cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking 4930k on RIVF

Johnny5
Level 7
Picked up a 4930k and have it stable (well mostly stable, Prime stable for about 4 hours) at 4.5 offset +0.070. XMP profile 1866mhz, CPU Load Line Calibration set to Medium.
I have not touched any other settings yet.

Temps are fine as I have a ton of cooling. I am trying to push it but I dunno. If I am stuck at 4.5 it wont be the end of the world and I wont rage quit my overclocking, but it would be cool to see how much more I can get out of this chip.

I have tried to increase to 4.6, 4.7, 4.8 by increasing the offset up to .120 with no luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
MB: Rampage V Extreme
CPU: i7 5930k - 4.6 @ 1.36
RAM: 16gb G Skill 2666mhz - 15-15-15-35 2T
PSU: Lepa 1600
GFX: 4 x EVGA SC Titans
Disks: 4 x Samsung 840 Pro
Monitors: 3 x Rog Swift

CaseLabs STH10 Custom Loop, 2040mm of Cooling Goodness
27 REPLIES 27

Bliz33
Level 7
don't know nearly as much as the others....and they're bound to chime in soon
but from what i know/ have learned so far.....

1.more info....what voltage is it taking to run at that speed...

i don't think you'd need to adjust anything but vcore...

vtt and vcc probably dont need adjusting @1866

i'd just say more juice....but if it takes a significant increase in voltage to run more...then you may have reached your 24/7 threshold...
seems to be a prevalent theme with many of these chips when you're trying to push it harder

you already have a good OC if that's stable enough for you...and if it is taking ~1.34 to run at that speed....then pushing it harder will probably get you to ~1.4ish...and i, personally, wouldn't run it that high...i wish i could get to 4.5...:cool:

i might be spewing nonsense but i noticed that with my chip @ 4.3-4.4 and a few others when reading around...pushing it harder simply takes a significant jump in voltage

p.s......search for a post from RAJA@ASUS...he presented a decent sample size of 4930ks with X speeds @ X voltages......that should give you a better idea of where you're at with your chip

Bliz33
Level 7
double

chrisnyc75
Level 12
You're gonna have to tell us what vcore that offset is giving you, we can't give you advice based on an offset when we don't know what it's based on.

The rule with IB-e, most agree, is that 1.4v is the vcore max. Whatever oc you can achieve UNDER that is your particular chip's maximum.
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip tipping point is what I call it. What it is - that point where an exponential increase in voltage is required for an incremental increase of frequency.

1.4 has been bandied about as a target for 24/7 use but really it is all about the cooling. If your cooling allows 4.7GHz for example at 1.44 volts and under 70'c with a load then no worries in my book. But if that voltage under load pushes you to the upper 90's then no do not go there.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the replies.

At a 0.070 offset under load I am at 1.424 vcore. Temps under load are at mid 50s with radiator fans only running 50% and pump on medium. I don't mind running 24/7 at 1.42 or 1.45 so long as my temps are where HiVizMan pointed out.

When I try to go to 4.6, even .120 offset isn't enough. I was thinking that perhaps manually setting vcore instead of using offset might help achieve a higher oc?
MB: Rampage V Extreme
CPU: i7 5930k - 4.6 @ 1.36
RAM: 16gb G Skill 2666mhz - 15-15-15-35 2T
PSU: Lepa 1600
GFX: 4 x EVGA SC Titans
Disks: 4 x Samsung 840 Pro
Monitors: 3 x Rog Swift

CaseLabs STH10 Custom Loop, 2040mm of Cooling Goodness

Johnny5 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

At a 0.070 offset under load I am at 1.424 vcore. Temps under load are at mid 50s with radiator fans only running 50% and pump on medium. I don't mind running 24/7 at 1.42 or 1.45 so long as my temps are where HiVizMan pointed out.

When I try to go to 4.6, even .120 offset isn't enough. I was thinking that perhaps manually setting vcore instead of using offset might help achieve a higher oc?

most of the long-time ocers will probably say stick with off-set......having the cpu under-volted when it's underclocked is a win-win situation....constantly zapping the cpu w/ X voltage is only going to degrade it even faster

if it's just benching...then go ahead and go all out with manual

but for 24/7 usage i'd definitely stick with offset

imo...just call it quits with what you have....i'd even reel it in a little....but i tend to go with the motto of "safer than sorry" with a 24/7 oc

ftimsters
Level 7
Hay my experience with my 4960 was 1.4 can't go to 4.7 and I'm not willing to go higher but I can prime all day at 4.6 1.375vcor my understanding is your chip should do better I'm at med llc 120% optimized phase control good luck maybe try RMA you chip

HiVizMan
Level 40
Totally agree offset is the way to go with CPUs today for a 24/7 oc.

Benching manual voltage and then change it in software in line with your multi increases in OS.

So I boot in at 4.4 GHz for example at a voltage of 1.4 then in OS change my voltage to 1.65 and my multi to 5.5 select enable and then move up to my next check point before maxing my system out CPU dependant.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hatross
Level 10
take the offset one notch past when the digits turn red... see if your vcore goes any higher than 1.42v
...wide open