I’m a new owner of the following build:
Fractal R4 Pearl
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Intel 4770k with Corsair H100i
G.Skill TridentX 16GB 2400mhz CL10
2x XFX 280x DD
Samsung 840EVO 120GB
Corsair RM1000W

I have tested to system to be stable under stock values with XMP turned on. I tested this via Aida64 Stability Test which Is kind of stressful and runs all parts at full power, for a few hours. I also ran Prime95 Blend and Small FFTs for a few hours and Unigine bench for around 6 hours. Now, I always overclock my system and this one is no exception.

I looked through various sources that had guides for Haswell and particularly 4770k overclocking. I was able to reach 4.4ghz and 4.5ghz with ease and boot up to windows. I achieved these with 1.25vcore. I ran Aida64 and Prime95 Small FFTs for an hour for both of these without issues.

However when I try to use anything GPU related, the computer crashes. It can be as small thing as starting up GPU-z to check on temps. The system ALWAYS crashes with atikmpag.sys and error code 0x00000116. I tried upping the vcore as high as 1.35, but the same thing still happened. I also tried to up the PCH voltage, Cache voltage and CPU Input Voltage, of course by small amounts and checking the amounts on guides. I also tried the CPU Level UP which is available in the Hero Bios. I'm kind of stumped here on how to get my overclock stable on 4.4 - 4.5ghz. I can provide minidumps if they help to solve the issue.

Also I only had time to briefly test the AiTuner, but when I overclocked the computer to 4.4ghz through it, I was able to run GPU-z without a crash. When I go to bios and set the exactly same settings there as in AiTuner, the computer crashes when running GPU-Z.

My overclock settings have been as follows: BCLK 100, Multiplier 44-45, CPU Cache speed on Auto (3900Mhz), Vcore 1.25 - 1.35 (Also tried adaptive with 0.05). All the other options basically untouched, with maybe small adaptive on cache, agent and pch.

Thanks for your help guys!
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hii commpi, The atikmpag.sys crash has to do with your amd gpu driver. You could try a different driver version, It's possible this file got corrupted too.

Hey,

I was using the new 14.1 beta drivers as they enable Mantle support and it helps with BF4. And I just don't understand how the gpu doesn't crash if I have not overclocked, I mean the drivers work flawlessly if I run with stock settings, and overclocking causes the driver to crash. How does that work? But I am going to try older 13.12 drivers now and see if anythings different. Thanks for replying.

comppi
Level 7
It has to be due to the overclock. I tried older drivers and the driver still crashes when overclocked. The computer is 100% stable at stock clocks, not a problem doing anything. But when I overclock the CPU even a little, the computer crashes when doing anything with the GPU. Can anyone help me get the system stable with 4.4ghz or so? I really don't know how to start figuring this out as I think Vcore has nothing to do with the crashing. I read somewhere that 0x116 crashing is related to the GPU and is more frequent with crossfire systems as mine. I also read that upping the PCH voltage can help with crashing, but I really don't know how much I can raise it with being relatively safe. Getting desperate :(.

Nate152

Nope, just with raising the multiplier!

Nate152
if it is fine at stock and only happens when you overclock your cpu, it is sounding like a power issue. I see you have a corsair 1000w psu so this shouldn't be a problem. Turn off your machine and check the 6pin/8pin power connectors to your graphics cards, make sure they are all connected and clicked into place.

comppi
Level 7
They are well in place and it can't be a power issue. Im mining with both of my cards at 100% usage without any problems. I also have tried over and underclocking the gpus when the cpu has stock clocks. No problems at all. And cpu overclock is nothing compared to 100% gpu usage. Qhen I overclock the cpu everything crashes the gpu. I mean just starting gpu-z makes it crash. And that doesn't take much power. This issue is so strange and random and I just don't get it. I appreciate you trying to help me.

Nate152
No problem comppi, Sorry I can't be more help. The next thing I would suggest is calling your gpu tech support, It's possible you received a faulty card.

comppi
Level 7
Yeah.. It might be faulty but I think its going to be kinda hard to explain it when they work flawlessly when using stock speeds, which is all they have to be able to do.

Still I'd be happy to have advice if anyone has suggestions