cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overclocking failed on deluxe ii

mjohnson24
Level 9
i have the Asus x99 Deluxe ii Mobo, (4) 16gb sticks of Gskill Trident Z 3200mhz ram, Evga 1200w P2 PSU, Intel i7 6900k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0, Samsung EVO 950 Pro M.2. I have recently just last night updated the PSU from an 850 watt to an EVGA 1200w P2. This one has the ability to use the 8 pin power and 4 pin power as the previous PSU didnt. Now that i got it all installed last night, for somereason when i booted it only said i had 32gbs of ram when i actually had 64. Got that to read correctly now but my ram is the 3200mhz ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232328 ). Its on the QVL list for Asus so thats good. I think it has something to do with something being overclocked or something but i dont know what. it worked fine before with my 850watt.

I have XMP switch turned on on the Mobo and in the bios i think i switched it to auto or something to get it to actually boot normally. But bios reads it as 2133 not 3200 like it should i think.

Now i also have the Corsair h100i gtx cpu cooler and when i booted my PC it said something about fan speed to low or check fan speed so to fix that i had to go to bios and go to monitor tab and set "CPU Fan Speed" to ignore so i wouldnt get that error and it would boot as well.

Can someone help me with steps to what i need to do to fix these issues. Also if you know of any bios changes that needs to happen for M.2 samsung 950 pro evo that needs to be changed let me know. Its booting and working fine so far but not sure if theres anything that needs to be changed in the bios.
126 REPLIES 126

Nate152
I've never used the black ice nemesis but they're always near or at the top of the list for high performance radiators.

The black ice nemesis 360 gtr is 54.7mm thick and you'd only need one of these to cool everything, it would be the way to go and it would keep it simple. The pump won't be working as hard with 1 rad.

Click the dimensions.

http://hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/gtr/gtr-360/

It's good to be concerned about leaking but as long as you take your time and be 100% sure what you're doing all will go well and it's not difficult. One important thing is don't over tighten your fittings this can crack your waterblocks. I do hand tight then 1/8th of a turn to snug it up.

I hope you can make time for your pc tonight. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
I've never used the black ice nemesis but they're always near or at the top of the list for high performance radiators.

The black ice nemesis 360 gtr is 54.7mm thick and you'd only need one of these to cool everything, it would be the way to go and it would keep it simple. The pump won't be working as hard with 1 rad.

Click the dimensions.

http://hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/gtr/gtr-360/

It's good to be concerned about leaking but as long as you take your time and be 100% sure what you're doing all will go well and it's not difficult. One important thing is don't over tighten your fittings this can crack your waterblocks. I do hand tight then 1/8th of a turn to snug it up.

I hope you can make time for your pc tonight. 🙂

Yea me too. I got a christmas party to go to first and hopefully its not too late when i get back home.

But yea if it can somehow cool two (possibly three in future but a long ways away) gtx 1080 ftw gaming acx3 cards, i7 6900k overclocked, maybe ram with two on one side and two on the other side of the cpu as well as the chipset or whatever like ur cooling on yours then it would be awesome. Just wandering if that single 5.25' bay pump/reservoir would be good or if the dual 5.25 bay one will be better. Its definitely soemthing i been looking at doing and i follow JaysTwoCents on youtube since he does alot of watercooling for atleast a decade i think.

How often do you maintain it and whats the maintenance on them to keep them up and running and all?

Nate152
Well I use koolance coolant and as far as I know the'ye the only ones that recommend changing the coolant every 2-3 years, everyone else says to change it every year so it's a little less hassle with koolance coolant.

I wouldn't go with three gpu's as of right now 2 way sli is supported in games, 3 and 4 way sli is supported for certain benchmarks.

For ram blocks I like the EK monarch x4 it can cool two or four sticks so you'd want 2 of these.

There is the original Nickel CSQ, hover over it with your mouse and you'll see it's frosted with circles.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ram-monarch-x4-nickel-original-csq

Then the clear nickel which I like.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ram-monarch-x4-nickel

I figure you want clear blocks to show the red coolant.

Here is what they look like with uv acid green coolant just scroll through the pics, if you have one too many beers tonight wait til tomorrow to play with your pc, have fun at the christmas party ! 😄

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?60778-The-Benefits-Of-Watercooling-the-Rampage-V-Extreme/pa...

Nate152 wrote:
Well I use koolance coolant and as far as I know the'ye the only ones that recommend changing the coolant every 2-3 years, everyone else says to change it every year so it's a little less hassle with koolance coolant.

I wouldn't go with three gpu's as of right now 2 way sli is supported in games, 3 and 4 way sli is supported for certain benchmarks.

For ram blocks I like the EK monarch x4 it can cool two or four sticks so you'd want 2 of these.

There is the original Nickel CSQ, hover over it with your mouse and you'll see it's frosted with circles.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ram-monarch-x4-nickel-original-csq

Then the clear nickel which I like.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ram-monarch-x4-nickel

I figure you want clear blocks to show the red coolant.

Here is what they look like with uv acid green coolant just scroll through the pics, if you have one too many beers tonight wait til tomorrow to play with your pc, have fun at the christmas party ! 😄

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?60778-The-Benefits-Of-Watercooling-the-Rampage-V-Extreme/pa...

