cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

older rampage iv windows 10 support

OliPicard
Level 7
Greetings AOG,

I'm currently using a Rampage IV Extreme motherboard (bf3 edition) with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s), I have been greeted with the new Windows 10 reserve offer, I'm currentlty using Windows 7 as the base OS with the base BIOs,
The reserve checker shows no issues with upgrading to the newer platform however I'm yet to see Asus give the green light on the upgrade path for Windows 10.

Ideally I'd like to know the following.

• Will Asus support Windows 10 on older ROG Motherboards such as the Rampage IV (BF3)
  • What steps will need to take place for someone to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with any driver/firmware changes.
  • What are the overall risks of upgrading from Windows 7 to 10. If for example Windows 10 fails to install or Asus doesn't provide the right drivers can I go back to Windows 7?

My Motherboard specs are as follows.

My Specs: ASUS® RAMPAGE IV EXTREME: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-3930K (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache
32GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS QUAD-DDR3 1600MHz X.M.P(8 x 4GBKIT)

Note in the past I've had problems with X.M.P when upgrading to the newer BIOS. In the end the PC company decided to keep my BIOS on the factory new version.

Many Thanks
Oliver
33 REPLIES 33

yzmxer608
Level 7
Is it even worth upgrading to 10 until we get SATA and audio drivers? Basically the only reason I'm waiting to upgrade. Want to make sure my RAID setup (raid 0 with 2 WD black caviars, planning on deleting the raid array and wiping the drives, then re-creating it again before installing 10 on the SSD) will work correctly.

Snakeyes
Level 11
I updated my system without messing with any new drivers. The windows 10 installment work like a charm and all drivers were updated during the install process. I used the media tool so I did not have to wait for windows 10 update queue. Used to love Windows 7, but Windows 10 rocks.

PS forgot to down-clock my system when doing the upgrade but all went well at 48 GHz. Incidentally all my software including Microsoft Outlook 2007, Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13, AIDA64, Acronis 13 are all working fine. The only problem is with Samsung magician which works but does not enable rapid on the 850 Pro.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

zoomee
Level 7
My upgrade went fine too - its the clean install that leaves drivers out.

Also interesting point to note about Acronis 2013 - It works fine after an upgrade, but if you try to reinstall or install from a clean build it won't let you. I had to upgrade to 2015 😞
1700X B350/RX570 STRIX

ChiefZeke
Level 10
Have to add: upgraded to Win10 here with no problems - took almost two hours - had to make minor changes to get the desktop to look as I wanted. Also no issues when I updated my #2 system.
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

yzmxer608
Level 7
Thanks guys, I think I'll wait a while to see how the drivers progress. I'd rather do a clean install than upgrade.

emaratee
Level 9
Upgrade went fine ... but, been having occasional driver crashes during gaming for NVidia and Gigabit Ethernet which never had such thing before.

Snakeyes
Level 11
People planning a clean install we should consider an upgrade install first. This would ensure activation of the free Windows 10 which could then be followed by a clean install when you feel that the drivers are ready. They have been quite a few cases where the clean install created a problem with activation.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro

kawasakizx10rr
Level 8
my upgrade went smoothly with the cpu still overclocked and the 1404 bios "the first one never updated it", I just updated to 10 from 7 pro and all my programs/drivers work except my sound card of which the win 8.1 driver works fine. I even got the win 7 rog theme to work except the start menu icon of which i am trying to change :). I have not needed to install any new asus drivers all i did is use DDU and install a new amd driver for win 10 just as i thought it would be better than the oem one. the oem driver cause my pc to shut down slowly ruffly 5 extra seconds, now it is just as fast as 7 with the different amd ccc.
FYI you can buy asus rive bios chips on ebay for super cheap with the any bios version flashed on them if you dont like the bios update procedure, then its juts a simple swap of the chips 😛
I will buy 2 with the win 10 bios on them and just keep my 1404,s stock and as spares if i roll back ever

Any idea which folder and number is the start menu icon ? I assume it is the icon folder but it has so many files inside it

I'm not sure what you mean by win10 bios. I presume you are talking about the later bios versions up to 4901. The trouble is, as far as my personal experience goes, I had to make adjustments to settings as I moved up versions of the bios to maintain my stable max overclock. Personally, I have never had an issue flashing the bios, but having a spare bios chip might be a good idea.

Congratulations on the successful upgrade.

Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
Corsair HX1000i digital
Samsung 860 Pro

Snakeyes wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by win10 bios. I presume you are talking about the later bios versions up to 4901. The trouble is, as far as my personal experience goes, I had to make adjustments to settings as I moved up versions of the bios to maintain my stable max overclock. Personally, I have never had an issue flashing the bios, but having a spare bios chip might be a good idea.

Congratulations on the successful upgrade.

the mobo is equipped with 2 bios chips. If one bricks, use the second.