cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper way to clear cmos?

Retired
Not applicable
Hey all,

I recently upgraded on my older MIIIF from an i5 760 to an i7 870, when searching random forums I looked for what I should do to set it up properly. I should also add it was a bit of a system overhaul as I also upgraded to bigger power supply, higher speed RAM and different graphics cards. A general concensus is to clear the cmos, I know theres a button on the back but I'm not sure if the system should be powered down, psu switch in on or off position as well? Should I switch the jumper to clear? Sorry I've never done anything with cmos, if overclocks weren't working I simply loaded defaults in the bios setup. I will also be doing a fresh install of Win7 so theres no reason to have to try to save files, programs, etc. I looked around under search options but theres just a general clear cmos, not really a step by step for a dummy like me. Thanks for helping me out, it's greatly appreciated
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
It should be as simple as simply holding the button for a few seconds to allow discharge and wipe of the info stored there. I know that people recommend all sorts of contortions but that's all you're really doing. If you want to make sure that it worked just change something from default in the BIOS before you reset and you should be able to see it go back to default afterward.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
This should be done with the computer off though correct? i.e. not running or powered up? Thank you for the reply

xeromist
Yes, power down.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…