cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC restarting itself aautomatically on boot

Jonnyboy0022
Level 7
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping you can help me solve my problem because I don't know whether my motherboard is dying or whether it's a bug that I can't find. What's been going on is I was mucking around on the Gigabyte GPU overclocking tool that came with my GTX980 ti GPU and I defaulted the card to the OC setting and then pressed 'confirm', all of a sudden my computer started freezing so naturally I restarted my pc and then this is where the problem started.

It loads into BIOS but once everything has been initialised it continues to restart itself once it try's to load Windows 10 Pro and it'll constantly loop itself over and over again. I can 100% access BIOS, it'll read all devices, USB sticks etc... but it just won't load windows anymore and when I did a hard reset of the computer it continues to do it!

I've even tried clearing CMOS, restarting pc, removing the battery from motherboard, reinstalling the BIOS for the motherboard etc... So, as a last resort I even reinstalled Windows 10 Pro and it installed without an issue but it just won't boot into windows. Before this problem occurred all my hard drives were being read without issues and nothing had a problem. I've tried my GPU in another computer and it works perfectly fine, boots and everything but on my computer it'll post but won't boot or load windows, I even uninstalled windows again and installed Windows 8 and that didn't work either.

Just for reference my computer specs are the following:

i7 3960x @ 4.5ghz
16gb of ram at 2133mhz
GTX980 Ti
Asus Rampage 4 Extreme
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Corsair 1200i power supply
240gb SSD for boot drive
500gb drive +
750gb Storage drive

I'm completely out of ideas and I think my motherboard may be on the way out but obviously coming on here for some professional advice from the community here and hopefully we can figure and work this problem out. P.S It's been happening for almost 1 week..

Thank you guys!!!!
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi Jonnyboy0022

When you reinstalled windows did you have only the 240GB SSD connected ?

If not, disconnect all drives except that one, make sure it's recognized in the bios and try installing windows again. After the installation make sure it's set as the first boot device.

Or if you do a UEFI install make sure "windows boot manager" is set as the first boot device.

If that doesn't work, try installing windows on one of your other drives, only have one drive connected when installing windows.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Jonnyboy0022

When you reinstalled windows did you have only the 240GB SSD connected ?

If not, disconnect all drives except that one, make sure it's recognized in the bios and try installing windows again. After the installation make sure it's set as the first boot device.

Or if you do a UEFI install make sure "windows boot manager" is set as the first boot device.

If that doesn't work, try installing windows on one of your other drives, only have one drive connected when installing windows.

Hey Nate,

I did have the 240gb SSD installed when installing Windows 10 Pro. Ok, I'll reinstall windows once again and see if that fixes the problem.

haihane
Level 13
Nate is onto something here, i'm thinking is something in the CSM/UEFI settings too.

try his method. if it doesn't work, you can choose to install Windows 10 in Legacy mode (non Uefi), then convert it to UEFI boot with the tools provided by Windows 10 Creator's update.

steps:
1. Restore Default settings on bios, clear CMOS if you have to (just to doubly make sure).
2. Make sure the SATA mode is in AHCI mode. then save and restart.
3. go back to bios again, check the HDD BBS priority: boot drive first.
4. i personally like to follow this up with Boot override option to install windows. your preferences may differ and that's fine too.
5. Windows 10 installed in this mode will default to Legacy bios.

if you can boot up to Windows using this, then phew.

Final step:
Mbr2gpt tool. do what da video says.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane wrote:
Nate is onto something here, i'm thinking is something in the CSM/UEFI settings too.

try his method. if it doesn't work, you can choose to install Windows 10 in Legacy mode (non Uefi), then convert it to UEFI boot with the tools provided by Windows 10 Creator's update.

steps:
1. Restore Default settings on bios, clear CMOS if you have to (just to doubly make sure).
2. Make sure the SATA mode is in AHCI mode. then save and restart.
3. go back to bios again, check the HDD BBS priority: boot drive first.
4. i personally like to follow this up with Boot override option to install windows. your preferences may differ and that's fine too.
5. Windows 10 installed in this mode will default to Legacy bios.

if you can boot up to Windows using this, then phew.

Final step:
Mbr2gpt tool. do what da video says.

Hey Nate & Haihane,

I'm going to try and resolve this issue with the advice that you gave me and then let you guys know if it works or not but if by any chance that it doesn't work; is there anything else you can recommend me trying?

haihane
Level 13
we're hoping that there's nothing wrong with your motherboard nor your default settings, and to do that, legacy install (sata: AHCI mode) should be the most compatible form.

i'm crossing my fingers on that one. nate's advice to only connect the boot drive makes sense too (simplifies troubleshooting). if the SSD still doesn't work, try another (and with that, you can start singling out problematic parts with the process of elimination). or at least that's what i thought he might be wanting to do.

UEFI booting and installing can be rather tricky for those not used to it. one wrong bios settings and the system just won't boot. i've been there, done that. happens to the best of us.

imagine, i was trying to break my UEFI Raid 1 array the other day, and wondering to myself why the hell the raid bios won't show up despite me trying Ctrl + (i forgot the keypresses again damn it, too lazy to re-google again). then AFTERWARDS only realizing that to break my own raid1 array; in preparation to upgrade/ clone my boot drive into a(n) ssd, i had to set the sata mode back to AHCI, save and exit, go back to bios, recheck everything, forgot to disable fullscreen logo (disables it), save exit, hit the key combination like mad, then finally into bios RAID setup...
a few moments later,

(this time it should all be correct)
back to bios, set it back to raid, CSM, check, secure boot, check, save and exit.
Fingers crossed.
HOLY ****! finally.
(and prior to that i still backed my boot drive up, just in case i screwed up)

i won't bore you with the details. but just know that, one wrong settings, and windows outright refused to boot.

meh, sorry, i went off on a slight rant there. do tell if you can boot into bios using legacy install option.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Mack023
Level 9

I have solved my issue by cleaning boot your computer

What do you mean @Mack023 ? Is your answer related to this post? If so can you please explain how you fixed it? @Jonnyboy0022 did you manage to fix your computer? I have the exact same issue it sounds like, and all I did was move my motherboard, with CPU, memory and watercooler to another cabinet with another HD. I can only boot to the windows logo then it reboots. I have tried "everything" myselves. No luck here sofar.