cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC Key on RIVE - Lose video signal sporadicly

Rassal
Level 9
Ok... my PC is stable, been running in Prime95, memtest, linx for 2 weeks now without one single hickup... so i can declare my new build with a light overclock to 4.0ghz on an air cooler. I had to run the memory timings manually instead of XMP, with EXACT SAME settings... i dunno why when i run XMP i get the 12x overclock failed msg, and i don't get that problem when i input the timings manually.... anyway... bottom line, it works and it's stable.

Now... the only left problem, is the video lost signal... and i ran down one last test, that seems to lead me to a problem with the OC Key. As i was running my benches with Prime95, linx, memtest and some gaming... i saw the video signal loss for 1-2 sec constantly, but randomly... could be without one single drop for over an hour, but then, 3-4 drops in like 5 min....

I then proceeded to remove the OC Key and plug in my DVI cable directly in the videocard, and... never saw a signal drop anymore...

I would like to remind that i was, since i build the rig, experiencing video signal loss on a random scheme...

I am now running 0018 bios like 2 weeks ago, and this is the one i am running with small 4.0ghz overclock... system is totaly stable, got like 2-3 runs of Prime95 for 8hours straight without any problem, i can do gaming as long as i want without problems and i can sleep or hibernate without problem... stable for a 24/7 rig... beside the video signal loss...

Now, it's a video signal loss, as the driver doesn't fail... it's only that the screen blacks out for like 1-2 sec, and when it blacks out, i get the picture of my DVI port on the top left of my Dell 27 inch monitor, leaving me informed that the monitor loss it's DVI input signal... (i did check with a remote destop with VNC and when the blackout occurs, only the monitor loses the signal, the remote VNC doesn't move a tad, and i don't get a video driver failed.

Needless to say, that the only thing that sits beside my crossfire setup of videocards and my monitor is the OC Key and my DVI cable... i did swap the video cards to see if it would change anything (as i am using crossfire)... to see if it was one of the videocards but the problem stays whatever the videocard is in the primary slot... so it couldn't be the videocards themselves... (since swapping them resulted in the same problem ans since i tested remote desktop to see if it's a driver issue)

Last thing i said i was testing was to remove the OC Key from the loop, and everytime the OC Key is out... i don't lose video signal anymore... Whenever i put it back... the video signal loss problem comes back...

What would be the next step? I can't test the OC Key on another computer as it woudn;t be plugged... so i think this is out of the loop... could i?

I flashed my OC Key with 1003 firmware, and i don';t think there is another one... so i am out of options here...

Should i RMA the OC Key? I would like to make sure it really is the OC Key that is acting up...

I am running my computer at 1920x1200 which is my native LCD monitor resolution (Dell 2709) and also happens to be the max resolution the OC Key supports... so it should work... but it seems to be the cause of my signal loss to my monitor... any idea?
Rampage IV Extreme (4802) + Core i7-3930K @ 4.3GHZ + Corsair H100i Push Config.
VCore = 1.33v | LLC = Auto | VTT = 1.10v | 2nd VTT = Auto | VCCSA = 1.10v | PLL = 1.78125v
G.Skill Ripjawz Z 32GB DDR3-1866 @ 1866 (8x4gb) Using XMP profile#1
Dual Corsair Force GT 120gb Raid-0 Sata 6G RSTe + 1TB WD Blue Sata 6G ASMedia
Dual Sapphire Radeon 6870 xfire - Cooler Master Cosmos II Case
PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950w power supply.
Dell 2709WFP LCD Monitor (1920x1200) - Windows 8.1 Pro x64
5 REPLIES 5

Necrosan
Level 12
You know I don't know of anyone else with a permanently attached OC Key.
Hopefully someone can chime in, but why keep it connected if you've found your stable overclock?
Personally, I'd just unplug the thing until you encounter other issues or intend to push for a higher clock.
Good luck!
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Rassal
Level 9
That is what i did, but i would like to know if anyone else experienced the same kind of video signal loss problem using the OC Key attached.
Rampage IV Extreme (4802) + Core i7-3930K @ 4.3GHZ + Corsair H100i Push Config.
VCore = 1.33v | LLC = Auto | VTT = 1.10v | 2nd VTT = Auto | VCCSA = 1.10v | PLL = 1.78125v
G.Skill Ripjawz Z 32GB DDR3-1866 @ 1866 (8x4gb) Using XMP profile#1
Dual Corsair Force GT 120gb Raid-0 Sata 6G RSTe + 1TB WD Blue Sata 6G ASMedia
Dual Sapphire Radeon 6870 xfire - Cooler Master Cosmos II Case
PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950w power supply.
Dell 2709WFP LCD Monitor (1920x1200) - Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Hi,

I am actually experiencing the same thing when keeping it connected as well. The video signal gets lost for a few seconds every X minutes.

I didn't use it yet but I will only use it to OC then remove it.
Rampage IV Extreme (1305) with Intel Core i7-3820 w/ Corsair H100 push/pull
Corsair Dominator DHX+ 32GB DDR3-1600 @ 1333 (4x8gb) Using XMP profile
Dual Crucial M4 128gb in Raid-0 + 2xWD Caviar Black RAID 1
eVGA Geforce 570
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Corsair 1000W Modular PSU

HiVizMan
Level 40
Never even thought to run the OCKey for longer than I was benching with it.

Interesting question.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi guys
Sorry if I answer only now in this tread but I assembled the PC for about a month and I noticed a problem on the OC-KEY I do not know if I feel hurt is a known problem known bios or another: I am using the 2105 bios
When i Insert the OC_KEY between my Samsung T240HD monitor and my video card HD 6970, runs well like described , but after 5 to 10 minutes begins to flash the monitor becomes dark for 1-2 seconds, as if he lost the video signal, and when the 'image back sometimes shows small green pixels on desktop images below, which seem to follow the contours of the images while within windows that display data of the bios everything is OK (seems to be an intermittent problem of overlay?)
The defect is constant and it happens even if I do not press the play button of the windows of the same, so the defect is created by the presence or not of OC_KEY: a different resolution the defect does not change, I still use ris.di 1920x1200.

Thanks

sandro c.

-----------------------
MB: Rampage IV Extreme bios 2105
CPU: i7 3930K stepping C2 @ 4500 mhz- vcore 1.320 v
RAM: 16gb Corsair Dom.GT 2133- CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 @ 2133 mhz
Cooler: Noctua NDH14-2011
PSU: Enermax 625 modu82+ silver
GFX: HD-6970 2GB ddr5
Disks: 2xOCZ Vertex4 Raid0-2xOCZ Agility2 Raid0-1WD 1TB Caviar
Monitor: Samsung T240HD 1900x1200
Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner