Case: Rosewill Thor V2
MB: Asus Maximus VI Formula
CPU: Intel i7-4770-K
Video Card: XFX|R9-290A-EDBD R9 290 4GD5 R
PS: Rosewill Lightening-800 RT
Mem: 8Gx4|GSKILL F3-2400C10Q-32GTX R
HDD1: SSD 500G|SAMSUNG MZ-7TE500BW R
HDD2: HDD 4T|WD WD4003FZEX R
ODD1: LG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo Drive Model UH12NS29

I am having issues, and so far nobody seems to be able to help, I'll try asking in a different manner.

My HDD activity LED is lit constantly, and I have q code A0 displayed constantly. I have been focused on my SSD because this is the first one I've had and am not familiar with how they behave. Last night I noticed the WD data drive is hotter than hell, the hottest thing in the box. This isn't normal and can't be good...I don't know what's happening and I need help.

I have Windows 7 x 64 installed, set in AHCI mode. In windows explorer, I can see and access all of the drives.

Clueless in Oklahoma! HELP
11 REPLIES 11

karl_azytzeen
Level 7
Im building my computer and in first test im getting things similar to you, im tunned in what xperts say.

If i found something i will post

Good luck
i7 4770k delidded | Maximus VI Formula | 2x8Gb Gskill 2400 | HD4890 CF | NZXT 820

Praz
Level 13
Hello

A0 - Booted into the operating system from a cold boot or restart.
30 - Booted into the operating system from S3 suspend.
40 - Booted into the operating system from S4 suspend.

Once booted into the operating system A0 does not indicate an error.

jab383
Level 13
Q code A0 is a good thing. Constant HDD activity and a hot drive - not so much.

Windows 7 (don't know about win8) has a limit of 2TB HDD and you list a 4TB device. Have you installed any utility that accommodates the larger HDD? I would expect WD to have such a program available.

Jeff

jab383 wrote:
Q code A0 is a good thing. Constant HDD activity and a hot drive - not so much.

Windows 7 (don't know about win8) has a limit of 2TB HDD and you list a 4TB device.

Hello

This is valid only when the drive is formatted as MBR. If GPT formatting is used Win7 supports up to 9.4 zettabytes.

Not quite right nor wrong it's all about it being a 32bit OS or 64bit OS and the MBR (Master Boot Record) vs GPT (GUID Partition Table) on wether you brake 4Tib. But yes MBR is limited to 2TiB. The organization of the partition table in the MBR limits the maximum addressable storage space of a partitioned disk to 2 TiB (232 × 512 bytes). For GPT disks with 512‑byte sectors, the maximum size is 8 ZiB (264 × 512‑bytes) or 9.44 ZB (9.44 × 10²¹ bytes). For disks with 4,096‑byte sectors the maximum size is 64 ZiB (264 × 4,096‑bytes) or 75.6 ZB (75.6 × 10²¹ bytes). As for OS's 

• 32-bit OS's have 4 GB addressable space.
  • 64-bit OS's have 16 exabytes addressable space.
  • 32-bit systems limited to 3.2 GB of RAM
  • 64-bit systems limited to 17 Billion GB of RAM

Incorrect it has nothing to do with is version. All OS's will be limited to 2tb IF it's a 32bit OS vs a 64bit OS. Even Windows 11 32 bit (if it exists)

@Andathar wrote:

Incorrect it has nothing to do with is version. All OS's will be limited to 2tb IF it's a 32bit OS vs a 64bit OS. Even Windows 11 32 bit (if it exists)

No, the 2TB drive size limit is not due to 32-bit vs 64-bit OS.  It's a limit of the MBR partition table (and the FAT32 filesystem), which has long been solved by GPT and modern filesystems (or previously by LVM / Veritas Volume Manager).  Modern IDE/ATA drives use LBA48 addressing, which is 48-bit addresses to blocks.  Originally, blocks were 512 bytes, so a theoretical limit of 128 petabytes per drive.  Drive vendors and operating systems are moving towards 4096 bytes blocks, raising that limit to 1 exabyte per drive.  MBR is limited 512 byte block drives to 2TB due to having 32 bit block addresses in the partition table, and GPT has raised that limit to 18 exabytes.  NTFS used to be limited to 256TB, but more recent versions of Windows raised that to 8 petabytes, and ReFS (the replacement for NTFS on large volumes) has a limit of 35 exabytes.

There should be no issues running currently available drive sizes on 32 bit Windows, although 32 bit is rapidly approaching end of support life so I'd strongly advise using a 64 bit system for large scale data storage.  Even large RAID arrays which present many drives as one should be fine.  Functionally, there is no drive or filesystem size limit today, unless you have server infrastructure which rivals companies like Facebook and Google.

Sorry the website freaked out on my phone whilst replying and I wasn't able to fix you are correct you can see my reply to Praz as to what it was supposed to be

COLDSTATIC
Level 8
imo hot mechanical drives is pretty standard. any drive 7200 rpm and above are almost not able to be touched due to heat after only a few min of data transfer. heck my original raptor 10000 rpm was like 110-120 degrees fahrenheit. fyi limit was 55 celsius 55=131F and i has 2 hd bay fans on it.
4770k | Asus Hero | G.Skill Trident 2400 32gb | Samsung 840 pro 256gb
NZXT Kraken x60 | Asus GTX780 Direct CU ii OC | Razer tiamat 7.1
Razer Imperator | Razer Nostromo | Antec High current pro 850
Thermaltake Xaser Vi | Windows 8.1 64bit