cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem booting Bulldozer in Crosshair V Solution

Retired
Not applicable
Hey, I just spent and hour messing with the motherboard because I couldn't get it to boot with a bulldozer FX 8150 chip in it. Well it turns out it was because I was using an Indigo Xtreme as my thermal interface. Before the reflow happens it doesnt transfer heat well at all. So when I was trying to boot it before the reflow it seemed like the board wasn't posting. What was happening was that even though all my motherboard thermal monitoring was turned off the processor turned off. Using regular thermal paste solved the problem.
10 REPLIES 10

xeromist
Interesting. I guess maybe the threshold for shutdown is too quick for IX.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

trailer_park_bo
Level 7
im very glad you solved that unusaul problem"wow"

Retired
Not applicable
I always use Arctic silver thermal paste (99% silver). I think its one of the best you can use.

Kipper
Level 10
IC Diamond is some good stuff but you dam near need a bulldozer to spread it, crap is dam near a sold. LOL

Kipper wrote:
IC Diamond is some good stuff but you dam near need a bulldozer to spread it, crap is dam near a sold. LOL

I used AS5 for the past 6 years until I decided to try a bunch of them on january. I tried 7 diferent of the most rated brands, and IC Diamond came out on top. The diference to AS5 is amazing.

having said that, the thing is hard as hardened cement! but I found a solution: heat up the siringe by dropping it on hot water and heat up the cpu and cpu-block surface with a airdryier. That will make the the IC diamond spread like butter.

FiNAS wrote:
I used AS5 for the past 6 years until I decided to try a bunch of them on january. I tried 7 diferent of the most rated brands, and IC Diamond came out on top. The diference to AS5 is amazing.

having said that, the thing is hard as hardened cement! but I found a solution: heat up the siringe by dropping it on hot water and heat up the cpu and cpu-block surface with a airdryier. That will make the the IC diamond spread like butter.

I will give the warm it up method a try, thanks

I have AS5, MX-2, MX-4, OCZ Freeze, samples from TT, CoolIt, CoolerMaster, and others and the IC Diamond continues to keep things cooler by 2-3° C.

i use ic diamond myself on all my high end builds it actually lowers my temps by an average of 3.1 to 3.31 degree's cooler than alt compounds on exact same configured build

NemesisChild
Level 12
OCZ Freeze for me, the best TIM that I have ever used.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I use Arctic Silver Ceramiq and never had any trouble but if you want a laugh and a good review of the thermal compounds look up the site Hardware Secrets they tested all of them and rated them and they did find Pink Lipstick worked very good but Chocolate preformed lousy....go figure...! They also have a great review of Power Supplies there which is another thing I suggest if you want to understand why some of the BSOD errors happen as well as components burn out faster than normal....I found that the Thermal Take PS's are so noisy on the outputs that they will cause BSOD's and possibly fry components...But the Antec's Earth Watt's are better than whats on the label...