cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Cycling / Sleep Issue

Mikey_G
Level 7
Hi all. Long time builder, first board was an ASUS P2B-LS with a Pentium II 350. So ...

Just upgraded to Haswell with a Maximus VI Hero. From first boot, the PC will have a "false start" quite often but haven't figured out the pattern of when this occurs because it doesn't happen all the time. By false start I mean it will spin up fans but not beep, then turn off and spin up again.

Once I got a full fresh install up and running, the computer will shutdown when waking from sleep. It goes to sleep, then I hit a key and it "false starts" THREE times. I think there are 2 false "wakes", then a shutdown, then a fresh boot that goes through ROG splash and I get the "windows did not shutdown properly" screen.

So I did another fresh install to see behavoir with only windows installed and "sleep" is greyed out. It won't go to sleep, only hibernate. I also can't setup intel rapid start - it says my machine doesn't meet the requirements. (not sure if I want rapid start, but perhaps this is related?)

So .... what are the power options in the Bios that I should check? Is it possible this is a hardware issue ? I haven't tried hooking up an old PSU to see if that is the culprit. Any ideas would be wonderful.

Maximus VI Hero
i7 4770K
32GB Corsair Dominator 1866
2 X 5830's
Corsair AX1200i PSU
12 REPLIES 12

Shamino
is the rig overclocked?

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
That's really unusual behavior for waking from sleep. Your false problem, sounds like the typical two power cycle a system goes through when it's been unplugged from the wall and then you turn it on, which is just your board training the RAM, checking CPU etc. As for the Rapid Boot...Hybrid Boot is what I think it is...you need to have installed Windows 8 in UEFI Mode for that to work, I think.

Mikey_G
Level 7
Issues same @ 3.5 GHz standard clock although I have had it OC'd with the standard "level up" options. I just tried an old power supply and have the same issues. But, it does "Resume Windows" and all windows persist through the ordeal just like it woke from sleep. The power cycling, beep, RAID screen, ROG splash, and "resuming windows" is definitely not a "resume" or even a quick boot.

D_V_D
Level 7
Maybe it helps if you deactivate hibernation if you have Hybrid Sleep ON (Windows 7 power options)...I "heard" this brings lots of problems and the most common are a slow boot up and slow shut down of your system..
I once had all 3(Sleep, Hybrid Sleep and Hibernation) ON and after my boot into Windows it would crash(nothing would respond,image would freeze) after a few minutes into whatever i was doing at the time...so i had to kill the power via PSU
MB = Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z info
CPU = AMD Fx-8350 Bios 2101info
RAM = Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2x8Gb) 2133 KHX21C11T3K2/16X info
GPU = Asus GTX 980 Matrix Platinum info
SSD = Kingston HyperX 3K 240Gb
HDD = WD 500Gb +WD 3x1TB(fzex)
PSU = Corsair AX760i info
CPU Cooler = Thermaltake Nic C4
Display = Sony KDL-32w706b info
Mouse = A4Tech Bloody Gun3 V7
Keyboard = SteelSeries APEX info

Kwami
Level 7
Hybrid sleep in Windows 7 works just fine on my MVIE. I do get the double boot problem when I perform a cold boot, though, and it's happened a few times with a reset. I'm not sure why.

Kwami wrote:
Hybrid sleep in Windows 7 works just fine on my MVIE. I do get the double boot problem when I perform a cold boot, though, and it's happened a few times with a reset. I'm not sure why.

try setting iod/ioa instead of auto if offset mode with c-states.
also very important to find the most stable vccin with loadline and the uncore that goes with it. take note sometimes more is worse and u might need a odd value like 1.83 for example.

i7 4790k@4.7ghz 1.28v||Asus Maximus VI Extreme||Zotac GTX Titan X Sli||Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 4x8gb 10-12-12-31-1T||Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb x 2 + Crucial MX100 512gb x 2||Creative Soundblaster Zx||WD Black 2tb & 2x1tb||Ek Supremacy Nickel Acetal+EK M6e Nickel Acetal+EK Titan X Nickel Acetal + Ek Red Backplate+Ek Dual D5 Top & 150 X3 Res+HWLABS GTX Nemesis 560+280+6xNoctua Redux 1500rpm||Corsair AX1200+Corsair Red Sleeves||Silverstone Temjin 11

cstkl1 wrote:
try setting iod/ioa instead of auto if offset mode with c-states.
also very important to find the most stable vccin with loadline and the uncore that goes with it. take note sometimes more is worse and u might need a odd value like 1.83 for example.

Heh. I get this problem without any frequency or voltage changes. It just seems to be a bug. Hopefully, they'll fix it in the next update.

Kwami wrote:
Heh. I get this problem without any frequency or voltage changes. It just seems to be a bug. Hopefully, they'll fix it in the next update.

Same here. On auto with offset i get loads of problems, when dial in everything. No issue.

i7 4790k@4.7ghz 1.28v||Asus Maximus VI Extreme||Zotac GTX Titan X Sli||Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz 4x8gb 10-12-12-31-1T||Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb x 2 + Crucial MX100 512gb x 2||Creative Soundblaster Zx||WD Black 2tb & 2x1tb||Ek Supremacy Nickel Acetal+EK M6e Nickel Acetal+EK Titan X Nickel Acetal + Ek Red Backplate+Ek Dual D5 Top & 150 X3 Res+HWLABS GTX Nemesis 560+280+6xNoctua Redux 1500rpm||Corsair AX1200+Corsair Red Sleeves||Silverstone Temjin 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sleep issues are related to memory most of the time. Not sure this is the case here. However it is easy to check. Run memtest86+ at your XMP profile setting use the guide in my sig to see how to set it al up.

Once you have two cycles passed then you can assume that memory is not the only cause.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.