cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No display after updating BIOS Z170-Pro

Wooohah
Level 7
Hey guys,
Ran into a bit of a weird problem, wondering if I should be concerned or not. I'm running an ASUS Z170-Pro motherboard.
I had to update to the latest BIOS, and it went through the installation fine, but I had a black screen upon the boot after restart.

Here's what I did: Formatted USB to FAT32, downloaded BIOS off ASUS Website, extracted the file and copied the CAP file into the USB.
Booted into BIOS and went to Ez flash, selected my USB and selected the CAP file, then I confirmed and let it run.
It completed successfully and asked me to reboot.

It reboots and power cycles a few times. (Turns on for 2-3 sec, turns off with a click, then turns on again, for about 4 times).
Upon the last reboot, it didn't show anything on my monitor, just showed no signal. The "Boot" light was on on the motherboard.

I pressed Ctrl + Alt + Del and that managed to reboot the computer, and I don't notice issues immediately... Is this normal or concerning in any way...? I 'm not sure if I remember this happening when I last updated the BIOS a year ago. I remember the power cycling.

Monitor is an ASUS PG279Q connected via DisplayPort on my GTX 1080, Is that possibly why?
5 REPLIES 5

th3rookie
Level 7
I did experience a similar issue with my Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1. I had to reflash the bios using the Crashfree bios method (and renaming the bios file to Z170ST1.CAP) to get it to boot normally after that. I didn't have any problem since.

-Tommy

Menthol
Level 14
The power cycling is normal, especially when there are MEI and other firmware updates in the new bios. Did you clear cmos before flashing the bios, have you cleared cmos after flash

Are you saying that you still cannot get any display? cannot enter bios and see a display? I would start by removing power from the board, turn off power supply and press and hold the power on button for about a minute to drain any residual voltage the turn on power and check if it will post and you have video, if not then try the suggestion th3rookie posted above

Alright good haha, It scared me initially too 😛

Wooohah
Level 7
I did not clear the CMOS before flashing and I haven't cleared it after. I generally try not to mess with anything in my case haha.
I know I flashed it correctly, and I'm on a UPS that's on a dedicated outlet with a ground as well.

I have display now. When it gave me a black screen, I just waited for a few minutes, then pressed Ctrl Alt Del, and it booted normally into Windows.
Should... I reflash it again?

Menthol
Level 14
No your fine, just gave us a scare 🙂