i'm new here

i bought Maximus VI Hero about 2 weeks ago with the following components

Core i7 4770k
Kingston 4*8GB ddr3 1600
Intel 330 Series 180GB
Corsair H100i
Corsair 300R
Corsair GS800

since i did not need a GPU but needed multiple displays i plugged in my old 8600GTS into the PCi-E slot to plug a 2nd monitor in.
but when i have the GPU plugged in i cannot see the EFI screen properly. i only see a small portion of it, but its not really usable. The bios displays fine when i use the onboard HDMI port. but doesnt display properly when the display is plugged into the GPU.

at first i thought it was the GPU being really old. so i tried a 9800GT and a GTS450 and they had the same problem too.

i also updated my bios but the problem still persists.

i tried plugging 1 display at a time but that did not work either.
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
Is this before or after you install the VGA drivers? I must confess that I am a tad confused about what you can or can not see.

Do you have your IGP or the discreet VGA set as your primary video output.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

goofempire
Level 7
this happens in the bios which has nothing to do with the vga drivers but just to answer your question. this happened when i initially plugged the GPU into the PCI-E slot and continued to happen after installing the drivers from nvidia.com .

i can only see the ROG logo in the top left corner and i can see some text if i move left or right. but its not really usable.

when i set it to IGP as default i cannot see the BIOS unless i use the onboard hdmi port, it works perfectly when IGP is set as primary and the display is plugged into the onboard HDMI port. but when i set the pci-e gpu as primary it has the same display problems.

i'm using DVI-HDMI adapters on the 8600GTS/9800GT and using the hdmi port on the GTS450.

Praz
Level 13
Sounds like a resolution issue between the video card and display? What display are you using?

Praz wrote:
Sounds like a resolution issue between the video card and display? What display are you using?

Using a Dell S2409W and a Samsung S24B301 both of them have a native resolution of 1920x1080

Praz
Level 13
The UEFI is output at 1280x1024 resolution only. This is probably tripping up the handshaking between the video cards and monitors and resulting in the wrong resolution being displayed. Try an AMD video card if possible or use the iGPU as the primary display and set the video card initialization to iGPU first in the UEFI.