Level 7
System:
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU: Intel I7-5960X
GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX-980 TI - 6GB RAM
64GB Asus Dominator DDR4 RAM
1000W EVGA G2 PSU
OS on 250GB SSD, several other SSDs and HDDs connected

I've recently experienced several issues with my GPU, including one or the other monitor briefly losing signal, issues with monitoring GPU usage, and inability to install the latest drivers. However, the GPU works okay with older drivers. I went into device manager and uninstalled the GPU. Then I decided to update the BIOS in my system to the latest BIOS, version 3701, from version 3505. I installed the update in the BIOS menu. The BIOS successfully installed; however, after restarting the computer, I received Q-Code 95. The system hangs on Code 95 with the VGA LED lit up for 10-20 seconds and then either restarts or shuts down. I looked in the manual and Q-Code 95 represents, "PCI Bus Request Resources". I searched for a long time online but didn't find anything useful.

I used the BIOS flashback option which fixed the issue for one boot. Using BIOS version 3505 I was able to boot into the BIOS menu but not into the system. But after I restarted, I kept receiving the Code 95. I tried using the BIOS Flashback feature to install the latest BIOS, 3701, as well as version 3505 and 3402, but the system still hangs on Q-Code 95 with the VGA LED on.

To troubleshoot, I also removed the GPU and tried to boot without it. I seated the GPU in different PCI-E slots. I unplugged all of my hard drives. I also cleared CMOS by moving the pins and by removing the battery. Each time I get the Code 95.

Is there any way to fix this issue? Do I need a new motherboard? I bought this motherboard about a year and a half ago and I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Thank you for your help.
3 REPLIES 3

extreme
Level 7
try another gpu go into bios set all default and see if boots to windows. if still hangs it might be mobo. so it may be pci slot or you have to reseat the cpu to try.

Chino
Level 15
Test your GPU on another motherboard or test your motherboard with another GPU. That'll tell you which component is the culprit.

Boofster
Level 7
In case anyone comes back to this years from now, the error 95 ended up being a dead CPU.

Check your local OfferUp or Craigslist for a quick, cheap replacement or grab a new one from Amazon and maybe even upgrade to 6900K.