cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCIe ports/M.2 port lanes usage

White_Wind
Level 7
Hi I'm opening this thread to catch a bit more attention on my question, since the answer will make me buy a Z97 ASUS board or no board at all.

It may be a bit too early to be able to answer it, but I wonder if I could plan to use two M.2 PCIe 2.0 x2 SSD's set in Raid0.. one in the PCIe 2.0 x4 port ( through an adapter ) and the second one in the M.2 x2 port.

Now on the Gene/Hero product pages, here's what to be read : "The PCIe 2.0 x4 slot (PCIEX4_1) shares bandwith with mPCIe 2.0 x1 and M.2 slots. The default setting is in Auto mode that automatically optimizes the system bandwidth. If you install PCIe 2.0 x4 device, the system will automatically detect and disable mPCIe 2.0 x1 and M.2 slots."

So it mentions a "PCIe 2.0 x4 device", but what about PCIe 2.0 x2 devices ? I would have thought that since the two ports share bandwith, pluging a x2 device in the PCIe x4 port would allow for two lanes to be still available in the M.2 port...no?

Also what is that default Auto mode... would there be a manual mode to configure lane availability amongst ports ? THAT would be the sweetest thing

And if both ports were able to operate simultaneously at x2 speed each, by any means...would SLI x8 x8 still be available on the 3.0 ports ?
14 REPLIES 14

Grumpy OLD git wrote:
I run a plextor 256 m6e m.2 SSD, and in hind site , I would say I jumped to fast, yes it's nice and small, and a wee bit faster, but the z97 board is not great, in time I think we will see dual m.2 ports, running x4 lanes, then m2 will be worth it, for now, my advice is stay away from them, also there major compatibility issues, as example crucial m.2 does not work in Asus boards.

Playing with M2 cost me nearly £460, and the result are totally not worth it. Just like the new z97 board, I would say wait.

Hello

The 256GB M6e can be purchased here in the States for $230.00 which is not a bad price at all. As far as dual x4 M.2 ports that's not even feasible other than with the socket 2011 platform.

The £460 was not just for the plextor, I also bought the crucial one, prior on the shops recommendation, who of course would not accept it back.

As I said, I will upgrade when a new board comes. I don't know all the limitations with x4 and lanes, but I'm learning.

Plextor in the uk is approx 290 usd, and with the adapter card, 340 used.
486 Dx2 running dos 6.2 and Windows 3.1

Grumpy OLD git wrote:
I run a plextor 256 m6e m.2 SSD, and in hind site , I would say I jumped to fast, yes it's nice and small, and a wee bit faster, but the z97 board is not great, in time I think we will see dual m.2 ports, running x4 lanes, then m2 will be worth it, for now, my advice is stay away from them, also there major compatibility issues, as example crucial m.2 does not work in Asus boards.

Playing with M2 cost me nearly £460, and the result are totally not worth it. Just like the new z97 board, I would say wait.

I'm looking at getting the 128GB m6e. It's comparable in price to similarly sized upper-range SATA drives (e.g. the Samsung 840 Pro which I'd previously been looking at) when bought without the adapter, and seems to have good compatibility. I probably wouldn't bother if I didn't need a smaller case (and thus a new MB) and a larger SSD, but as I do it looks very tempting.

Grumpy_OLD_git
Level 7
I should have added, there are only two cases I like at the moment,

in win Tou or the harbinger, both crazy prices.

I was going to write off this Asus board, but there's nothing else just yet, so I will wait, and upgrade the case at the same time.

I don't drink or smoke, I'm just addicted to computers.
486 Dx2 running dos 6.2 and Windows 3.1

White_Wind
Level 7
Thanks for the feedback.. I'll just stick to my two 840 Pro's in Raid0 for my future ( first! ) build