go through these one by one:

1) How many software tools are you openeing at once to see these "spikes"? Using more than one software tool to poll the SMBUS or Super IO will cause misreads - there is no "real" BCLK spike, ignore what software tells you.

2) The memory issue could be down to to things:

A) the VTT you are reading on both boards is different to what is set. EVGA set the high side power plane voltage higher so that the socket side VTT is what you set in BIOS. The R3E does not do that, I measured socket side VTT to be up to 0.1V lower than what is set in BIOS without VTT LLC enabled.

B) You may need to fiddle with the tRL settings to get all the DIMMs mapped over a certain frequency - I know the eVGA boards well, have them all here and this is pretty much what they did on that board too. I think the tRL containing beta BIOS is here:

http://www.freefilehosting.net/rampageiii-black-edition-asus-0001

3) I think that might come down to AMI BIOS limitiations. The Classified uses Award BIOS AFAIK. Will have to ask HQ

4) I will have to report this to HQ and see what they say.

5) That too will have to go to HQ.

6) Not enough BIOS space for that until Marvell give us a ROM that can fit - we have been waiting and have had nothing back from them.

7) AFAIK HWmonitor32 etc was patched to monitor all temp probes on the BE. The probes won't lie to you, what you see is what the probes read and that should be accurate.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Ok let's go through these one by one:

1) How many software tools are you openeing at once to see these "spikes"? Using more than one software tool to poll the SMBUS or Super IO will cause misreads - there is no "real" BCLK spike, ignore what software tells you.

I do have quite a few open with the image, but I have seen the issue with just Suite II open. I have also brought up the suggestion that Suite II is indeed bugged, and if you follow towards the bottom of the first post I have on Overclock.net, I find massive DPC latency spikes all triggered by Suite II.

The thread is at overclock.net:
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/1048655-i7-980x-24gb-overclocking-fun-data.html#post13964593

The issue with what you are saying is indeed a possibility, but the only application that polls the Bclk is CPU-z, the rest only poll at start up, and are static after that and calculate CPU frequencies based on formula (Bclk * Multiplier). At first I anticipated it may be just Suite II, but upon countless hours of testing, I could see a "fake spike" just as Prime95 would fail on a core (which was a different core every time) and usually on Small FFTs.

The only program that picks up the "fake spike" is Suite II or PC-Probe/Sensor software it uses. I still must ask that you guys check into that, I am sure you guys are infinitely more capable than I. I am just a lowly student.

2) The memory issue could be down to to things:

A) the VTT you are reading on both boards is different to what is set. EVGA set the high side power plane voltage higher so that the socket side VTT is what you set in BIOS. The R3E does not do that, I measured socket side VTT to be up to 0.1V lower than what is set in BIOS without VTT LLC enabled.

B) You may need to fiddle with the tRL settings to get all the DIMMs mapped over a certain frequency - I know the eVGA boards well, have them all here and this is pretty much what they did on that board too. I think the tRL containing beta BIOS is here:

http://www.freefilehosting.net/rampageiii-black-edition-asus-0001

I appreciate you posting the beta BIOS, I am using (perhaps the sameone) that Shamino released on KingPin Cooling. I tried addjusting the tRL to match the settings it took on the EVGA board to absolutely no avail. I never could get the memory stable. I eventually did decide to purchase a second set of 24GB Kingston HyperX T1 Series, and all though I got the Black edition to match the board, I was aware they are not on the QVL so I purchased a slower speed this time of 1600 MHz, at least it would be stable. I am not going to lie and tell you have I fully re-tested every possible setting, but I immediately noticed at setting the memory 24GB @ 1600 to 1623 MHz, I was down to 12 GB of RAM available on 3 random DIMMs (i.e. 3 random DIMM slots were populated on boot up.)

As far as getting the original RAM to work, I tried all the settings tRL and VTT (QPI/DRAM Controller Voltage), I tried everything that was safe, and then some. For a Gulftown, with 24GB and loose timings, all at 1000 MHz on RAM, 3000 MHz on Uncore, and 3200 MHz on QPI Frequency, I tried from 1.300v to 1.450v for stability. Never achieved it. The highest I could go was 1600 MHz. I went from 24 Hours Stable in Prime95 @ 1600 MHz, to failing in minutes 16~32 MHz higher. Eventually I was pumping in so much voltage I could get it to boot with 24GB and 1750~ MHz effective frequency, but I couldn't enter Windows without a BSOD. Not at least till I enabled the "RAM Re-check" feature then it would reboot 3 to 6 times, post with the correct speeds, room to overclock, I just could never achieve Prime95 stability for more than 3 hours. Decided to re-test with more compatible RAM and thats where I am at now.

