cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overclocking failed on deluxe ii

mjohnson24
Level 9
i have the Asus x99 Deluxe ii Mobo, (4) 16gb sticks of Gskill Trident Z 3200mhz ram, Evga 1200w P2 PSU, Intel i7 6900k, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0, Samsung EVO 950 Pro M.2. I have recently just last night updated the PSU from an 850 watt to an EVGA 1200w P2. This one has the ability to use the 8 pin power and 4 pin power as the previous PSU didnt. Now that i got it all installed last night, for somereason when i booted it only said i had 32gbs of ram when i actually had 64. Got that to read correctly now but my ram is the 3200mhz ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232328 ). Its on the QVL list for Asus so thats good. I think it has something to do with something being overclocked or something but i dont know what. it worked fine before with my 850watt.

I have XMP switch turned on on the Mobo and in the bios i think i switched it to auto or something to get it to actually boot normally. But bios reads it as 2133 not 3200 like it should i think.

Now i also have the Corsair h100i gtx cpu cooler and when i booted my PC it said something about fan speed to low or check fan speed so to fix that i had to go to bios and go to monitor tab and set "CPU Fan Speed" to ignore so i wouldnt get that error and it would boot as well.

Can someone help me with steps to what i need to do to fix these issues. Also if you know of any bios changes that needs to happen for M.2 samsung 950 pro evo that needs to be changed let me know. Its booting and working fine so far but not sure if theres anything that needs to be changed in the bios.
126 REPLIES 126

Nate152

Nate152
Your temps look great but I don't see anything showing your ram at 3200MHz.

Try using advanced mode instead of EZ mode.

I see you have the cpu system agent offset +0.350v, what is the cpu system agent voltage showing as the actual value?

Nate152 wrote:
Your temps look great but I don't see anything showing your ram at 3200MHz.

Try using advanced mode instead of EZ mode.

I see you have the cpu system agent offset +0.350v, what is the cpu system agent voltage showing as the actual value?

Well the ram i think so far according to bios is running i think at 3060. Ill have to check it again later when i get home. As far as the System agent, ill have to check it as well when i get home. Im not sure what it is.

What i may do when i get home is reset everything back to defaults. Ill save it as a profile in bios first then uninstall AiSuite so it dont try to interfere with settings and then ill try following this guys settings hes doing in the youtube video.

One thing the images dont show is if i use prime95 and set the ratio to 40 like in the first image, the temp actually rises to like between 73-76c and has sometimes got to 81-83c which was turning red. But the Aida64 link above was incorrect. The link below is with Aida64 stress test ability. So Prime95 showed temps really high like previously mentioned but Aida64 System Stability test only got between 48c - 55c. Theres another temp program ill have to find which i think u can see a little bit on this video that he uses that people seem to go by more and be more accurate and ill see what it does. Im just wandering if my h100i gtx is good enough for my CPU to be overclocked under heavy load like prime95 at a ratio of 40 which is making my cpu be at 4ghz and the aio is good enough to cool my cpu at that setting.

AIDA64 with a CPU ration of 40 running system stability test with "Stress CPU" selected only.
http://www.skycloudphotography.com/NewBuild/Aida64_R40.PNG

youtube video of overclocking i found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h8jWBd0XL4&list=FLVbKBx1kQ4KBwxvR-65wJUQ&index=1

i wanna say the system agent was between .700 and .900 but again ill have to boot into bios and see what that is for sure. Ill write allt he settigns down and post them of what it is at this current time before i try whats in the video.

What program will give me an accurate reading of what my cpu is clocked at and my ram as well?

Nate152
All right thanks for the update !

The video you found how to set your ram is good, at the top of the AI Tweaker it will show your cpu and ram speed. You can check the timings in Dram Timing control and make sure the command rate is set to 2.

It looks like you're making progress with the ram at 3060MHz, that's an odd memory speed and could be because the BCLK is set to 102.00, make sure the BCLK is set to 100.00. There's nothing wrong with resetting to defaults and starting over, I do it too if my pc acts up from overclocking.

I see the Dram voltage is at 1.36v, you can try this at 1.40v and up to 1.45v, this should help you get to 3200MHz but first I'd like you to set the BCLK to 100 .00 and I'd like to know what the cpu system agent voltage is showing with an offset of+0.350v.

Nate152 wrote:
All right thanks for the update !

The video you found how to set your ram is good, at the top of the AI Tweaker it will show your cpu and ram speed. You can check the timings in Dram Timing control and make sure the command rate is set to 2.

It looks like you're making progress with the ram at 3060MHz, that's an odd memory speed and could be because the BCLK is set to 102.00, make sure the BCLK is set to 100.00. There's nothing wrong with resetting to defaults and starting over, I do it too if my pc acts up from overclocking.

I see the Dram voltage is at 1.36v, you can try this at 1.40v and up to 1.45v, this should help you get to 3200MHz but first I'd like you to set the BCLK to 100 .00 and I'd like to know what the cpu system agent voltage is showing with an offset of+0.350v.

