Level 7
Hello there,

I bought this new system 3 days ago and it was stable until today:

-asus impact
-corsair vengeance 8gb 1600
-corsair cx600m
-sapphire 6850 (from old build)
-ocz vertex 3 120gb (also old build)

After receiving it i tested everything outside the case and got it running fine, did some benching, oc the video card, updated bios and tested almost every little function that asus says it provides.

Today i got it all set with every possible peripherals that i would use (s/pdif, mouse, keyboard, usb drive, mic, headphone, wireless antenna dongle) and plugged in another 500gb hard drive.
When i tried to power on, the fans briefly started spinning and stopped in a half second, after some attempts i took the s/pdif out, the system displayed the code 00 and made some weird noises (promptly turned it off) . After taking some more things out (the video card, ssd, hd, out the case, leaving only keyboard and mouse) and clearing cmos, the system posted with the message "USB device over current status detected will shut down in 15 seconds" and "NO Keyboard".
I then tried to leave just the keyboard plugged in, for my surprise it worked, i could access the setup and mess with things. Afraid of the possibility of being bad psu, i plugged in the ssd for it to accuse the error by not handling more power and fail again.
Yeah, it booted. I could use it normally (only keyboard) with wifi, my files and everything... Tried right there to plug in the mouse, and with a windows "usb malfunction" message i lost my keyboard and mouse, unplugging the mouse would give me back the keyboard. I then tried to plug in a usb drive, the explorer displayed it plugged in and out continuously.

Things i already tried:
- Leaving just 2 usb port enabled in bios
- Downgrading bios
- Clearing cmos
- Tested all the usb ports (2.0 and 3.0)

I tough on testing another psu, but hey, everything seems to work fine, would it really be the case?

Thanks for the efforts, I got very afraid after reading so much code 00 errors.
I live in Brazil and it will probably take time for and rma shipping.
20 REPLIES 20

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest just for peace of mind that you try and swap out the PSU.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Le_Flame
Level 7
@HiVizMan

Sorry if i was unclear but i already tried:
Ok, i just did and the same thing happened.

Raja
Level 13
This error message should only arise if more power is being pulled from a port than spec- 500ma is the limit for USB 2.0.

I would try and see if you can pinpoint the device that causes it. If you have a cheap USB keyboard try that. If it does not happen, then possibly some bizarre keyboard fault.

The only other things that would cause this message from the device side is if one of the devices were leaking DC on their input (it can happen with some hubs). A also wondering if there is an issue with stability causing this to manifest (remove any overclock fromt he system to debug).

-mouse razer deathadder 3.5g

-keyboard blackwidow ultimate 2013 (has a pass-trough usb port, headphone and mic)
-sandisk cruizer blade 8gb usb drive
-tried an old razer keyboard (aurantia) too witch worked but only with itself
- WD my passport 1 TB external hard drive
-Charging galaxy s3

Le_Flame
Level 7
The message appeared just that time (with NO KEYBOARD), now everything that i plug in seems to lack power, like:
-a keyboard: ok
-a mouse: ok
-keyboard + mouse: only one of then work (most times the keyboard)

I haven't really overclocked my cpu, i didn't have time to, and also, i cleared my cmos (by button and removing the battery and pressing the start button). Wouldn't it confirm that i have no overclock?
Isn't it possible that the mobo instead is leaking DC? I mean, even just plugging in the sandisk usb drive it cant read it (even without a mouse and a keyboard).

I will be sending the motherboard to rma tomorrow, if you guys have any other tests or tips to do before i send it, i will be happy to give it a try since i really don't want my mobo gone for so much time.

Le.Flame wrote:

Isn't it possible that the mobo instead is leaking DC? I mean, even just plugging in the sandisk usb drive it cant read it (even without a mouse and a keyboard).

The mobos job is to supply DC so no its not the motherboard leaking DC. USB spec stipulates that no external USB device should have DC present on its input.

If it is doing it with no device plugged in, or just one device, then yes RMA it, but also get your PSU professionally checked and be careful with your USB devices - anything which has a USB pass-through or is self-powered when you get the replacement board. If any of those devices is faulty, it may be damaging the board. Same goes for your original PSU.

Raja

ecken3000
Level 7
check if you have the right power going to the 2nd mb power spot(the smaller one) not sure if is even possible but maybe a pci-e is going to it.

Hanakuso
Level 7
I had a similar issue but mine would be fixed when I put 2 out of 4 USB items onto the USB 3.0 ports. Not sure what I would do if I had to use all the USB ports

Le_Flame
Level 7
@ecken3000
Thought the same thing. But as my psu is semi modular, the only 2 cables coming out of the psu are the mobo ones (without any other cable plugged in it). But i deed indeed checked if the particular connector was right.
Thanks for the suggestion.

@Raja@ASUS
Got it. I will try to send the psu for professional tests, as the mobo once was working it maybe could have damaged it? (Also wanna remember that I tested with my old psu and the same thing happened, so if the new psu is bad, then it would have to damage the board for it to not work with other psu).
About the usb devices, I don't really think they are the problem, as i am using all of them for some time, even right now, in a much worse mobo and psu.
Thanks for the heads up.

@Hanakuso
My problem seems to be a worse scenario of a more common issue people been having with usb ports. Its really weird that it is that bad, I am just crossing my fingers for it only to be an isolated case that will be fixed by the rma.

God this sounds like the nightmare days of USB on Windows 95. Keep us updated on what you find out. I recently had a powered hub with the DC on input problem. Tossed it and no permanent loss.

Le_Flame
Level 7
Hello guys,

Mobo came back, i guess the reseller had a spare one, even though it was displaying out of stock in their page.
I also sent the cpu for them to test, and they concluded it really was the mobo.

@tului Yeah, never thought i would have problems with usb ever again. But i guess it really was just a special case.

Anyway, everything is working fine now, maybe it's early to judge, but i guess it will be ok for now.
Again, the system is really fast, now i can see the mobo shining with its attributes.
BTW: I am having the same problems with the headphone jack displaying as speakers in the newest driver, hope Asus fix it and release new drivers, which already seems to be dated.

I wanna thank all of you who had helped me out, thanks a lot.

Topic is solved.