cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performace Problem

AfTaStEr
Level 7
hey guys was not sure what to call this one but here goes

now this performance problem only happens when open windows as stuff starts to flicker and to get it back to normal is to reboot the system and sometimes that does not help and the flickering continues
when the flickering is active in current windows session the cpu gets quite a performance hit noticeable in most cpu demanding games and even 3dmark

in 3dmark its east to see as the fps will be 27 i think might be less and then just drop to 8fps and go back up you can even see the test stop for a moment and then continue

have been looking into this little problem and cant seem to find a solution and i have no idea what is causing this , its quite annoying

my setup is

ASUS Crosshair V Formula
AMD FX 8150 @ 4.5Ghz
16GB Corsair Dominator Ram
Corsair H100i Watercooling Unit
ASUS R920 DCII
Razor Imperator Mouse
Razor Blackwidow Keyboard
Windows 10 Professional

any of you ever experianced a problem like this?
6 REPLIES 6

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi AfTaStEr 😄

Performance hits are generally due to 3 things. (barring hardware faults)
1. Power Plan settings.
Check your Power Plan in Windows. Open Control Panel> Power Options. Choose High Performance.

2. Throttling due to core temperature.
If this is the case, you need to conduct a stress test to determine if heat is the cause when under load. Have you OCed the system?

3. Bios settings.
You may have to Tweak your Bios.
Go here for a good read on how to OC your processor: http://rog.asus.com/5052012/overclocking/crosshair-v-formula-amd-fx-8150-cpu-overclocking-guide/
and here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

Please report back with results.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

AfTaStEr
Level 7
Good Morning

Yea the system is overclocked running @ 4.5Ghz now for 3 years about quite happy with the result

as for the core temp highest it goes is 55C on full load with AOD , Prime , Aida Stress Tests

Performance mode is on high performance

in the bios i have disabled all the power saving features that might cause the problem

the funny thing is once its starts to flicker this is noticeable once you open lets say teamspeak,origin or task manager you can see them flicker then and once this happens the cpu performance is hit , but once you reboot its fine so if you play games then it works fine
even tried this on stock speed with nothing overclocked as still does the same

not sure if it might be driver related

MeanMachine
Level 13
Only other thing I can think of is your PSU.
Check with HWMonitor the voltage on the 12v rail and other voltage variations when under load. Are they stable within acceptable limits?.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

AfTaStEr
Level 7
using a digital multi meter with system on full load it stays on 12.13V
and using the test points on board and gpu for voltages i don't see any abnormalities on load

have no idea what is causing this

as i said system is 100% until open windows starts to flicker and only then i get this problem other than that its working hundreds

MeanMachine
Level 13
Ok Its not the PSU. I have done a little research and reports indicate that you may be having issues with drivers or startup apps.

Check in Device Manager for any yellow triangles that would indicate an issue with any drivers.
Go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-10/troubleshoot-screen-flickering
and here: http://techdows.com/2015/08/fix-screen-flashing-issue-in-windows-10.html

I'm interested in how you resolve this.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

AfTaStEr
Level 7
makes two of us , now as for the incompatibility i have no idea to check what is the one causing the problem

now its the fun part of running programs to see what pops the flicker

i see icloud i listed as causing this , and i do have it installed will check to see if i get the problem if i remove the app