Ok ill be playing with it more when i get home and seeing what i can get out of it. I think that AiSuite program from asus sets my bios through it instead of booting into the bios and doing it all the time but ill play with it and go from there.

I think this is with Ratio set to 40 ( 4ghz) with aida system report to sew hat it pulled.
http://www.skycloudphotography.com/NewBuild/Aida64SystemReport.PNG

This is with the same. Aida64 at 4ghz
http://www.skycloudphotography.com/NewBuild/aisuite3_1.PNG
http://www.skycloudphotography.com/NewBuild/aisuite3_2.PNG

I know the cpu temps with prime 95 running at a cpu ratio of 40 and 39 the temps where reporting above 70c and turning red but cpu ratio at 38 didnt report as red.

Now with aida64 system stability test it showed ok with it at 40. Im guessing Prime95 runs it harder than aida64

Nate152
That confirms you have your ram at 3060MHz.

Yeah uninstall ai suite and do your overclocking in the bios, with the BCLK at 102 this will raise the cpu and Dram frequencies. So when you set your ram to 3200MHz with the BCLK at 102 it will be showing higher and right now we don't want that. Set the BCLK back to 100.00 then it should show the cpu at 4000MHz and the Dram at 3200MHz when you set it.

I'm still interested in the actual cpu system agent voltage. I see the CPU VCCIO voltage at 1.25v which is good and you can take it to 1.30v if needed.

I'd stick with Aida64, if you can pass the stress test your system is currently stable. 🙂

Nate152 wrote:
That confirms you have your ram at 3060MHz.

Yeah uninstall ai suite and do your overclocking in the bios, with the BCLK at 102 this will raise the cpu and Dram frequencies. So when you set your ram to 3200MHz with the BCLK at 102 it will be showing higher and right now we don't want that. Set the BCLK back to 100.00 then it should show the cpu at 4000MHz and the Dram at 3200MHz when you set it.

I'm still interested in the actual cpu system agent voltage. I see the CPU VCCIO voltage at 1.25v which is good and you can take it to 1.30v if needed.

I'd stick with Aida64, if you can pass the stress test your system is currently stable. 🙂

ok ill try that tonight when i get home and see what happens. My guess is aisuite is toying with the settings as well as bios and thats why im getting the overclock issue initially before. But ill definitely use aida64 instead. I was told Prime95 is good but it pushes the cores really hard like harder than other programs.

So How did you ever figure out all the settings and voltages and what voltages to really change for all this?

Nate152
Well setting up your ram is basically the same as mine and the higher speed and more capacity you have the more voltage you'll likely need to get it stable. We still don't know what you need for 3200MHz but you're almost there and I have confidence you can get your 64GB of ram to 3200MHz.

The only three voltages you should need to play with are:

CPU System Agent voltage
CPU VCCIO voltage
Dram voltage

I see in Chino's guide you can raise the CPU Input voltage, defualt is 1.80v or 1.90v and I wouldn't go any higher than 1.95v with it.

But yeah set the BCLK back to 100.00 then set the Dram frequency to 3200MHz, if it don't go try raising the Dram voltage to 1.40v - 1.45v. Once you get it booting at 3200MHz then you can fine tune the voltages.

Nate152 wrote:
Well setting up your ram is basically the same as mine and the higher speed and more capacity you have the more voltage you'll likely need to get it stable. We still don't know what you need for 3200MHz but you're almost there and I have confidence you can get your 64GB of ram to 3200MHz.

The only three voltages you should need to play with are:

CPU System Agent voltage
CPU VCCIO voltage
Dram voltage

I see in Chino's guide you can raise the CPU Input voltage, defualt is 1.80v or 1.90v and I wouldn't go any higher than 1.95v with it.

But yeah set the BCLK back to 100.00 then set the Dram frequency to 3200MHz, if it don't go try raising the Dram voltage to 1.40v - 1.45v. Once you get it booting at 3200MHz then you can fine tune the voltages.

ok well ill be playing with it tonight probably. I wont go too high on the cpu overclock until i get some kind of custom watercooling on it thats more robust than the AIO i have but ill get it till it starts getting into the 70's and back off maybe but ill see. At somepoint i may get something like the Phanteks Enthoo Primo which seems to be a really good case for watercooling. I jsut need to make sure i have room for atleast three HDD's and an SSD or two which that case looks like i could. With that if i take out one of the HDD cages and jsut let the top 3 slot cage hang i can put a 480rad on bottom and a 480 on top. May have to be the thin ones as the 60mm or 80mm is a tight fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJDQVonZNMw

If you lived closer to me id be hagin with you alot to pick your brain and teach me more of the overclocking stuff and all.

Nate152
Yeah the phanteks ethnoo is a great case for water cooling and there are different versions of the ethnoo series.

If you want the best of the best in pc cases Caselabs is it and they cost more than the average pc case, they are customizable and you can get a pedestal for most of their cases.

http://www.caselabs-store.com/pc-cases/

The pc I showed you of the monarch ram blocks is the mercury S8, the motherboard mounts horizontally in that case.