cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with well everything

Retired
Not applicable
Hello all,

I'm new here and i have a couple of questions regarding how to setup my computer. I am currently using a Crosshair V motherboard (2nd one, the first one got RMA) with a Fx 8150, 16GB ram Corsair 1866 and a GTX 590. My problems are the following:
First of all i managed to get the memories working with XMP in bios if it matters at all.
I cannot overclock my processor with overdrive, if i try to boost the voltage or clock AT ALL it just sends all cores to 3.0GHZ and stays there.
2nd turbo core is not working (enabled in BIOS), all cores stay at 3.6GHZ and that is the end of it (even if i run superpi on one core, all of them go to 3.6 from 1.4Ghz and they stay there).
3rd problem serious incompatibilities with GTX 590, the first board i got did not want to recognize it at atll, all i saw were two gtx590 disabled in control pannel with the message that "the deivce reported a problem and has been disabled", this one runs better BUT the driver crashes at 20odd minutes intervals, sometimes it recovers, othertimes i have to restart. THIS is 100% not a driver issue because i tested 10+ nvidia WHQL drivers and they all do the same thing, sometimes after a restart i get the message that "the device reported a problem and has been disabled" in control pannel and i am stuck with a VGA resolution just like with the previous board. The GTX 590 works OK and i have extensively tested it in two other computers and before i got RMA the guys at the shop where i bought it tested the board with a GTX 260-worked, GTX 460-worked, my Gainward GTX 590-problems and an ASUS 590 (stock not the ROG edition)-same problems

Note that i have fiddled with most of the settings available in BIOS, somethimes through AI suite II, othertimes i tried setting them in BIOS manually and the same problem occurs over and over again. Even IF i manage to get the processor above 4GHZ using AI suite it is still useless because if any kind of load come to one core it DROPS TO 800MHZ.

Whatever information is required i will provide it, just please help because i kinda invested a lot in this computer and it is getting on my nerves!

PS- i bought the board a while ago and tried every bios versiona available when i was running a X6 1090T, afterwards when i got the FX i tries versios 7 8 and now i am running 0903 (tried 0905 as well, did not work)

Thank you for helping me
15 REPLIES 15

Retired
Not applicable
Just curios if you have digital volt meter and have tested the voltages on your power supply lines as it is under load?

TechJackass88
Level 7
Damn, that's expensive door stop. ok, first of all, CHECK YOUR MEMORY!!! 95% of the time it's the ram that screwing you over, CHV does not like anything higher than 1600 with untested configuration, drop ram freq down, and jack CPUNB up to 2600 or more, I haven't tested FX chips yet, but should take it just fine, NEVER use onboard tuning options, this baby needs special care, and by that I mean you're in for long and painful trial and error kinda thing. look up your chips manufacturers rated voltages, and stay within 5-10% of them to begin with, try ajusting CPU ratio multiplier instead of BUS Freq. disable any turbo core crap and smart power features you can find in bios, you here not to save power mate, just ignore any green thing it could have, and I'm not sure if your ram is ECC, so verify and disable if not. regarding your video card, it might be the bus that screwing with you, again, disable any smart feature your board has, and BURN it in Prime95 for a few (hope you have good cooler)
check your PSU, might not be enough juice, but from my experience, there's virtually no way your rig could suck more than 500 w. if your PSU rated 700 w or more you're in clear.
if you could provide full part list here, would be exelent.
My ROG: MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula | CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition (O/C 4.125 GHz) | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x4 GB (PC12800 842 MHz) | PSU: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Bronse
GPU: 2xEVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB VRAM | Primary HDD: Samsung 470S 128 GB SSD | Secondary HDD's: 3x WD Caviar Green 2TB Non Raid | ODD: Samsung BD-R/DVD-RW
Cooling: CPU: Corsair H5O with Push Pull Scythe Slipstream fans | Rest: GELID Ultra quiet closed loop fans. | Control: Zalman ZM-MFC2

NemesisChild
Level 12
We need to know the make & model of your PSU.
I agree with TechJ, you need a high quality PSU with plenty of amps on the +12v rail(s) to run a GTX 590.
My experience, never overclock any components via software that can be done in the bios.
Suggest that you attempt to get a stable system with only 2x4GB modules installed.
As running with all dimms populated (especially 16GB) puts alot of stress on the IMC.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild
Level 12
Also, I suggest disabling Turbo and a must if overclocking the CPU: disable both Spread Spectrum bios options.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2

TechJackass88
Level 7
Yup, exactly right, BIOS tuning only way, I was re reading my reply, and it was misleading, I meant, that use BIOS to tune it, and don't use any self tuning features, or anything that lets board control itself. not a good idea. besides, that's less fun anyway.
keep us posted on your progress, most of us here ended up just like you with big all FTW and questionmak on top of our heads. best of luck.
however, I must say, once I got to comfortable OC level in bios, afterwards I created couple profiles for higher level OC's so I not have to reset CMOS every time I screw up... just throwing a thought out...
My ROG: MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V Formula | CPU: AMD 1100T Black Edition (O/C 4.125 GHz) | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 4x4 GB (PC12800 842 MHz) | PSU: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Bronse
GPU: 2xEVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB VRAM | Primary HDD: Samsung 470S 128 GB SSD | Secondary HDD's: 3x WD Caviar Green 2TB Non Raid | ODD: Samsung BD-R/DVD-RW
Cooling: CPU: Corsair H5O with Push Pull Scythe Slipstream fans | Rest: GELID Ultra quiet closed loop fans. | Control: Zalman ZM-MFC2

Retired
Not applicable
Thank you for your relies. I have two PSUs (bridged, effectively working as one) one is corsair 650W and the other is enermax 750W, i do not believe that i have power related issues. I will try to fiddle more with the rams in bios and disable every tweak i can find. I had to do a little work on my computer and it was just going extremely slow. Now i found out why, uppon starting core temp i saw that no matter what i did all the cores are stuck at 1.4046GHz. I am going to do a BIOS flash with the same bios and retry to put all the settings in order. Also the driver crash issue on GTX 590 is more annoying than ever! I will diable more or less everything and i will post the results if i manage to get it to work OK.

zagman wrote:
Thank you for your relies. I have two PSUs (bridged, effectively working as one) one is corsair 650W and the other is enermax 750W, i do not believe that i have power related issues. I will try to fiddle more with the rams in bios and disable every tweak i can find. I had to do a little work on my computer and it was just going extremely slow. Now i found out why, uppon starting core temp i saw that no matter what i did all the cores are stuck at 1.4046GHz. I am going to do a BIOS flash with the same bios and retry to put all the settings in order. Also the driver crash issue on GTX 590 is more annoying than ever! I will diable more or less everything and i will post the results if i manage to get it to work OK.

Ooooh can you say linear phase mismatch. Especially without 2 identical PS units.
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

NemesisChild
Level 12
That's not the route to take in powering a GTX 590, highly recommend one, high quality 850W+ unit.

You need a min. 700W unit with +50 amps on the +12 rail:

• 700 watt or greater power supply with a
minimum of 50 amps on the +12 volt rail.
• PCI Express or PCI Express 2.0 compliant
motherboard with one x16 graphics slot.
• Two 8-pin PCI Express power connector or
four available 6-Pin power connectors.
• Microsoft® Windows 7 / Vista / XP
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2

Retired
Not applicable
@NemesisChild it kinda gets worse...i also have a GTX 480 PH dedicated....anyway thanks for the advice, uppon changing settings to manual i got a HUGE stability improvement, only thing still bugging me is the fact that i still have ocasional NV driver failures 😞 hope it will get better