Yea well i would only do 3 gpus so i can utilize the cuda cores fro gpu rendering in 3d animation. Thats really the reason why i build this machine with the performance parts i have in it and spent the money on the 6900k instead of the 6700 or 6850 or whatever.

Once a year still isnt bad and i could handle that no problem.

Well i got 4 ram slots on each side so i got two sticks on each side in slots 1 and 3 on both sides so it skips a slot between the ram. But im sure it would still work. Hopefully it would work for the trident z ram i got.

Yea i like the clear better but frosted aint bad but clear is better for sure. i like the look of seeing the coolant in it. Did i post a link to the ek parts i was looking at getting for you to see? cant remember.

But 3 and 4 way SLI with the new 1080s dont come that way from factory or off shelf i was told by nvidia they have to unlock that for u. They come as 1 or 2 way sli off the shelf.

Nate152
I don't do any rendering so I can't really comment on it but if a third gpu will help then yeah go for it, the 1080 Ti is supposedly coming in january which should make it available to us in february.

The 1080 Ti will have Titan X performance at a lower cost, Nvidia did the same thing with maxwell too.

You don't have to liquid cool the ram, DDR4 runs at low voltage and doesn't get hot, it would be strictly for looks. They have the monarch x2 ram block it's just thinner. It will work with basically any ram, you need to remove the heat spreaders and install the monarch modules. There are screw holes at the top on each end of the module to fasten the waterblock.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ram-monarch-module-black-2pcs

No I didn't see your parts list please post it. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
I don't do any rendering so I can't really comment on it but if a third gpu will help then yeah go for it, the 1080 Ti is supposedly coming in january which should make it available to us in february.

The 1080 Ti will have Titan X performance at a lower cost, Nvidia did the same thing with maxwell too.

You don't have to liquid cool the ram, DDR4 runs at low voltage and doesn't get hot, it would be strictly for looks. They have the monarch x2 ram block it's just thinner. It will work with basically any ram, you need to remove the heat spreaders and install the monarch modules. There are screw holes at the top on each end of the module to fasten the waterblock.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ram-monarch-module-black-2pcs

No I didn't see your parts list please post it. 🙂

oh ok i thoyght i posted the link to it but this is what i got so far. Well what i got from EK's configurator atleast.

http://www.skycloudphotography.com/NewBuild/EKWB-Custom Loop Configurator.pdf

Yea 3 would help for sure with rendering in 3d if doing gpu rendering and not cpu but 3 will be a while from now probably. I probably wouldnt really liquid cool the ram anyway really. like you said theres really no need doing it. Id only do the gpu's, cpu and chipset on mobo like you did if i did anything.

Nate152
All right

Yeah no need to liquid cool the ram, in fact you can go up to 1.50v on air safley this is why I want you to try the Dram voltage at 1.40v and 1.45v, then work with the cpu system agent voltage, if you have the cpu vccio voltage you can work with it too, so you're only going to adjust two or three voltages at the most.

Dram voltage 1.40v - 1.45v

If you have the vccio voltage set it to 1.30v.

Start with the Dram voltage at 1.40v then try the CPU System agent voltage at 1.25v if no go try 1.30v, if no go try 1.35v, then 1.368v which was what your overclocking article showed.

If it doesn't go at all then bump up the Dram voltage to 1.45v and try the cpu system agent voltage again starting with 1.25v.

Your link isn't showing anything, it just says skycloud photography.

Nate152 wrote:
All right

Yeah no need to liquid cool the ram, in fact you can overclock it on air safely up to 1.50v this is why I want you to try the Dram voltage at 1.40v and 1.45v, then work with the cpu system agent voltage, if you have the cpu vccio voltage you can work with it too, so you're only going to adjust

Dram voltage 1.40v - 1.45v

Start with the Dram voltage at 1.40v then try the CPU System agent voltage at 1.25v if no go try 1.30v, if no go try 1.35v, then 1.368v which was what your overclocking article showed.

If it doesn't go at all then bumb the Dram voltage to 1.45v and try the cpu systeam agent voltage again starting with 1.25v.

Your link isn't showing anything, it just says skycloud photography.

ok now try that link. This was done through the configurator but i added a few more things to it. Some of the fittings are nickel plating but they dont have any instock so i couldnt add them but fittings will be either black or red for the ones the tubing goes in.

The system agent voltage on mine that i saw wasnt bale to adjust it like that. It had two fields that worked together with it that one had a + or - in it and then below you typed in a voltage to add too or take away from the voltage i guess. from what i saw in it, if you type a voltage in it, then it will add that or subtrct it from the original i think. Not sure as i dont know that board that well.

Nate152
All right

If it's done with offset take a look at what the cpu system agent voltage is reading, for example if it's showing 0.900v then you would use a positive offset of +0.350v, this should then put the cpu system agent voltage at 1.25v, for 1.30v you would use + 0.400v and so on up to where the cpu system agent voltage is showing 1.368v, don't go any higher than this.

Check it after each change you make.

Nate152 wrote:
All right

If it's done with offset take a look at what the cpu system agent voltage is reading, for example if it's showing 0.900v then you would use a positive offset of +0.350v, this should then put the cpu system agent voltage at 1.25v, for 1.30v you would use + 0.400v and so on up to where the cpu system agent voltage is showing 1.368v, don't go any higher than this.

Check it after each change you make.

ok ill try that and see what it does and go from there.