cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onboard Audio Not Working on Maximus V Extreme

Dzuks
Level 7
I was rearranging some LED lights in my case this past Wednesday and decided to also update my mobo's drivers. After completion and turning on my rig, my onboard I couldn't hear any sound. Everything was plugged in perfectly like they were before, but all I get is a humming sound from my speakers. I have done everything from a clean install to unplugging everything but my harddrives to no avail. Before I go ahead and RMA this mobo, I was wondering if anyone here has anything to add. I'm watercooling my CPU and GPUs, so anything to prevent my having to remove the mobo would be very much appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17

I stayed away from doing that with all the sticky bios issues these mobos have been having. Audio was working fine on the current bios until 2 days ago, so I figured it was nothing bios related.

Dzuks wrote:
I stayed away from doing that with all the sticky bios issues these mobos have been having. Audio was working fine on the current bios until 2 days ago, so I figured it was nothing bios related.

Was just a question. Not a suggestion to update them. But since we're on the topic, what version BIOS are you running?

And when you said clean install, you mean a fresh Windows installation correct? And I assume you've installed the Realtek drivers?

Also are you using the front audio or the audio port from back?

Chino wrote:
Was just a question. Not a suggestion to update them. But since we're on the topic, what version BIOS are you running?

And when you said clean install, you mean a fresh Windows installation correct? And I assume you've installed the Realtek drivers?

Also are you using the front audio or the audio port from back?

Sorry, don't take offense to that at all... I was just being silly that's all... And I did do a clean install of windows and installed my Realtek drivers... One weird thing that keeps happening is, whenever I plugged in my rear audio outputs, they keep showing up as front audio outputs even when the front onboard jack is unplugged. Even worse, when the onboard front audio jack is connected and i plug in my headphones, I still get the same humming sound just like from my speakers. :confused:

feniks
Level 11
Have try tried a CMOS clear?
.: R3C0NF1GUR3D :.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

feniks wrote:

Yeah, that was the first thing I did actually. Was thinking about doing one last one before calling in an RMA.

feniks wrote:

Yeah, that was the first thing I did actually. Was thinking about doing one last one before calling in an RMA.

feniks
Level 11
odd ... maybe try removing all the powered cables (8-pin, 24-pin, USB devices, etc.) from the motherboard and remove the 3.3V battery for 30 minutes ... in meantime pray to digital gods that it comes back.

if that doesn't help then I'd try a BIOS re-flash followed by a CMOS clear and loading optimized defaults before calling the RMA.
.: R3C0NF1GUR3D :.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Chino
Level 15
Go into the Realtek HD Audio Manager click the Folder icon and tick the Disable Front Panel Jack Detection. See if this fixes your problem.