I also have to ask that if your Recheck for Missing RAM is Enabled that you guys work out a way to make sure it doesn't reboot more than 2 or 3 times consecutively, some of us are on water cooling, and I don't want my mechanical water pumps switching on and off that much in a very short period.

3) I think that might come down to AMI BIOS limitiations. The Classified uses Award BIOS AFAIK. Will have to ask HQ

That would make sense, I really don't follow the different BIOS technologies that much, they all look the same to me after 15 years of dealing with them 😉

4) I will have to report this to HQ and see what they say.

5) That too will have to go to HQ.

6) Not enough BIOS space for that until Marvell give us a ROM that can fit - we have been waiting and have had nothing back from them.

I really appreciate it, this isn't just on my behalf but at least a dozen of us who are feeling.... not so happy.

7) AFAIK HWmonitor32 etc was patched to monitor all temp probes on the BE. The probes won't lie to you, what you see is what the probes read and that should be accurate.

-Raja

I will check out HWMonitor32, I appreciate the tip.

Thank you for everything Raja.

RagingCain wrote:
I do have quite a few open with the image, but I have seen the issue with just Suite II open. I have also brought up the suggestion that Suite II is indeed bugged, and if you follow towards the bottom of the first post I have on Overclock.net, I find massive DPC latency spikes all triggered by Suite II.

I have the R3F so I cant guarantee what worked for me will also work for you But, I had the same problem with latency spikes until I went into the AI Suite II Settings/application tab and disabled (unchecked) every thing except "Turbo EVO" under tools and "CPU Frequency" under Monitor (I left update checked as well).

While it's true I have lost some functionality I can now use Turbo EVO without those huge latency spikes. For added stability and ease of use I keep the program pinned to my taskbar and completely exit out of it after adjusting any settings.
Asus Rampage III Formula / Intel Core i7-980X / CORSAIR Hydro H70 CPU Cooler / 24GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR DDR3 1600 / Asus OC station / 2 X Radeon HD 6870 in CrossFire / 2 X Corsair Force 120GB Solid State Drives in raid 0 / 4 X SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 2TB 5400 RPM in raid 5 / ASUS Blu-ray Burner / ASUS 24X DVD Burner / CORSAIR 1000W Modular PSU / Corsair Obsidian 800D ATX Case / 3 X Asus VE248H Black 24" LCD Monitors for Eyefinity

Raja
Level 13
No problem.

Might be an idea to type out a BIOS profile on the DRAM stuff - I can possibly make some suggestions that will help. I know it's quite an lengthy BIOS, but I suspect some timings need relaxing as well as some other settings...

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
Hi Raja , hoping the other problems will be solved as soon as is possible , i can't understand , regarding point number 7 , why we should use a third part software in order to read sb , nb and vrt temperatures. I think , like many others , if BE is an improvement of R3E , it should have been more complete also in it's own software . Remebering all nb and sb heating problems of R3E , we would like to see all the improvements in heatsink system ,monitoring everything by Ai Suite 2.

gattopallina wrote:
Hi Raja , hoping the other problems will be solved as soon as is possible , i can't understand , regarding point number 7 , why we should use a third part software in order to read sb , nb and vrt temperatures. I think , like many others , if BE is an improvement of R3E , it should have been more complete also in it's own software . Remebering all nb and sb heating problems of R3E , we would like to see all the improvements in heatsink system ,monitoring everything by Ai Suite 2.

The third party software is accurate AFAIK so use that for now. I do not know when/if the temp monitoring will be added, but in the meantime you are not stranded high and dry.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
No problem.

Might be an idea to type out a BIOS profile on the DRAM stuff - I can possibly make some suggestions that will help. I know it's quite an lengthy BIOS, but I suspect some timings need relaxing as well as some other settings...

-Raja

I may just do that, but in the mean time, I am definitely not used to these QPI Tuning / Bclk Enhance settings, so I don't really know what all these Settings mean when we are using the terms Normal, Weak, Typical Sweet Spot, or Sweet Spot +1.

We may even be able to do more trouble shooting with the break down of what they do, and when you would adjust these ASUS settings.

I have good OC troubleshooting skills, but I tend not to use what I don't know about.

I will break down RAM profiles when I finish a benchmarking tournament of 590s v 6990s.