cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI-E 8x instead of 16x

Intrepidone
Level 7
I have an interesting question that I just can't seem to find the answer to anywhere. I am currently running a Crosshair V, 8120, and a 6870 DD XFX card. In GPU-Z, CPU-Z, and Catalyst, my link width/bus interface is only at 8x. Also, when i go into bios my gpu info area also tells me that it's 8x native. I have tryed reseating and I DO have all updated bios's and drivers for both mb and gfx cards. I seriously can't find out why I can't get it to go to 16x. I do have my card in 16_1 right now. I was thinking about trying it in 16_3 but that would be so close to my psu that I don't really think that would be practical. The only right answer on this one would be to leave it in the slot it's in. If anyone...ANYONE can help with this, that would be great.

Extra info....everything plays fine. Just not sure why it would only run at 8x.

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2

jediknight16
Level 7
Hi, I have the same problem here with Maximus VI Hero and 980 Ti Strix.
No matter what I do, it won't work faster than 8x instead of 16x. I'm looing for help on the web, but didn't find solution yet.
Become a Star Citizen @RobertsSpaceInd and get 5,000 free Credits https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-F2YL-RSJJ

skellattarr
Level 10
Intrepidone wrote:
I have an interesting question that I just can't seem to find the answer to anywhere. I am currently running a Crosshair V, 8120, and a 6870 DD XFX card. In GPU-Z, CPU-Z, and Catalyst, my link width/bus interface is only at 8x. Also, when i go into bios my gpu info area also tells me that it's 8x native. I have tryed reseating and I DO have all updated bios's and drivers for both mb and gfx cards. I seriously can't find out why I can't get it to go to 16x. I do have my card in 16_1 right now. I was thinking about trying it in 16_3 but that would be so close to my psu that I don't really think that would be practical. The only right answer on this one would be to leave it in the slot it's in. If anyone...ANYONE can help with this, that would be great.

Extra info....everything plays fine. Just not sure why it would only run at 8x.

Thanks in advance.

do you have the crosshair v formula non z or the z board? i have the non z and the top pci-e slot is 16x were the nest full size slot down is 8x then the slot next down below the pci slot is 16x and the botom one is 4x. if you have a card in 8x slot then both cards will run at 8x.
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case