cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post message 62

Smiki007
Level 10
Need help. My PC always freeze at first start and every restart from Windows, with post message code 62 (Installation of the PCH Runtime Service), and I always need to press hard reset to be able to boot. I have Rampage IV Extreme with the latest (4206) BIOS.

Always look beyond the limits...
20 REPLIES 20

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Smiki007 🙂

62 or b2...b2 would point to RAM training failure.....what exact RAM do you have on the board?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Could you please list your hardware.

And then please indicate what your memory OC is and if your CPU is OC, and if so how?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40

And then please indicate what your memory OC is and if your CPU is OC, and if so how?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi Smiki007 🙂

62 or b2...b2 would point to RAM training failure.....what exact RAM do you have on the board?

HiVizMan wrote:

HiVizMan wrote:

I have Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 64GB (8x8GB), NO OC (CPU, RAM). I have this HW for 6-8 months, was OK , then I've bought new case (Obsidian 900d) rebuild all PC on WC. Since then I have the start problem. Should I try to relocate the memory sticks and see if this solve the problem?
Thanks.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm if it worked once the likelyhood is it will work twice so yeah try and make sure the RAM is well seated...it is easy not to have the sticks properly seated in the RIVE.

Is that one single kit or two separate kits?

Have you cleared CMOS since rebuilding and set up the BIOS again...or tried pressing the OK button? have you set up XMP?

You say the PC is now water cooled...have you got a new block on the CPU. It is possible that the CPU is displaced a bit in the socket....maybe release block and carefully reseat CPU and then make sure the block is mounted with equal pressure all the way down.

Do you have the EZ plug plugged in for 64GB of RAM?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hmm if it worked once the likelyhood is it will work twice so yeah try and make sure the RAM is well seated...it is easy not to have the sticks properly seated in the RIVE. Revised and re seated. OK.

Is that one single kit or two separate kits? Two Separeted Kits (2x (4x8GB)), one kit in the A/B Slots and second in C/D slots.

Have you cleared CMOS since rebuilding and set up the BIOS again...or tried pressing the OK button? have you set up XMP? CMOS Cleared, OK Pressed, CMOS Battery out for 5 min, First on XMP (same post result), after Manual setup (same result).

You say the PC is now water cooled...have you got a new block on the CPU. It is possible that the CPU is displaced a bit in the socket....maybe release block and carefully reseat CPU and then make sure the block is mounted with equal pressure all the way down. Dismounted and Remounted again, everything OK, same post effects.

Do you have the EZ plug plugged in for 64GB of RAM? No EZ plugged

Now sometimes post sometimes not on first hard start, but none from Windows restart (Soft Restart). Freeze at b2 post code (User Manual Debug Code explanation said "b2(B2) = Legacy Option ROM Initialization" --- Have no clue what does it mean).

FireRx
Level 11
okay, that sounds like the memory, since there are 2 unmatched kits. hopefully you remember which dimm was with which kit so yo can test them out 2 at a time til you get a clean boot.

Usually you want to get a single Matched 32gb kit. Maybe someone that knows a workaround will chime in here with a fix.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

For 64gb you have to have the EZ plug connected for power, at a guess maybe why your having issues
Rampage iv Extreme.....3930 i7.....32gb Corsair Vengeance....Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme....Matrix HD 7970 x 2 in crossfire....Creative Fatality Champion Soundcard - With front drive bay....Themaltake Toughpower XT Gold 1475 watt power supply.....Samsung SSD 830 512gb...Samsung 1TB HD x 2....Samsung Blu Ray drive....Samsung DVD drive...Windows 7 Ultimate....Thermaltake Overseer RX-1 case

For Corsair Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 64gb you have to have the EZ plug connected for power, at a guess maybe why your having issues
Rampage iv Extreme.....3930 i7.....32gb Corsair Vengeance....Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme....Matrix HD 7970 x 2 in crossfire....Creative Fatality Champion Soundcard - With front drive bay....Themaltake Toughpower XT Gold 1475 watt power supply.....Samsung SSD 830 512gb...Samsung 1TB HD x 2....Samsung Blu Ray drive....Samsung DVD drive...Windows 7 Ultimate....Thermaltake Overseer RX-1 case